Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-28-04, 03:07 PM   #85
Evil Penguin

Default Re: Nvidia working on new driver for 2.6.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Thats why there is a ftp install, SuSE dont provide iso's, the ftp install is a full or whatever you want install. What part of FREE can people not understand, and there is nothing stopping people getting the iso's elsewhere as SuSE is freely to distribute when brought. I'm not talking about illegal sites ether as they share it.
My point is just that you can't claim that they make a full CD installation available when they don't.

Sure, for lots of people a netinstall is great, but not everyone.

Seriously though, I think this silly discussion should either end or continue in another thread as it has nothing to do with the 4k stacks issue with the nvidia driver!
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 03:14 PM   #86
energyman76b

Hi,

for the guy who uses nvidia+4kstack:

there are reports of filesystem corruption, you SHOULD NOT do that!
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 03:17 PM   #87
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin
My point is just that you can't claim that they make a full CD installation available when they don't.

Sure, for lots of people a netinstall is great, but not everyone.

Seriously though, I think this silly discussion should either end or continue in another thread as it has nothing to do with the 4k stacks issue with the nvidia driver!
Sorry last point, the ftp install is 5Gb+ but is missing some 'commerial' apps, it's very popular.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 03:42 PM   #88
Mow

This will be my only address to SULinux ........ dude you either need some midol or a nap because all of your constant whimpering and putting people down is

Now I will ignore you ......
Mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 06:32 PM   #89
CyberSlug
Fedora Core 2

Send a message via MSN to CyberSlug

Oh well... I guess any sort of news bearing page would be good, anything that shows us the status of the drivers, even if it just reports the problems.

It does not need to be perfectly cooridinated, as long as the users can see that development is going on.

Maybe not... Just an idea.

: I love these smilies
Gigabyte 7N400 Pro 2
512 DDR RAM
CyberSlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 09:35 AM   #90
pzgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
Hi,
for the guy who uses nvidia+4kstack:
there are reports of filesystem corruption, you SHOULD NOT do that!
Hmm, I use the nVIDIA 1.0-5341 +4kstack driver now on a raid-0/1 with ext3, reiserfs and xfs. Before months on one SATA disk.

I can play for hours EnemyT or copy >1GB files. All what was with corruption I ve read by google, are with development kernel eg -mm from A.M. or:

- bad/wrong BIOS settings/manufactor
- cheap flaky trash hardware
- OC like hell
- bad cooling and air flow in the PC case
- development kernel/distribution
- a setting in the kernel 2.6 named mregparm

Now think what you want, maybe I am wrong or have luck with my HW, but it runs here. My only prob was the magic advanced programmable interrupt controller (APIC) in the past...But this is with 2.6.7-rc2 history here.

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 05:00 PM   #91
gilboa
Linux addict...

I really don't understand this thread...
nVidia will support the 4k stacks simply because the 8K option is about to be phased out. (2.6.7 tree?)
RedHat chose to use it by default for an assortment of reasons (check the RH mailing list archive); I can't say that I agree with all of them, but most of them seem reasonable enough. (To me.)

The SUSE vs. RedHat troll-fight has no place in this forum and should have been moderated out. Please move it to slashdot or something.

Now, unless anyone has something constructive to contribute...
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 05:09 PM   #92
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mow
This will be my only address to SULinux ........ dude you either need some midol or a nap because all of your constant whimpering and putting people down is

Now I will ignore you ......
riiight, he's just on the defense.

look, if SuSE or even gentoo somehow made a mistake that ****ed up all of their nvidia users, then i would rag on them... but they didn't.

fact is, plain and simple, it's fedora's fault, not nvidia. you wont get that through your thick skull, and this isn't a ****ing distro war, it's just to tell you that you should not blame nvidia, or fedora, or anyone!.

IF you should blame someone, blame fedora; not nvidia. that's the facts, plain and simple. don't know what kind of ****ed up logic you guys learn in school, but it makes no sense.

i'm so angry i'm going to drink some tea. yes, that made as much sense as your arguements have.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-04, 06:19 PM   #93
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboa
I really don't understand this thread...
nVidia will support the 4k stacks simply because the 8K option is about to be phased out. (2.6.7 tree?)
RedHat chose to use it by default for an assortment of reasons (check the RH mailing list archive); I can't say that I agree with all of them, but most of them seem reasonable enough. (To me.)

The SUSE vs. RedHat troll-fight has no place in this forum and should have been moderated out. Please move it to slashdot or something.

Now, unless anyone has something constructive to contribute...
Well I'm sorry about that but the fedora trolls only see nvidia as the bad guys not the fedora kernel devs who enabled it. 4kstacks is not directed at the desktop or for speeding up games I may add.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 09:04 PM   #94
CrLf
Linux Power!

I think what someone here has to get through his thick skull is that 4kstacks is a trend amongst the kernel people. Fedora just enabled it by default first. Someone has to be the first. This already happened before many times, if they didn't do this you will be using libc5 still!

nvidia only releases closed source drivers, which is fine, but that means that they will have to keep up with the kernel, and not the other way around.
Old 05-30-04, 09:17 PM   #95
Mow

Quote:
I think what someone here has to get through his thick skull is that 4kstacks is a trend amongst the kernel people. Fedora just enabled it by default first. Someone has to be the first. This already happened before many times, if they didn't do this you will be using libc5 still!
YES!!!!! AMEN!!!!!
Mow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 03:54 AM   #96
gilboa
Linux addict...

I agree with CrLf.
nVidia is entitled to release closed source drives if it feels that opening (a bigger part of) the source will endanger their IP.
However, this requires them to keep closer tabs on current trends in the kernel development.

They have improved considerably in the past two years; the automated installers with the automated build procedure is a well placed effort. I hope that you'll continue doing this in the future.

Oh... and if they can find some time to improve the sucky FPS we're getting in UT2K4, I'll give my left kidney to nVidia
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote