Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-04, 10:07 AM   #37
cabrilo

Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockway
Fedora is broken. There are lots of things wrong with it, but it seems to have a cult-like following. And lots of very annoying people complaining about how broken it is (but how they can't leave it... sounds like a bad romance movie).

Try debian testing (or unstable) for a week and I don't think you'll consider Fedora to be worth your time.
I don't like to change distros all that often, so I will stay with Fedora for now. The first release was kind of incomplete, but FC2 is really nice, fast, clean, etc. I think I'll stick to it for some time.
cabrilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 10:22 AM   #38
ppieti

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrockway
Fedora is broken. There are lots of things wrong with it, but it seems to have a cult-like following. And lots of very annoying people complaining about how broken it is (but how they can't leave it... sounds like a bad romance movie).
It should probably be noted that the 4k stack problem is a BUG in the nvidia driver. It's just that it's unlikely (but still possible with eg. high network traffic) to trigger with 8k stacks (and 100% certain with 4K, which is why it hasn't been noticed until now).

Doing large allocations on the stack in the kernel (current nvidia driver uses almost 6k) is bad, the stack really is a finite resource there...
ppieti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 03:53 PM   #39
Corona688

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Corona, I dunno what kind of pipe you are smoking there, and especially how strong of a narcotic you have in it, but whatever is strong enough to make a person believe that ATI's drivers in Linux make a low end ati card better than anything nVidia's released in the last....4 years, must be strong enough to convince a crowd of neo-nazi's to start drinking with rednecks.
Nothing so earth-shattering, no, simply the realization that the DRI Radeon drivers work perfectly well under my SMP AMD64 system, and nvidia's drivers, well, barely work at all.

Granted, the GeforceFX5200's benchmarks were better, but I can't run my system on benchmarks. Not when it's freezing daily, consuming 100% CPU on both CPUs, jittering like a squirrel on amphetamines, redrawing windows slower than uphill molasses in Russian winter, and lagging so badly I can't close a window.
Corona688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 04:57 PM   #40
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Fedora core 2 is how old? 7days...
I dont think it is reasonable to ask for a fix in such a short space of time.
Like somebody said, If you insist on using FC2, compile your own kernel.
Its not that hard, besides learning new things is fun...
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 06:06 PM   #41
SuLinUX

The 2.6.5 works fine it's only the 2.6.6 which has 4kstacks and you can disable it in the xconfig anyway. Is it nvidia's fault that fedora devlopers desided to enable 4kstacks knowing that the nvidia driver would'nt work, all just for abit more speed supposedly.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 06:19 PM   #42
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
The 2.6.5 works fine it's only the 2.6.6 which has 4kstacks and you can disable it in the xconfig anyway. Is it nvidia's fault that fedora devlopers desided to enable 4kstacks knowing that the nvidia driver would'nt work, all just for abit more speed supposedly.
You do know that the move for 4k stacks is being driven by the kernel developers themselves don't you? Fedora is just the first to make the step.
Old 05-24-04, 07:46 PM   #43
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrLf
You do know that the move for 4k stacks is being driven by the kernel developers themselves don't you? Fedora is just the first to make the step.
Yes I do, but the fact that they enabled it in this release is debatable indeed, they should have waited a few weeks to see what nvidia were going to do. Fedora devs being eaga to jump onto the 2.6.6 is questionable.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 09:39 PM   #44
xyphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Yes I do, but the fact that they enabled it in this release is debatable indeed, they should have waited a few weeks to see what nvidia were going to do. Fedora devs being eaga to jump onto the 2.6.6 is questionable.
I'll bite.

*disclaimer*: I can patiently wait for 4k stack support from NV.

However, to say FC/RH should have delayed their release by a "few weeks" because NV didn't have a driver available is silly! FC is the testbed for RH Enterprise, which I have many workstation and server licenses for (at work). I'm happy FC is pushing the 4k stack issue since my developers mostly program in java...something the 4k stack will improve performance with. I'm planning on upgrading all of our development workstations in the next year or two (when RHEL4) is released. The video card choice of these machines will be dependent on Linux support in FC. I imagine my shop isn't the only out there that will be looking at FC when making bulk hardware purchases.

