Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-04, 03:01 PM   #1
4xel

Default Unable to play ET because of sound -- kernel 2.6

Hi,

i just installed the nvidia drivers and etc in debian unstable for the stock kernel 2.6 and everything seems fine, except the game hangs at startup trying to init the audio ... i'm pretty sure i't's some ALSA thing cause i've had problems with other stuff, anyone know the quick fix or, at least, the commandline switch to disable sound in ET?

Thansks
4xel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-04, 04:26 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Unable to play ET because of sound -- kernel 2.6

most likely something is posessing your sound card -- and most likely it's arts sound daemon (if you use KDE).

the easiest fix for this is to go into control center, click the + next to sound and multimedia, click sound system, and the bottom where it says "auto-suspect sound system if idle for:" set this to 0 seconds.

start up ET (do this by typing et into a terminal window, not by clicking an icon), and see if it works. if it doesn't, paste the error msg here pls.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-04, 06:08 PM   #3
4xel

Default Re: Unable to play ET because of sound -- kernel 2.6

Heh, that was it. I'm not using KDE but gnome, so it was esd using the soundcard. As a workaround, i simply changed the 'et' script to do:

#!/bin/sh
killall esd
...run et here
esd &
exit 0

... and it works perfectly now. Now, if you excuse me, i have an allied invastion to stop. Cheers!
4xel is offline   Reply With Quote