Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-27-04, 09:20 AM   #61
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyphor
I'll bite.

*disclaimer*: I can patiently wait for 4k stack support from NV.

However, to say FC/RH should have delayed their release by a "few weeks" because NV didn't have a driver available is silly! FC is the testbed for RH Enterprise, which I have many workstation and server licenses for (at work). I'm happy FC is pushing the 4k stack issue since my developers mostly program in java...something the 4k stack will improve performance with. I'm planning on upgrading all of our development workstations in the next year or two (when RHEL4) is released. The video card choice of these machines will be dependent on Linux support in FC. I imagine my shop isn't the only out there that will be looking at FC when making bulk hardware purchases.

Money talks...

/X

Seriously though, just for a minor speed gain people are willing to whine at nvidia for not supporting it, SuSE uses are fine because it just works. Developing a driver for people who compile a new kernel every version is not the way to go, after all seems people spend more time doing that that playing games or using there 3d.
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 10:52 AM   #62
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer
 
Kamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,035
Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbanzai
I have run Fedora 1 and 2, RedHat since 5.2, Debian unstable, and currently have a Slack box as well as an FC2 box. I know how to compile my own kernel, and the NVidia issue is taken care of temporarily for me. What I do object to, however, is elitism. I know the intricacies of a Linux system, but I see no place for someone to say that just because someone doesn't know how to recompile a kernel, they are a moron and don't deserve to run Linux.

I see NVidia's reasoning for not open-sourcing their drivers, and I understand it takes time to support a new feature (which, by the way, will be in almost all standard distros that are based on post-2.6.6 kernels). Fedora users just happen to be on the forefront because Fedora is quite bleeding-edge, and therefore they're among the first to complain about the current drivers not working.

But Linux will never establish more prevalence on the desktop if less-experienced users are met with "Go back to Windows you moron"-type comments.

As far as my response to the whole topic, I say if you don't want to (or don't know how) to recompile your kernel, then use the standard nv driver -- it's fairly mature as far as 2D support, and NVidia will have an official driver soon enough. Besides, the standard kernel is better for performance with most other applications, so it is sort of silly to remove performance-enhancing features in an attempt to get an older driver to work. If you do happen to know how to solve the problem by recompiling, do that -- you are willing to devote the time to it, go ahead, it's not complicated for you. There's no need to get whipped into a frenzy about something so simple. You can talk about Fedora users as much as you want; they could just as easily say "you are driving me nuts with your overabundance of Linux elitism and zealotry".
it's all a matter of tit for tat. i am respectful to people's knowledge of linux, and i understand that not everyone is going to know how to recompile their kernel. this doesn't mean that they can't learn though, it's a very simple process.

here's a more precise quote

Quote:
Who is paying you so much to advocate nvidia? Seriously, we are all paying customers of nvidia, and is it so unreasonable to expect drivers for our favorite distribution?
in this statement he's saying that it's nvidia's fault that they dont support experimental additions to a kernel. it's fedora's fault, not nvidia. nvidia will get the driver released, of course, but that doesn't mean that you should bitch about it because they didn't "magically support it all along". furthermore, it was fedora's developers' decision to add 4k stacks; knowing that nvidia drivers didn't support it.

it's a matter of pointing fingers here, the guy clearly stated that's it's all nvidia's fault and they hate nvidia blah blah whatever. fedora isn't perfect, matter of fact, less perfect than nvidia; and THAT is the point i was trying to make.

just think of how disappointing it would be if he had to get ATI's drivers working for a non-suse/fedora distro... guess what, they don't make them!

point is, if you want to fix your problem, fix it. it's very simple. i have 10x larger problems with my ATI card on gentoo 2.6.5 kernel (neither the distro nor the kernel version are supported, but many people are able to get it working). if the only thing i would have to do is recompile my kernel, i would be singing my praises to the gods of linux.
__________________
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 11:32 AM   #63
bahamot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 161
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
in this statement he's saying that it's nvidia's fault that they dont support experimental additions to a kernel. it's fedora's fault, not nvidia. nvidia will get the driver released, of course, but that doesn't mean that you should bitch about it because they didn't "magically support it all along". furthermore, it was fedora's developers' decision to add 4k stacks; knowing that nvidia drivers didn't support it.
you are wrong, 4k stack thing is not fedora developers problem.
4k was made its way into 2.6.6 kernel i.e. it's officially as a part of Linux kernel.
So basically it's a matter of time Nvidia has to support 4k stack as well!
If Nvidia wouldn't released driver with 4k support then we shouldn't use kernel >= 2.6.6???
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 12:37 PM   #64
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer
 
Kamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,035
Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamot
you are wrong, 4k stack thing is not fedora developers problem.
4k was made its way into 2.6.6 kernel i.e. it's officially as a part of Linux kernel.
So basically it's a matter of time Nvidia has to support 4k stack as well!
If Nvidia wouldn't released driver with 4k support then we shouldn't use kernel >= 2.6.6???
no, it's an option in the kernel that you can decide wether or not you would like to build in (i haven't tried this, but iirc the alternative is 8K stacks? or 8K stacks work?). either way, it was a choice of the guys who compiled and hacked the kernel for fedora. i really can't think of anything that "forces" you to use an option in the kernel, they are all settings that the user (or dev in this case) can choose.
__________________
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 01:07 PM   #65
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamot
you are wrong, 4k stack thing is not fedora developers problem.
4k was made its way into 2.6.6 kernel i.e. it's officially as a part of Linux kernel.
So basically it's a matter of time Nvidia has to support 4k stack as well!
If Nvidia wouldn't released driver with 4k support then we shouldn't use kernel >= 2.6.6???
The simple fact is fedora could have released there 2.6.6 kernel with 4kstacks off and then released a kernel rpm later with it enabled. Dont blame nvidia for a feature that is down to the user to enable or disable, besides waiting 3 or 4 weeks is not going to hurt.
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 01:38 PM   #66
energyman76b
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Clausthal/Germany
Posts: 1,104
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamot
you are wrong, 4k stack thing is not fedora developers problem.
4k was made its way into 2.6.6 kernel i.e. it's officially as a part of Linux kernel.
So basically it's a matter of time Nvidia has to support 4k stack as well!
If Nvidia wouldn't released driver with 4k support then we shouldn't use kernel >= 2.6.6???
you are wrong.

4k stacks is in 2.6.6 but it is OFF by default.
Why? Because it can break things, and it broke allready ati drivers...

It was FC's decision to make a highly EXPERIMENTAL option standard. So stop bitching around. Nvidia is not responsible for FC's developers.
And yes, new drivers, with 4k stack, mregparm=3 and SiS746 support would be great, but insulting Nvidia and the poor few who are working on the linux drivers,do not speed anything up.
Quite the opposite is true. It sucks to support people who are only bitching and whining around.

But please, switch to another graphic-card type. ATI-people are suffering, Matrox have some old, nice, but butt slow drivers with questionable 3d, 3dlabs? Xabre? SiS?

As an Nvidia+linux user you have the best graphic-cards drivers, so I think it is time to be a little bit nice to them.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 02:57 PM   #67
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer
 
Kamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,035
Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
you are wrong.

4k stacks is in 2.6.6 but it is OFF by default.
Why? Because it can break things, and it broke allready ati drivers...

It was FC's decision to make a highly EXPERIMENTAL option standard. So stop bitching around. Nvidia is not responsible for FC's developers.
And yes, new drivers, with 4k stack, mregparm=3 and SiS746 support would be great, but insulting Nvidia and the poor few who are working on the linux drivers,do not speed anything up.
Quite the opposite is true. It sucks to support people who are only bitching and whining around.

But please, switch to another graphic-card type. ATI-people are suffering, Matrox have some old, nice, but butt slow drivers with questionable 3d, 3dlabs? Xabre? SiS?

