Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-16-04, 06:13 PM   #1
Los__D

Question DFP and TV swapped around

Hello, I have a VERY strange problem with my Dell 8600 (GeForce FX Go 5650)

I've gotten my TV output configured, and wanted to do a clone of the primary display... But the driver seems to choose the TV as my primary display, and not the DFP... Which results in pretty strange behavior, among others the most annoying one... It absolutely refuses to do anything above 1024x768 on my DFP with the TV enabled...

I tried to do a RightOf instead, and yes, lo and behold, the DFP was to the right...

Do anyone know why it would choose to have the TV as the primary display, and, even better, how to fix it?

Attached my XF86Config in a working state which makes DFP do 800x600 right of the TV also doing 800x600), and the log.

Oh, my system is Gentoo running 2.6.3-mm4 (I think it's 4).

Thanks a million in advance!

Dennis
Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (38.4 KB, 154 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (5.9 KB, 173 views)
Los__D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 07:21 PM   #2
mojoholder

Default Re: DFP and TV swapped around

try this
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=28684
mojoholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-04, 02:04 PM   #3
Los__D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoholder
Hmmm, sorry, but that wasn't exactly what I was looking for, as I really want the clone funtion of TwinView, but thanks anyway!

Dennis
Los__D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 06:53 AM   #4
joback

Hi

I'm seeing the same problem on my setup. I posted a topic about this a while back (link ). I was hoping that a driver update would fix the problem but no luck.

Edit: Forgot to mention that I did get it to work by using the VGA port instead of the DVI, but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying an expensive LCD...
joback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 09:39 AM   #5
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by joback
Edit: Forgot to mention that I did get it to work by using the VGA port instead of the DVI, but that sort of defeats the purpose of buying an expensive LCD...
It's my understanding that the Linux driver has problems with the DVI ports on the graphics cards that have them. (Yeap, even the current drivers) I beleive that Nvidia is working on a fix. This is why I have not bothered using the DVI port, until the problems with it are fixed.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-04, 08:15 AM   #6
joback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman [TWP]
It's my understanding that the Linux driver has problems with the DVI ports on the graphics cards that have them. (Yeap, even the current drivers) I beleive that Nvidia is working on a fix. This is why I have not bothered using the DVI port, until the problems with it are fixed.

Wolf
Hmm, maybe. I can't watch full screen videos with DVI either, the picture looks like every other line is offset from the previous one by a few pixels (jagged lines I think somebody called it). This is also "fixed" by changing to VGA input. But there have been several driver updates since problems with DVI started to surface and no change yet. There is also no mention of this in the known issues part of the release notes, so I don't know if nVidia has acknowledged that there is a problem with DVI input.

Last edited by joback; 05-20-04 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Speeling
joback is offline   Reply With Quote