Old 05-21-04, 08:41 AM   #1
dschueths
just another dibert

Send a message via Yahoo to dschueths
Default Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Contacted Nvidia.
Their response:
Greetings.
We are aware of the poor interaction between our driver and the 4kstack limitation in Fedora Core 2, and hope to release a new driver soon. I do not have an ETA at this point, though.
I apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for your patience.
Andy XXXXXXX
Be patient. We'll see something in the next couple of days. You people think you have a problem - this affects over 100+ quadro installs for me.

dschueths
dschueths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 09:37 AM   #2
_tf_
scriptfoo warrior

Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

yeah nvidia, bring it on !
Old 05-21-04, 09:47 AM   #3
CrLf
Linux Power!

Well, one wonders why the hell they didn't post a message on this forum saying that exact same thing...

BTW, the "Andy XXXXXX" thing is funny, since everybody on this forum would immediately read that as Andy Mecham.
Old 05-21-04, 10:06 AM   #4
dschueths
just another dibert

Send a message via Yahoo to dschueths

I don't post people's names on the internet.

BTW, it is not Andy M.

dschueths
dschueths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 11:52 AM   #5
SuLinUX

It amazes me how many people know the problem and yet still containue to install what dont work, why dont you get a version of Fedora that works with the current driver instead of ranting on. You Federa people expect nvidia to support a bleeding edge and TEST distro, it's no wounder nvidia are taking there time.

Oh and 2.6.5 works fine with the driver.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 12:32 PM   #6
cabrilo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
It amazes me how many people know the problem and yet still containue to install what dont work, why dont you get a version of Fedora that works with the current driver instead of ranting on. You Federa people expect nvidia to support a bleeding edge and TEST distro, it's no wounder nvidia are taking there time.

Oh and 2.6.5 works fine with the driver.
Who is paying you so much to advocate nvidia? Seriously, we are all paying customers of nvidia, and is it so unreasonable to expect drivers for our favorite distribution? Why must you be so upset with us?

I am very happy with their drivers so far (of course, I would like to see open source, but that's just me), and I am a bit disappointed because nvidia didn't release a fix for this issue, even though it was very predictable (we all knew exactly when Fedora Core 2 is coming out, and we all knew about the kernel issue). Fedora is de facto one of the most important distributions out there, because it sets standards, other distros are based on it, etc. That fact should be respected.

Sorry about the rant, but this is just my 2 cents and a plea to nvidia to get us some new drivers. I don't want to get a flame started
cabrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 12:53 PM   #7
LaNcom

Yeah, and new AMD64 drivers will be released in the 'next few months'... :-(

http://amdzone.com/modules.php?op=mo...rder=0&thold=0

-- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989.
LaNcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 12:57 PM   #8
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrilo
Who is paying you so much to advocate nvidia? Seriously, we are all paying customers of nvidia, and is it so unreasonable to expect drivers for our favorite distribution? Why must you be so upset with us?

I am very happy with their drivers so far (of course, I would like to see open source, but that's just me), and I am a bit disappointed because nvidia didn't release a fix for this issue, even though it was very predictable (we all knew exactly when Fedora Core 2 is coming out, and we all knew about the kernel issue). Fedora is de facto one of the most important distributions out there, because it sets standards, other distros are based on it, etc. That fact should be respected.

Sorry about the rant, but this is just my 2 cents and a plea to nvidia to get us some new drivers. I don't want to get a flame started

I dont know where you get your info from about fedora setting standards but it's BS, the issue only affect people how want 4kstacks, which is not that many at all. Why moan just because you cannot have 3d for a while, some of you people are like children. And since when have nvidia OFFICIALLY support Linux?, it dont say this in any Linux disro or on the graphic card box, manual itself.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-04, 01:31 PM   #9
bradyh

I appreciate all the good work that has gone into the NVidia drivers and I hope that new ones for Fedora Core2 come out soon...because my daughter is going to be mightily pissed off if she doesn't get her Quake III fix. And today's Friday which is my usual Day of Defeat day.

