Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-29-02, 02:21 AM   #1
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms
Default Custom Watercooling Sucks Why?

I made a nifty custom watercooling system. I soldered together two copper endcaps for copper water pipe and then attached the whole device to my thunderbird with a bungee cord. I know it sounds like a piece of crap, but it's actually quite an awesome little unit. The intake and output are on top of the three inch unit and the intake has an interior extension that takes the cold water straight to the bottom. The problem is that the temperature hovers right around that of my volcano air cooler (127 F when I tested it). This is an old one rated for like a 1GHz. The waterblock stays 100% cool while the CPU heats up under it. I decided that my problem is that there isn't enough copper above the core to pull the heat away. Could that be the case? The waterblock and core have been lapped flat, though not to a mirror finish and I am using arctic silver 2. I was thinking that maybe there isn't enough pressure? There seems to be enough. Any ideas for a different hold-down? That was my dad's idea and I have doubted it since it's conception. Sorry for the lack of a real picture, if anyone shows some interest I will try to find a digital camera.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	22  
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 11:05 AM   #2
john19055

When I think of useing a water cooler all I can think of is haveing it all working then it spring a leak and fry everthing.I know when it is done right that shoud'nt happen but it would always be in the back of my mind.
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 01:05 PM   #3
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms

In my experience you don't have to worry about the cooler. I managed to stab my motherboard with a flathead screwdriver and cut several of the traces. Before that, my geforce4 got power spiked and my IBM drive failed. All this within a week. So far the watercooler has yet to have a serious problem or cause one.
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-02, 02:22 PM   #4
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

A guy called bladerunner use to come here everynow and again, he was pretty much a genious with water cooling, anyone got a link to his site?
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-02, 10:17 PM   #5
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!

Check this guy out who just popped in from Brazil

http://forum.overclockersonline.com/...&threadid=2586

http://forum.overclockersonline.com/...&threadid=2650

nice
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX570 760/1950 | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 01:03 PM   #6
pelly

You can find BladeRunner ( and his work ) here:

http://www.deviantpc.com/

Example: http://www.deviantpc.com/articles/gf4wcp2/index.shtml
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 03:38 PM   #7
FastM
GeForceFlop

Send a message via ICQ to FastM

This is a good read by BladeRunner about watercooling pretty much every device in your PC

http://www.dwpg.com/content.php?contid=3&artid=57
FastM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-02, 08:42 PM   #8
koslov
Omnipresent Lurker

How thick is the base? Sounds like it might be pretty thin... if so, then the base cannot absorb the heat as fast as the CPU is putting it out.

Try ProCooling to get some expert advice.
koslov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-02, 02:42 PM   #9
fishlung
"Steempy, you nVeediot!"

If it's making uneven contact, and not enough pressure, that's a problem. It sounds like it's wholly possible, considering the unit is just tied on, and not screwed in place like most blocks.

As for my own water cooling system, I'd say that a future unit will have an external radiator, much larger than the one I currently have within the case, as that will likely improve cooling immensely.
fishlung is offline   Reply With Quote