Money talks...

/X
xyphor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-04, 09:41 PM   #45
dpw2atox

the thing is though thats what fedora is......its the latest stable bleeding edge stuff and it even says this on their website. I personally think its smart of redhat to do.......release fedora like this, get nvidia working on drivers for 4k stacks, then by the time rhel is running on the 2.6 kernel the nvidia drivers will definantly work fine cause nvidia will have made a few releases by then.

edit: see thread above also.....heh he kinda beat me to it.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 02:41 AM   #46
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Hardware-accelerated 3D by any other name is still hardware-accelerated 3D.
This appears logical simply because it is too shallow a statement to be meaningful. Hardware accelerated is a broad term that describes simply the video card's gpu processing some part.. or all of, the necessary rendering math. Being hardware accelerated does not indicate the hardware is doing all it could -- in other words reaching its optimum potential. My use of the word game 'draw' vs 'render' was for emphasis on the fact that optimum speed is not being obtained... if you feel otherwise some benchmark results are welcome.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
Open Source drivers are nice.. and not much more. The reality of the hardware support situation for Linux is that binary, closed source drivers are the only adequate way to achieve the performance capabilities of the gpus. Running the card with a slow and stable driver that happens to draw 3D to screen is not the desired result for many people -- for you that may be fine, but to argue that it is good enough for everyone is simply ludicrous.
This reeks of a very common misconception often seen among software users; that there is some real difference between "fake software" that is written by humans for other humans, and "real software" that people get in binary-only form from corporations. I'm sorry, but you're wrong. 100% flat-out wrong. There is absolutely nothing to prevent open-source from optimizing their code any more than there's anything preventing closed-source programmers from optimizing their code.
You have completely misinterpreted my statement. Let me re-phrase. The currently available open source drivers for ATI or nVIDIA hardware perform poorly... across the board for all hardware -- the binary driver supplied by the manufacturer is faster in every case I'm aware of (stability and distribution compatibility aside). This is not because open source developers are incapable of optimizing the software (or because it comes compiled).. whether intentional or not to suggest I meant that is insulting.. please try to stop reading your agenda into my statements.

The programmers working for the corporations who developed the gpu have information availability that open source developers do not have, namely: gpu architecture and internal programmer's model, assigned and unlisted register information, and other hardware nitty-gritty details. Even if these things are offered to open source devs the playing field is not leveled until the hardware design engineers are made available for question and answer time -- not going to happen. I have not slighted or insulted open source developers or their abilities as you apparently believed -- this is my current situation accessment and not a reason for the situation. To clarify further I believe that open source drivers would be superior in performance and stability (in a very short development timeframe) if the proprietary drivers were released.. and the internal developers managed the open source project to provide technical oversight given their information advantage -- true for both nVIDIA and ATI. This will not happen in the near future for reasons discussed at length here and on the Rage3D forums.

Quote:
The fact of the matter is, nvidia's closed-source drivers will not work on my platform. ATI's open-source drivers do work and get great performance on my platform.
I did not address this issue whatsoever, and won't. There are many hardware configurations that will not work for specific hardware configurations -- for both driver sets (open and closed source) -- individual cases are more or less irrelevant to your initial claims.
Old 05-25-04, 08:11 AM   #47
kevpatts

Could I squeeze in one question and let you guys get back to it?

Okay: I'm running Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5-1.358), the x86_64 version. Can I install the 32-bit version 5336 driver into the kernel or will all hell break loose? I can't install the most recent version of the x86_64 drivers (version 5332) cause they don't support my kernel version.

Any help?
kevpatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 11:33 AM   #48
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

No you can not use the 32 bit driver with amd_64 linux. I suggest you recompile your kernel, and use the 64bit driver.
The other option is to install a 32bit linux and then you can use the 32bit driver.
Obviously if you install FC2 you are gonna have the same problem in 32bit that you are having in 64bit...
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote