Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-04, 10:05 PM   #193
Skynet

Send a message via ICQ to Skynet Send a message via AIM to Skynet
Default Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

I only posted the torrent here, no where else. Doesn't matter I take back what I said Jarred.

Peace.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 10:07 PM   #194
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet
I only posted the torrent here, no where else. Doesn't matter I take back what I said Jarred.

Peace.
It's all good dude.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 10:14 PM   #195
MikeC
Administrator

The half-life forums alone have had over 10,000 coming over to this thread, Warp2search has had over 3200 with the atari forums sending another couple thousand. I've had over 6000 and my server crashed twice. Jakup is a popular guy everybody wants to see his stuff.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 11:23 PM   #196
Spotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
"True" HDR lighting (64bit FPblending/filtering),is possible only in the NV40.. (thanks to another feature that is not part of SM3.0 yet) very easily. in the ATI cards nothing like that exist. so HDR lighting is done with many limitations to the point that now many incoming games will use HDR lighting but only in the NV40 hardware.(SplintelCell3/Unreal3 and others). Developers like valve$$ will not have a choice$$ to do HDR in the limited situations that ATI R3xx/R4xx hardware can do it ,using workarounds and in the hard way.
The method currently used on ATI cards is "True" HDR and has been available on R300 cards for almost two years now. NV still doesn't have it in any currently available card.

Besides even when the 6800 line finally hits the shelves in June, no game on the planet will attempt to implement 64bit FPblending/filtering on NV40 hardware. It would end up being a slideshow. It is a useless feature to gamers. NV probably put that in for the Pro Graphic workastation cards. Besides even when the game devs pop HDR into a game and decide to use these so called "hacks and difficult workarounds" it will still run twice as fast on an X800 as compared to any NV40.

X800
http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q.../index.x?pg=27

98xx,68xx,59xx
http://tech-report.com/reviews/2004q.../index.x?pg=26
Spotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 01:33 AM   #197
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotch
The method currently used on ATI cards is "True" HDR and has been available on R300 cards for almost two years now. NV still doesn't have it in any currently available card.

Besides even when the 6800 line finally hits the shelves in June, no game on the planet will attempt to implement 64bit FPblending/filtering on NV40 hardware. It would end up being a slideshow. It is a useless feature to gamers. NV probably put that in for the Pro Graphic workastation cards. Besides even when the game devs pop HDR into a game and decide to use these so called "hacks and difficult workarounds" it will still run twice as fast on an X800 as compared to any NV40.

X800

98xx,68xx,59xx
Actually Radeon cards can only do 'Low Dynamic Range'

The R420's cannot run HDR twice as fast as the NV40, that is competley made up.
Old 05-18-04, 01:49 AM   #198
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotch

X800

98xx,68xx,59xx

Valve seems to not be completly satisfied with the HDR in ATI cards in this interview December2003 (5 moths ago). they are expecting something better ,in their own words " better implementations" i also provide some screenshots. about limitations of previous HDR techniqes. SplintelCEll3 is officially supporting SM3.0 (comming this year) and advanced HDR LIghting effects ,CRoteam programmers of SeriousSAm2 is working with Fp blending capabilities too in their engine.the last time i read that it also was comming this year.

Quote:
"With the GeForce 6800, NVIDIA brings long-awaited true high dynamic range imaging to gaming. The ability to perform blending and filtering on floating-point formats (combined with enormous processing power!) really makes for a wonderful feature that we're definitely looking forward to fully exploit in our Serious Engine™."

Dean Sekulic, Programmer, Croteam

------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I think that NVIDIA's GeForce 6800 is a brilliant card. Because it implements Microsoft DirectX 9.0 features at full speed and quality, it is going to dramatically increase overall performance of today's DirectX 9.0 games, including Painkiller. In particular, it has enough power headroom to do many full scene post-processing effects at very high resolutions with extremely high quality thanks to 64-bit floating point color texture filtering and blending, and shading in 32-bit floating point precision. I am also very happy with the introduction of vertex stream frequency – a wonderful tool that improves batching and allows us to unleash the GeForce 6800's astonishing vertex and pixel throughput."

Klaudiusz Zych, Technology Programmer, People Can Fly

True /easy and /accurate/ HDR rendering is the words i have read many times from game developers to describe the Nv40 new 64bit FP blending/filtering modes.. (used by holywood studios) dont confuse it with half precision .Shading still is done in FP32 (is the minimun for SM3.0). FP Blending/filtering is a must have feature for ADvanced HDR effects and other post processing effects .no other hardware support that .seems that multiple source of light (like the ones one expect to see in games) shows errors in previous HDR techniques ,making them limited for practical usage .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7FP_filtering.jpeg
Views:	302
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	5903  

Last edited by Nv40; 05-18-04 at 03:04 AM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 03:43 AM   #199
Spotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
Valve seems to not be completly satisfied with the HDR in ATI cards in this interview December2003 (5 moths ago). they are expecting something better ,in their own words " better implementations" i also provide some screenshots. about limitations of previous HDR techniqes. SplintelCEll3 is officially supporting SM3.0 (comming this year) and advanced HDR LIghting effects ,CRoteam programmers of SeriousSAm2 is working with Fp blending capabilities too in their engine.the last time i read that it also was comming this year.

True /easy and /accurate/ HDR rendering is the words i have read many times from game developers to describe the Nv40 new 64bit FP blending/filtering modes.. (used by holywood studios) dont confuse it with half precision. Shading still is done in FP32 (is the minimun for SM3.0). FP Blending/filtering is a must have feature for ADvanced HDR effects and other post processing effects .no other hardware support that .seems that multiple source of light (like the ones one expect to see in games) shows errors in previous HDR techniques ,making them limited for practical usage .
What is advanced HDR? HDR that we will see next year or maybe by 2006? Hey we arent rendering star wars here.... we gotta have stuff we can use in a real game before we start treating these images like frames from a movie...

Floating point blending is not a SM 3.0 feature. And for the folks in the cheap seats, R300 hardware is not doing half precision thats an NV thing.

Again how many HDR light sources do you honestly think that NV40 can handle? Uhhhhh maybe two... that is without causing a power supply failure... Anyhow we are talking about science fiction here when it comes to real time rendering capability. You throw more than one HDR source into a scene with more than a cardboard box in it and we have a slide show. But hey if you want these cool effects in a game next year we will all be arguing about NV50 and R500 . <-----Period

Anyhow I love what NV is trying to do but I will let the production teams of FX houses play with it for a couple years. Meanwhile I intend to buy something that will make real games run at the fastest performance levels.
Old 05-18-04, 03:53 AM   #200
Skynet

Send a message via ICQ to Skynet Send a message via AIM to Skynet
Thumbs up Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

Quote:
Meanwhile I intend to buy something that will make real games run at the fastest performance levels.
A seriously sensible statement.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-04, 06:34 AM   #201
pat777
NV420

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick

That sounds like an amazing feature. Low Dynamic Range is much better than High Dynamic Range. With high dynamic range you have too many choices to pick from so it's hard to choose. With Low Dynamic Range it will be easy to pick what level of lighting you want.
pat777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 09:04 AM   #202
OWA

Quote:
Meanwhile I intend to buy something that will make real games run at the fastest performance levels.
Quote:
A seriously sensible statement.
Won't that get you kicked out of the ATI fan club? I thought their motto was "praise IQ above all else".

Edit: In case the smiley wasn't clear enough, I'm joking.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 12:38 PM   #203
Jarred
OUTCAST

anyone ever hear about this?

http://www.paulsprojects.net/opengl/sh/sh.html

because I have a feeling it's going to be popular

it basicly works off of an HDRI image, but simplifies it for realtime.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 03:33 PM   #204
Spotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick

Any lighting precision greater than 8bits is considered HDR so you are wrong.

Secondly I offer the links as a representative comparison of HDR lighting demo by one of the leading experts on HDR renders Paul Debevec and you say I make things up when I am actually only reporting on what proof I could find. If its the case that you just wanted to be nasty and didnt bother with the links, well then what can I say. Otherwise you can get your own "Made Up" stuff using the HDR demo program developed by Mr. Debevec. Its a pretty slick little ficticious demo that you may want to try. Its fun for fabricating proof and you can probably even get it to render an HDR GlowStick.

http://www.debevec.org/

BTW I didnt see any settings for LDR renders????