Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-18-04, 02:52 PM   #1
Nebulaeus

Default Asus v9570td (GeForce FX 5700) and Linux

Hello,

I have a quick question. The Asus v9570td GeForce FX 5700 has dual VGA capability. Is this compatible with the TwinView option in the Linux driver. I am looking for a dual head card for Linux that will support OpenGL as well.

The confusion is in the fact that the site states the FX 5700 uses nView and not twinview. Does this mean it will not work in linux using dual head configuration yet?

Thanks.
--Chris
Nebulaeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 02:58 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Asus v9570td (GeForce FX 5700) and Linux

it will work fine using xinerama, but you will need to find the specs for screen1.

if what you're looking for is the actual game spanned across both monitors, go ahead and give up. the only game that can do this is hacked versions of quake and only a couple of others. in other words, it's not worth the effort.

if you want a card for this (game over 2 screens), you will probably be more interested in a matrox video card. even then, like i said, i seriously dont think it's worth it.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-04, 03:01 PM   #3
Nebulaeus

I don't want to game over 2 monitors. I just want my Gnome desktop to span the 2 monitors. I purchased a Matrox p650 already and the drivers support for linux on the newer cards is abysmal. I am actually looking to exchange the p650 for the ASUS. As far as gaming is concerned, the game working on one monitor is fine by me as I do not game all that much. But the p650 doesn't seem to work with 2.6 at all and doesn't seem to have any 2.6 support, except in an old beta driver and Matrox doesn't seem to care about the linux market anymore.
Old 05-18-04, 03:03 PM   #4
Nebulaeus

The nVidia docs speak of TwinView support in the linux driver. Does this particular feature work on the FX 5700?
Old 05-18-04, 03:29 PM   #5
ricercar
fugue master

I can't speak for linux, but I can say TwinView is implemented in hardware the same across NVIDIA GPUs since NV25 (GF4 Ti 4x00 AGP4x). If it works for linux for other FX GPUs, then it should work for the 5700.
Old 05-19-04, 12:46 AM   #6
Nebulaeus

Wow, consider me impressed. Not only does the TwinView work with my Linux box, but OpenGL also renders on both monitors. I tested this with OpenGL screensavers like Atlantis and GLPlanet. Thanks nVidia, this is a great product. I will certainly be boasting to my buddies at work! I just wanted a dual head card that worked well under linux. Heck, I got a card with awesome OpenGL performance as part of the deal. This rocks!

Screenshot included of course

--Chris