Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-04, 12:46 AM   #25
hovz

Default Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

i agree that nv40s implementation of shader 3.0 is too early to use effecitvly without killing performance, but those pics DO look good.
hovz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 12:47 AM   #26
freak77power

Quote:
Originally Posted by hovz
while i admit 25 fps isnt optimal and ever since nv30 i tend to prefer ati, i have to admit those pics are a clear improvement. how can u say those pics dont look good? im suprised u said far cry looks better than stalker. how about far cry v CS and doom 3. i know they only showed the xbox version, but u must have previously seen the pc version because u obviously have connections. what about half life v doom3.
Of course they are improvement over PS1.1, what we actually saw with NV3x. But, for me it's not. I'm having that image quality since I owned Radeon 9700Pro and now Radeon 9800XT...Once your eyes get used to, it's actually nothing special

But, I like the way NVIDIA pushes industry. The introduced PS3.0, and it will force ATI to do with next product line. PS3.0 brings a lot....
I wish I see some games with thousands instructions, huge complexity
freak77power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 12:49 AM   #27
hovz

its an improvement over 2.0 too. displacement mapping is a hard to miss visual feature. it looks much better than the standard textures used in the 2.0
Old 05-15-04, 01:06 AM   #28
PoorGuy

Those pics better be splashed on every NV40 box. nVidia needs to market the hell out of those superb pics.
PoorGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 01:08 AM   #29
CaiNaM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freak77power
NV3x cards never run PS2.0...but PS1.1 in Far Cry.
umm.. wrong.
Quote:
R3xx does not support PS3.0 but it runs Far Cry PS2.0 twice as fast as NV3x using PS2.0 as well.
and to think you just said nv3xx never runs ps2 in far cry.. so r3xx runs ps2 twice as fast as the ps2 the nv3x doesn't run? hmmm....
Quote:
But real difference between PS2.0 and PS2.0 in Far Cry is none...The same image quality...
now that's an amazing statement.. let me think about that for a bit... so you're trying to get me to believe ps2 is the same a ps2?
Quote:
The only difference is FP32 vs FP24 but human eyes can't tell difference at this level of shader complexity.
but you just said there is no difference.. so there's no real difference, but the only difference is the one that isn't there?
Quote:
Some people don't see it, but X800XT simply eats NV40 in Far Cry.
1600*1200 FSAA4x AF8x X800XT give playable frame rate for this game, NV40 can't even start it...
jeesus.. so this last statement we should simply take at face value based on the logic of your previous statements?
Old 05-15-04, 01:15 AM   #30
CaiNaM

Quote:
i agree that nv40s implementation of shader 3.0 is too early to use effecitvly without killing performance, but those pics DO look good.
how can you agree with something with no basis in fact? true, what you say may end up to be the truth, or close to it (or it may not), but how the hell can we make those judgements when we haven't seen any implementation of sm3 or how it performs?

i like the fact it's included, as that's what encourages developers to use new features, but i'll withold judgement on how it performs or how we may or may not benefit from it until there's some actual data...
Old 05-15-04, 01:16 AM   #31
hovz

lol canium, u have to admit he is right about the last statement
Old 05-15-04, 01:17 AM   #32
hovz

i said i agree, meaning its my opinion that nv40 will turn out to be slow when running shader model 3.

Old 05-15-04, 01:26 AM   #33
jimmyjames123

Quote:
i said i agree, meaning its my opinion that nv40 will turn out to be slow when running shader model 3.
Based on what, your thoroughly unscientific analysis here?

SM 3.0 is supposed to help improve performance in certain areas vs SM 2.0. Crytek said as much, that their SM 3.0 add-on will be primilarly to improve performance over SM 2.0. Image quality in FarCry between PS 2.0 and PS 3.0 will be very similar.

I suggest waiting for DirectX 9.0c to come out, waiting for the FarCry SM 3.0 add on to come out, and waiting for some non-buggy Forceware drivers before jumping to conclusions about the NV40's performance in FarCry.
jimmyjames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 01:30 AM   #34
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames123
Based on what, your thoroughly unscientific analysis here?

SM 3.0 is supposed to help improve performance in certain areas vs SM 2.0. Crytek said as much, that their SM 3.0 add-on will be primilarly to improve performance over SM 2.0. Image quality in FarCry between PS 2.0 and PS 3.0 will be very similar.

I suggest waiting for DirectX 9.0c to come out, waiting for the FarCry SM 3.0 add on to come out, and waiting for some non-buggy Forceware drivers before jumping to conclusions about the NV40's performance in FarCry.
wow - something that made sense.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 01:37 AM   #35
CaiNaM

Quote:
lol canium, u have to admit he is right about the last statement
heh.. i was on a roll and it was difficult to stop

but getting back to that 'last statement'.. i'm not sure how legitimate it is at this point.. 1600 4xaa/8xaf the pe was about 30% faster than the ultra (49fps vs 39.4 fps)..

keep in mind tho that this is on pre-release hardware and beta drivers, with serious bugs like not being able to run with hyperthreading enabled - with no sm3 support. it may or may not be reflect the situation in a month or so when the cards are actually available.

obvious the r420 is a great card; mine will be here monday

i'm just saying it might be a bit early to write nvidia off just yet, that's all.
Old 05-15-04, 01:39 AM   #36
CaiNaM

Quote:
i know. my point was you agreed to a statement someone else made as fact which has no basis in any data.