As an Nvidia+linux user you have the best graphic-cards drivers, so I think it is time to be a little bit nice to them.
eh, i agree just wanted to point one thing out:

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.ati.com/products/catalyst/linux.html
Q6: What Linux kernel version is needed for this driver?
A6: Version 2.4 of the Linux kernel is required for this driver. This kernel version is installed as standard in many current Linux distributions. Support for the newer version 2.6 kernel is under development and should be available in a future release.
the reason ati doesn't work under 2.6 kernel is it isn't supported yet; however you can "rig" your box to work with ati drivers. i personally have been unsuccessful in doing so, however.
__________________
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 03:27 PM   #68
pzgren
Registered User
 
pzgren's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 107
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
It amazes me how many people know the problem and yet still containue to install what dont work, why dont you get a version of Fedora that works with the current driver instead of ranting on. You Federa people expect nvidia to support a bleeding edge and TEST distro, it's no wounder nvidia are taking there time.
Oh and 2.6.5 works fine with the driver.
Oh and all other 2.6 here up2 2.6.7.rc* kernel. Also the Fedora kernel 2.6.5-1.358, which is in real an 2.6.6-rc3 FYI.

You have understand it really wrong and have no knowledge from SuSE or what the name stand for? Seems so...
Fedora is not a test distribution, it is for RH to develope their RHEL. And that is like SuSE it is doing, only without a community. Understand?


And we can nice talking about the last 10 years SuSE and what they have done for big mistakes or bad kernels with braindead patches or maybe the wrong and own paths for the docs and software in past, so that they arent compatible? So, you see SuSE is not better , I like SuSE and their work, but please let The Fedora user wo they are...

Marcus
__________________
Fedora Core 6
Notebook: DELL Inspiron 9400 - Core Duo T2400 - 17" WUXGA 7800 Go 256MB - 2 GB DDR2 667 MHz -
PC: AMD64 3200 - 1 GB Infi. PC400 - MSI K8N Neo Platinum NForce3 250GB - 80GB SATA Samsung - SB Live! 5.1 - GF 6600GT AGP
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-04, 04:04 PM   #69
SuLinUX
 
SuLinUX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 847
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
Oh and all other 2.6 here up2 2.6.7.rc* kernel. Also the Fedora kernel 2.6.5-1.358, which is in real an 2.6.6-rc3 FYI.

You have understand it really wrong and have no knowledge from SuSE or what the name stand for? Seems so...
Fedora is not a test distribution, it is for RH to develope their RHEL. And that is like SuSE it is doing, only without a community. Understand?


And we can nice talking about the last 10 years SuSE and what they have done for big mistakes or bad kernels with braindead patches or maybe the wrong and own paths for the docs and software in past, so that they arent compatible? So, you see SuSE is not better , I like SuSE and their work, but please let The Fedora user wo they are...

Marcus

Heh, community, SuSE backports there kernel with features no other distro has, it was the first to have agp x8/agpgart not broken. Fedora is redhat and there is nothing special about it what so ever, other than the fact that there users seem to be on a crusade thinking it's special.

Leave the FUD out because it's quite clear many fedora users are good at it, see this forum blaming and calling nvidia.
__________________
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 06:12 PM   #70
Doner
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

*AHEM*

Learn to roll your own.
Doner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 08:11 PM   #71
bahamot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 161
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

AFAIK, the Linux kernel got a patch to make 4k permanent i.e. 8k stack gone ... (not sure if it's >= 2.6.6).

anyway, I'm not complaining or something but you can't blame Fedora because they enabled 4k stack. However, I agree they should at least made an option for 4k or 8k, as a kernel parameter perhaps.
bahamot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 10:26 PM   #72
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer
 
Kamel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,035
Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahamot
you can't blame Fedora because they enabled 4k stack
why not? apparently it's ok to blame nvidia about it. i guess fedora is just uhmmm... so superior to humans that we can't conceive of the leetness and astounding choices that the devs make. dare you cast a bad word at fedora, the developers are all gods, and they shall smite you with the holy stick of nvidia should you e'er cross words with them.

i get it now; totally understand.
__________________
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
nvidia driver quality decrease? legluondunet NVIDIA Linux 17 06-26-12 10:03 AM
Nvidia driver stopped working after X restart and Kernel taint msgs during boot mikejuni NVIDIA Linux 10 05-21-12 08:30 PM
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 08:35 PM
Getting the proprietary nvidia driver to run with Debian 3.0 r0 (woody) Katchina404 NVIDIA Linux 9 01-12-03 08:49 AM
nvidia + 2.4.19 gentoo = messed up ulukay NVIDIA Linux 18 11-01-02 11:58 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.