I'm not sure whether to try the potential fixes people have posted in the various forums here. Recompiling a kernel seems like kinda a lot of trouble to go through for something that might or might not work. And even if it does work somebody said that it still didn't make games playable...

Anybody have any advice on this?

Brady
bradyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 01:59 PM   #10
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
You Federa people expect nvidia to support a bleeding edge and TEST distro, it's no wounder nvidia are taking there time.
You have a valid point... sure, but I hardly think it is necessary to continue it over every thread that discusses the distro. FC2 is no longer TEST, it is release (bleeding edge.. it still is). Not all Fedora users are impatient either.

nVIDIA is expected to make modifications that are common across the linux world... the modifications that are in question are definitely common since they are introduced in, and slated for permanent change in, the mainline distro. The simple fact that the mainline config leaves it defaulted to off at present only means things are not completely broken yet.. it does not make this a Fedora specific problem. (do not confuse my expectation with a perceived 'right'... nVIDIA owes me no support since they promised me no support when purchasing the card -- nevertheless due to their record of excellent support for linux I expect them to continue)

People confuse 2.6.5 as being incompatible due to the naming convention of the Fedora kernel which maintains the prior major number when patched. The kernel used in FC2 is a slightly modified version of 2.6.6-rc3-bk3, but the release package version is 2.6.5-1.358.

I am grateful for some news regarding the progress of the driver, thank you for posting the email exerpt. I was never in doubt that nVIDIA would deal with this issue in a reasonable timeframe.

For those interested.. the kernel-2.6.5-1.344.src.rpm can be rebuilt with minor specfile change and config change to work with the nVIDIA drivers. This may be of interest to anyone needing to deploy many machines PM me for availability of the SRPM if you need it...
(the FC2 release kernel fails to work with minor changes, mainline kernel.org should be used for individual machine fixes)

Last edited by LordMorgul; 05-21-04 at 02:12 PM.
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-04, 10:06 PM   #11
hemorroid

Quote:
You Federa people expect nvidia to support a bleeding edge and TEST distro, it's no wounder nvidia are taking there time.
And what would you be saying if it was Suse that decided to go with the 4k stacks?
They are far bigger supporters of linux than ATI will ever be and I for 1 will stick it out and wait till they come out with a "fixed" driver.
Oh and BTW 80% of all distro's out there are based on Redhat and that includes SuSe. So, just stop the name-calling, and be thankfull for projects like Fedora that are paving the way for the future of "LINUX"

#1 Homebuilt Tower of Death
AMD XP2600+{Barton}
1Gig PC2700 ECC
80GB 7200rpm Maxtor
Nvidia FX5200 128M
#2 Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop
AMD XP2500+M {Barton}
512 PC2700
60GB HD
ATI Radeon9200Mobile 128M
hemorroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-04, 12:08 AM   #12
egarland

Quote:
RedHat may want to position Fedora as a test distro because they want companies to pay for RedHat enterprise but I don't see it evolving that way. I see it becoming the platform of choice for RedHat desktops and light-medium dubty servers.

Fedora Core 1 was a little messy so a lot of people stayed away from it for a while but most of the RedHat users I know are starting to itch for an upgrade and have been anticipating Core 2 coming out. I installed test 2 and 3 on one of my extra machines to check it out and I now have the released Core 2 on it.

I'm very happy with Fedora Core 2. It's the best Linux distro I've seen so far (I generally prefer the RedHat line though). I do have a GeForce 2 GTS in this machine and I was hopping to get the drivers on it but no luck so far. It is dissapointing but as long as they are working on a new version I'm happy. It would be nice to be able to put my name on a mailing list so they could let me know when it was out. Anyone know if there is such a thing?

Also, it would be nice if they open sourced the driver. Binary kernel modules give me the creeps.
egarland is offline   Reply With Quote