Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-04, 02:50 AM   #46
Jarred
OUTCAST

Default Re: I Played FarCry with Pixel Shader 3.0

wow, I'm glad I don't play Farcry.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 02:54 AM   #47
Jarred
OUTCAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjames123
No one can really prove jakup right or wrong, because no one else seems to have first hand experience, and no one seems to have hard data to back it up. That is why I suggested waiting for DirectX 9.0c, waiting for the SM 3.0 add-on to come out, and waiting for some less buggy Forceware drivers before jumping to conclusions regarding FarCry.
You know your right, and people who think that Farcry will be "choppy" and have bad framerates on the Nv40 are seriously mislead, theres just too much at stake here for Nvidia to mess it up, and as much as fanATIc's would love them too, I don't think it's gonna happen.

so, let people speculate, judge, and blame. We'll see.
Jarred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 03:46 AM   #48
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarred
You know your right, and people who think that Farcry will be "choppy" and have bad framerates on the Nv40 are seriously mislead, theres just too much at stake here for Nvidia to mess it up, and as much as fanATIc's would love them too, I don't think it's gonna happen.

so, let people speculate, judge, and blame. We'll see.
wow - something else that made sense!

right now farcry is the thorn in the nv40's side and its gonna get nitpicked till it dies. lets all hope it gets fixed so everyone can be happy.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 04:00 AM   #49
Casper

It depends if it can be fixed... But anyway compare the 6800 ULTRA to the 9800XT and it surely don´t perform bad And I find Far Cry quite playable on my old 9800 PRO (sold btw. So I will be without a functioning video card for like a month at least :P) Didn´t dare to wait to sell it since I have a feeling it will be worth nada in a month. Sold ot for 220$ btw only lost like 40$ or something on it

The decrease in performance can be because nVidia run in full 32-bit mode all the time I guess in the shader model 3 patch? And from what I read of Jakups post they have indead increased the shader use with the shader model 3 patch which seem to mean it´s not to fix the performance as giving some better IQ.

Who knows I think the NV40 always will be a lot slower in Far Cry but it may indead look better especially if no PS 2.x patch is made for Far Cry so then everyone can be happy lol
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 04:01 AM   #50
Superfly
Retired

Amen
Old 05-15-04, 04:36 AM   #51
Nv40
Agent-Fx

a little off topic..

seems that there will be pretty soon a new game
in town to test Dx9 PS2.0 performance.. ->Serious SAm2

http://www.pcekspert.com/articles/211-20.html

the benchmark is beta.. and drivers still might need some tweaking..
specially Nvidia.. but still interesting .
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 04:45 AM   #52
DMA
Zzzleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClosetFanBoy

right now farcry is the thorn in the nv40's side and its gonna get nitpicked till it dies.
Hehe, no kidding.
But fanboys are acting pretty much like bullies. They find the weak spot and then just keep beating it over and over and..

So, what happened with the video jAkUp?
Old 05-15-04, 04:51 AM   #53
Casper

Serious SAM 2 will support 3dc compression so some people may have issue with that benchmark too

But I am sure it will rock just like Serious SAM: the second encounter. Wonderful graphics engine and a good clear your head shoot everything that moves shooter

Will rock sucks though. We don´t need two developers who tries to do the same thing. Serious SAM do it much better. Much funnier enemies, flawless weapons and pace.
Old 05-15-04, 04:53 AM   #54
Casper

Funny that weak spot is in the game that best resembles what we will see in upcoming games . If it where COD noone could have cared less or even HALO.
Old 05-15-04, 05:39 AM   #55
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

im sure the issue will get resolved, now if the issue persists in upcoming games, that would be cause for concern. but if its just the matter of farcry, well, im not going to be shedding any tears over my keyboard thats for sure. while it was somewhat pretty here and there, the game was nothing to write home about.

carry on gentlemen

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 05:43 AM   #56
smeagol

Really interested in SS2 with 3dc support. Hopefully we see some real benchies soon...
smeagol is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-04, 06:03 AM   #57
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

Quote:
af was set at 1.. resolution i believe was 1280x1024. If I had to take a guess at the fps, I would say 25 average.
Jakup already said he was GUESSING, for all you guys know, it coulda been running at 2048, or less, or more. Or the PC's might have been crappy Dells or even worse...Gateway! Or cheap Ram, or cheap chipset...all those factor in lag and slowdown, ya know :P

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 06:46 AM   #58
DMA
Zzzleepy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Funny that weak spot is in the game that best resembles what we will see in upcoming games .
Nah, hardly any PS2.0 at all in FC, just good ol' PS1.1.
But somehow it runs like crap on NVIDIA hardware, don't ask me why though.
Old 05-15-04, 06:52 AM   #59
Casper

the water is 1.1 it still make use of a lot of PS 2.0 effets for lightning and such. Which is where the nVidia performance hurts the most btw. But you would think it would be a non issue for the Nv40:s??

Game developers like to make their games run on as many systems as possible thus they don´t do unnecessarily use of shaders. I have no problem with Far Crys water
Old 05-15-04, 07:38 AM   #60
hovz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamrock
Jakup already said he was GUESSING, for all you guys know, it coulda been running at 2048, or less, or more. Or the PC's might have been crappy Dells or even worse...Gateway! Or cheap Ram, or cheap chipset...all those factor in lag and slowdown, ya know :P
yes im sure nvidia would use crappy computers to represent its flagship card at the biggest gamming event in the world, and i think jakup would notice the difference between 1280 and 2048(or more as u put it, lol).

its amazing how you think nvidias chip will actually BE FASTER running a more advanced shader model that requires even more passes for its new features in the first ever implementation of this new shader model. it just defies all logic. and to you people saying nvidia will not let it happen, what can they do to stop it if their hardware just cant do it. will they resort to cheating again? is that what you all want?
hovz is offline   Reply With Quote