Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-04, 09:44 PM   #85
mikechai
Aegophile

Default Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

To Nv40, I'll take #2 in that case.
Old 05-15-04, 09:48 PM   #86
reever2

Quote:
Geforce6800users *will be playing FArcry with much prettier graphics.* and no resolution ,AA/AF or other setting will match that quality in non SM3.0 hardware.
Will is such a strong word to be said about an opinion
reever2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 10:10 PM   #87
hovz

i was under the impresson that the shadows were done with 2.0 code, not 3.0
hovz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 10:30 PM   #88
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzz
I was under the impression that 3.0 was for performance, and that everything that could be done in 3.0 can be done in 2.0, but it will require more passes.

If thats not true, then I must have misunderstood, if i didn't misunderstand then the Iq should be the same no?
nope..
SM3.0 is PS3.0 + VS3.0..
PS2.0 can emulate PS3.0 using more passes with bigger performance cost ,and in some cases inefficient workarounds.
(with the exception of the limitations in PS intructions counts ,which you cant workaround . limits are limits.)

VS2.0 can't emulate VS3.0..
it cant do GEometry Intancing ,True Displacement mapping neither FLow control. to emulate DM in software ,with previous VS2.0 hardware "is possible" but throught workaround (hacks) using the CPU .. that doesnt look as good as the real thing DM.

the things are more interesting when both are working together. that is SM3.0 . so if something is done very quickly under Sm3.0 and its very painfull to do (but possible) under SM.2.0 and cost too much performance what do you think developers will do in the end?

"True" HDR lighting (64bit FPblending/filtering),is possible only in the NV40.. (thanks to another feature that is not part of SM3.0 yet) very easily. in the ATI cards nothing like that exist. so HDR lighting is done with many limitations to the point that now many incoming games will use HDR lighting but only in the NV40 hardware.(SplintelCell3/Unreal3 and others). Developers like valve$$ will not have a choice$$ to do HDR in the limited situations that ATI R3xx/R4xx hardware can do it ,using workarounds and in the hard way.

There is no rocket science here , SM3.0 is simply SM2.0 without its limitations. DEvelopers will always have preferences for the quickest and more efficient ways to implemet prettier graphics in their games.
this is common sense .they will not ignore SM2.0 hardware.. because the biggest base is there.. but the best looking effects will be done in SM3.0 at higher precision. if they want to deal with the limitations in PS2.0 hardware ,is up to them.

so question is not more is there are diferences ,but when you will see them?. and by what i have seen there will be a few good games with some support SM3.0 before the end of year.

Last edited by Nv40; 05-15-04 at 10:45 PM.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 10:36 PM   #89
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Geforce6800users *will be playing FArcry with much prettier graphics.* and no resolution ,AA/AF or other setting will match that quality in non SM3.0 hardware.
Quote:
Originally Posted by reever2
Will is such a strong word to be said about an opinion
well.. hehe

ofcourse what i have said is true only ,if the developers doesnt deal with the extra work and performance cost that it will take under SM2.0 hardware. Ps3.0 can be said to be much more efficients PS2.0 shaders ,with no limitations.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 10:40 PM   #90
muzz

Cool for advancement for sure, that is one of the things I must thank NV for this time.
Hopefully this will catch on unlike ATi and the 1.4 waste of time.

As stated the developers will NOT be able to leave out 2.0( or 1.1 for that matter) as 95% of gamers will be lucky if they even HAVE a card that will do that, nevermind 3.0.
I honestly believe that is the reason why ATi left it out of this design, and the next generation card will have it because developers will want to utilize it more at that time.

Cool for us, hopefully the BASE cards can at least do 2.0 soon so we can all move on a bit quicker, but it seems to be a very slow process, as even now most folks don't even have a card that can do 2.0 .
Old 05-15-04, 10:41 PM   #91
mikechai
Aegophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nv40
nope..
SM3.0 is PS3.0 + VS3.0..
PS2.0 can emulate PS3.0 using more passes with bigger performance cost ,and in some cases inefficient workarounds.
(with the exception of the limitations in PS intructions counts ,which you cant workaround . limits are limits.)

VS2.0 can't emulate VS3.0..
it cant do GEometry Intancing ,True Displacement mapping neither FLow control. to emulate DM in software ,with previous VS2.0 hardware "is possible" but throught workaround (hacks) using the CPU .. that doesnt look as good as the real thing DM.

the things are more interesting when both are working together. that is SM3.0 . so if something is done very quickly under Sm3.0 and its very painfull to do (but possible) under SM.2.0 and cost too much performance what do you think developers will do in the end?

"True" HDR lighting (64bit FPblending/filtering),is possible only in the NV40.. (thanks to another feature that is not part of SM3.0 yet) very easily. in the ATI cards nothing like that exist. so HDR lighting is done with many limitations to the point that now many incoming games will use HDR lighting but only in the NV40 hardware.(SplintelCell3/Unreal3 and others). Developers like valve$$ will not have a choice$$ to do HDR in the limited situations that ATI R3xx/R4xx hardware can do it ,using workarounds and in the hard way.

There is no rocket science here , SM3.0 is simply SM2.0 without its limitations. DEvelopers will always have preferences for the quickest and more efficient ways to implemet prettier graphics in their games.
this is common sense .they will not ignore SM2.0 hardware.. because the biggest base is there.. but the best looking effects will be done in SM3.0 at higher precision. if they want to deal with the limitations in PS2.0 hardware. if up to them.

so question is not more is there are diferences ,but when you will see them?. and by what i have seen there will be a few good games with some support SM3.0 before the end of year.
Nice summary there about SM2.0 vs SM3.0
Old 05-15-04, 10:59 PM   #92
gordon151

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikechai
To Nv40, I'll take #2 in that case.
Too bad that's not the case and the new modifcation will increase IQ across the board :P.

Old 05-15-04, 11:41 PM   #93
fallguy

There is always someone who registers the name of the new GPU, only to be left behind 6 months later... heh.
fallguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 01:08 AM   #94
nrdstrm

sorry it took so long..but I am finally uploading the very small, poorly filmed FC3.0 file...If your interested in EQII, check out the 22 and 9 min vids that I did...they are much longer...Again...it's cool that Jakup is sharing this file with you guys, but it's kinda short...
nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 01:32 AM   #95
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

w00t!! Thanx nrdstrm!!
Old 05-16-04, 01:32 AM   #96
nrdstrm

47% done....it should be up for you guys to download soon...
nrdstrm
nrdstrm is offline   Reply With Quote