Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-04, 11:38 PM   #73
hemorroid

Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
IMO it's not unreasonable at all, because if you are too damn incompetant to be able to recompile your kernel and get the ****ing thing to work, then you don't deserve to run linux.

fedora people are driving me nuts *omg nvidia sux because we're retarded and dont know how to compile a kernel* go back to windows, it will serve you better.
Comments like these are just not needed here, or anywhere else for that matter.
Kamel, I would gather from your statments that you (unlike the rest of us) were born with the ability to "Do It All". It is really too bad you never had to struggle through compileing you own kernel as the rest of us did the first few times, maybe then you would be more sensitive to the "newcomers"
Maybe you should use your vast knowledge of linux to write a tutorial for the noobs among us to follow.

SuLinux:::
You have a real chip on your shoulder too and should beware.
What will you do when Novell ( who is out to make $$.$$ )decides to start charging for SuSe????? Switch to Fedora LOL
#1 Homebuilt Tower of Death
AMD XP2600+{Barton}
1Gig PC2700 ECC
80GB 7200rpm Maxtor
Nvidia FX5200 128M
#2 Acer Ferrari 3000 Laptop
AMD XP2500+M {Barton}
512 PC2700
60GB HD
ATI Radeon9200Mobile 128M
hemorroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 11:56 PM   #74
pzgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Heh, community, SuSE backports there kernel with features no other distro has, it was the first to have agp x8/agpgart not broken. Fedora is redhat and there is nothing special about it what so ever, other than the fact that there users seem to be on a crusade thinking it's special.
You are using many many many things and drivers from:

cd /usr/src/linux; fgrep 'redhat' -R *
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 12:07 AM   #75
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemorroid
Comments like these are just not needed here, or anywhere else for that matter.
Kamel, I would gather from your statments that you (unlike the rest of us) were born with the ability to "Do It All". It is really too bad you never had to struggle through compileing you own kernel as the rest of us did the first few times, maybe then you would be more sensitive to the "newcomers"
Maybe you should use your vast knowledge of linux to write a tutorial for the noobs among us to follow.

What will you do when Novell ( who is out to make $$.$$ )decides to start charging for SuSe????? Switch to Fedora LOL
read all of the replies before replying yourself please. (like #62)
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 02:05 AM   #76
CyberSlug
Fedora Core 2

Send a message via MSN to CyberSlug
Lightbulb Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

I have an idea, which some of you may agree on.

Would not it be good if nVidia managed a page which tells of the latest news with drivers, and shows a meter as to what percentage of the driver has been completed.

I believe that this would stop users like myself pestering on forums about the due dates, and how the development is going, etc...

What do you think, everyone?
CyberSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 02:52 AM   #77
hppnq

@ CyberSlug: I think there is a link somewhere in this thread, that will lead you to a page where you can sign up for mail notification. And of course there is Nvidia's Linux drivers page. I don't think that your progress meter is likely to happen. ;-)

I for one wouldn't mind, by the way, if people would take their political agendas to some other forum, there are plenty to choose from I imagine, so you can go on with your pointless rants, insults and public display of ignorance without getting in the way of people who are trying to make things work. You know who you are.

Thanks.
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 05:16 AM   #78
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemorroid
WoW, you really dont know what your talking about do you!, SuSE have always charged and provided SuSE for free as the same time. Novell love the idea of free opensource software and have opensourced YaST and going to do with Connector, SuSE/Novell already have a superiour server product than RH.

People pay because they get what they pay for, very good quality manuals, Official support, features unque to SuSE, consistand updates and sercuity fixes via YOU(YaST Online Update). Oh and the nvidia precompiled driver from the update site.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 07:34 AM   #79
MMYoung

I actually have the stock 5336 nVidia drivers working on Fedora Core 2. Don't ask me how, cause all I did was run the installer just like I did in Slackware. Blind a** luck I guess .

Later,
MMYoung
MMYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 08:45 AM   #80
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberSlug
Would not it be good if nVidia managed a page which tells of the latest news with drivers, and shows a meter as to what percentage of the driver has been completed.
well, as much as i would like to have a status bar like that, i don't think it will ever happen. if you have ever developed software, you will know that all you can do is try to get something working by a certain date (like what game developers do). you run into unexpected happenings, and *never* know how long it will last. the problem is also that they will often have to just "make due" in order to meet deadlines. many games are unable to be released bug free because the developers were more worried about security exploits etc than the actual game by the time the deadline rolls around.

not only that, but it would slow the developers down to have to update a progress.

oh well, would be nice if it were possible, but i don't see that as possible.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.

Last edited by Kamel; 05-30-04 at 04:02 PM.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-04, 08:56 AM   #81
pzgren

Quote:
SuSE have always charged and provided SuSE for free as the same time. Novell love the idea of free opensource software and have opensourced YaST and going to do with Connector, SuSE/Novell already have a superiour server product than RH.
1. Why do you answering yourself? ;-)
2. Show me the link to the full download version SuSE Linux 9.1 installable from CD? No tryout, Shareware and no eMule link, please. :-)
I do not know SuSE more good enough, my last was 4.x, but I have always to buy it, that is good, I say it too.

Quote:
People pay because they get what they pay for, very good quality manuals, Official support, features unque to SuSE, consistand updates and sercuity fixes via YOU(YaST Online Update). Oh and the nvidia precompiled driver from the update site.
You get this with all other distribution. And from apt or yum have you nothing heard? Do not let that an Debian user hearing...

Happy Weekend,

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 09:16 AM   #82
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
1. Why do you answering yourself? ;-)
2. Show me the link to the full download version SuSE Linux 9.1 installable from CD? No tryout, Shareware and no eMule link, please. :-)
I do not know SuSE more good enough, my last was 4.x, but I have always to buy it, that is good, I say it too.

You get this with all other distribution. And from apt or yum have you nothing heard? Do not let that an Debian user hearing...

Happy Weekend,

Marcus

Well if you cannot find SuSE's website and look for the ftp download then you'd better stay where you are and stop the FUD.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
Old 05-28-04, 10:49 AM   #83
Evil Penguin

Quote:
Well if you cannot find SuSE's website and look for the ftp download then you'd better stay where you are and stop the FUD.

Uhm, actually he's right, you can't download the full SuSE distribution as .iso's/whatever.

All you can get for free from SuSE is a FTP-install .iso and a Live Evalution .iso.
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 01:51 PM   #84
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin
Uhm, actually he's right, you can't download the full SuSE distribution as .iso's/whatever.

All you can get for free from SuSE is a FTP-install .iso and a Live Evalution .iso.
Thats why there is a ftp install, SuSE dont provide iso's, the ftp install is a full or whatever you want install. What part of FREE can people not understand, and there is nothing stopping people getting the iso's elsewhere as SuSE is freely to distribute when brought. I'm not talking about illegal sites ether as they share it.