Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-04, 04:44 PM   #109
gianthead

Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Anyone heard any rumors or latest word on an ETA for the updated drivers that will work on FC2?
gianthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 06:02 PM   #110
dschueths
just another dibert

Send a message via Yahoo to dschueths

I have not heard back on a possible ETA.
Just a point to make - over 12,000 views have been made on this thread.
That is a lot of people using the 2.5 kernel AND having a nvidia card...
dschueths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 06:30 PM   #111
gianthead

Unhappy Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Living without twinview for two weeks has about killed me.
gianthead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 03:41 AM   #112
gilboa
Linux addict...

gianthead,

You can always re-compile the kernel with the 8K and -regparam options, and use the current nVidia drivers...

Cheers,
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 07:04 AM   #113
Boba Fett
Registered Bounty Hunter

Before I get flamed, it's just my 2cents about this whole discussion...

Compaired to other Linux users around, I'm fairly new to it.
I used to work with Windows at home and was able to make it work exactly like I would (no secrets).

Since I switched to Linux (first RH9, followed by FC1 and now FC2) every day I learn many new things. The Nvidia driver (1.0-5336) doesn't work out-of-the-box with my Geforce2 card. With the 8k-stacks patch it does work. So without having the knowledge (yet) how to compile a kernel or otherwise fool around, I can still use Linux and get on learning (I learned how to install the update and remove the "old" kernel) and have the idea that Linux does have a future (oposite to Windows)....

What I'm trying to say here, probably in a silly way, is that when you move to a new system, there's always some sort of glitch (the same in my old Windows' days).

But what I do find pittyful, is that Linux users behave in such a shamefull way towards each other. I used to think we all "are one big family", against Bill Gate$. Of course we all have our own opinion and believes, but respect should be one of them!

Like I said... just my thoughts
Boba Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 07:15 AM   #114
gilboa
Linux addict...

People are poeple... no matter what OS they use....
Old 06-03-04, 08:00 AM   #115
Baaad Wabbit!

Right you are, gilboa. Actually, I've been using Linux on and off since mid '98 and have never taken to the big-linux-family-versus-"$Bill Gates" mindset. It's not a prerequisite to being a linux user and never was. After all, there are Linux users who are obnoxious pricks, especially towards Windows users. We've all come across them. But it's a trait which is, for the most part, OS independent.

Wabbit.
Baaad Wabbit! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 08:53 AM   #116
tru_playaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Before I get flamed, it's just my 2cents about this whole discussion...

Compaired to other Linux users around, I'm fairly new to it.
I used to work with Windows at home and was able to make it work exactly like I would (no secrets).

Since I switched to Linux (first RH9, followed by FC1 and now FC2) every day I learn many new things. The Nvidia driver (1.0-5336) doesn't work out-of-the-box with my Geforce2 card. With the 8k-stacks patch it does work. So without having the knowledge (yet) how to compile a kernel or otherwise fool around, I can still use Linux and get on learning (I learned how to install the update and remove the "old" kernel) and have the idea that Linux does have a future (oposite to Windows)....

What I'm trying to say here, probably in a silly way, is that when you move to a new system, there's always some sort of glitch (the same in my old Windows' days).

But what I do find pittyful, is that Linux users behave in such a shamefull way towards each other. I used to think we all "are one big family", against Bill Gate$. Of course we all have our own opinion and believes, but respect should be one of them!

I had never compiled a kernel myself when FC2 came out. When I installed FC2 and discovered the Nvidia loading problem, I went to #fedora on irc.freenode.net for help.

A couple of very helpful people on that IRC channel told me about the 4k/8k stacks problem and then talked me into compiling my own kernel from 2.6.6 'vanilla' source.

I was dreading having to configure and compile it but the fellow talked me through it and I discovered that you can configure the kernel using a nice menu-driven interface that can give you information prompts (menuconfig). And the actuall compile didn't take nearly as long as I thought it would

That was only a couple of weeks ago and now I've got the bug; I'm addicted to recompiling my kernel and optimising features/ ditching non-relevant features to boost my system's performance

Old 06-03-04, 09:11 AM   #117
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boba Fett

Well the simple fact is on one side you have Fedora users who put the blame squarely at nvidia's door, on the other side you have the people who say,

1. Fedora dev's should'nt have put the option in there kernel YET

2. Recompile the kernel

3. Reverse the patch

4. Wait

4kstacks makes life easier for the kernel dev's more than anything, so why people troll nvidia like theres is no tomorrow is plain childish.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-04, 09:28 AM   #118
gilboa
Linux addict...

SuLinUX,

4stacks and regparam are here to stay.
It's just a matter of (short) time before both become the default.
nVidia should do its best to release a compliant driver.

Accusing Fedora for jumping the gun is as ridicules as blaming nVidia for not supporting these options two months ago... (when they made it into the 2.6.x tree.)

Cheers,
Gilboa
Old 06-03-04, 10:13 AM   #119
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Well the simple fact is on one side you have Fedora users who put the blame squarely at nvidia's door, on the other side you have the people who say,

1. Fedora dev's should'nt have put the option in there kernel YET

2. Recompile the kernel

3. Reverse the patch

4. Wait

4kstacks makes life easier for the kernel dev's more than anything, so why people troll nvidia like theres is no tomorrow is plain childish.
So you say that the Fedora people (and the kernel people) should wait for nvidia. Well, nvidia wouldn't give a fsck about this problem until they got bitten by it. They are now being bitten by it and why? Because Fedora has made the problematic option the default. As I said before, someone has to push the envelope or else things never change, and it's clear that this wouldn't be done by some company following their own proprietary interest (not bashing, just true), but by a community which has its primary focus on technical decisions.

If the nvidia drivers were opensource, someone would rush to fix this (maybe some people from Red Hat) but they aren't, so nvidia has to do it by itself (once again, not bashing, just true).

Just one other thing, this thread really has many views but although it does not represent the real number of nvidia-card-on-linux users (a great deal of the hits are just the same people following the thread) I think that a great majority of linux users buy nvidia cards because they are reasonably well supported (up until now) and offer the same level of performance and almost the same features as in Windows. This is a very large number of nvidia-buying people and should not be dismissed as irrelevant as they are normally very vocal and will not hesitate to recommend or pollute the nvidia brand to their (windows) friends and accquaintances. So, I really hope that nvidia gets is act together and releases new (working) drivers before this loyal fan-base starts thinkink that their support for linux is over.
Old 06-03-04, 10:23 AM   #120
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
SuLinUX,

4stacks and regparam are here to stay.
It's just a matter of (short) time before both become the default.
nVidia should do its best to release a compliant driver.

Accusing Fedora for jumping the gun is as ridicules as blaming nVidia for not supporting these options two months ago... (when they made it into the 2.6.x tree.)

Cheers,
Gilboa
The nvidia driver works perfect in SuSE 9.1/ kernel 2.6.4 and the updated one in my sig below. FEDORA kernel dev's have the power to enable or disable this option knowing that it will break any nvidia/ATI driver, and like I said it makes the kernel devs life easier not the desktop user. Since 2.6 is mainly aimed at server and it not yet desktop aimed(linus even said this) SuSE on the other hand backport features for the desktop like subfs, so it's down to the distro kernel devs.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote