Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-26-04, 09:59 AM   #1
Hyperspam

Thumbs up NV5 silencer ownage

Hi.

After reading some horror stories about how badly constructed the NV5 silencer was on these forums, it was with much hesitation that I ordered one myself, to go on my reference-designed Gainward 6800 GT (yes, the scam-card).

I saw numbers here ranging from low to mid 70's after changing to the NV5 silencer, and considering with the stock heatsink my card ran about 83 degrees with RTHDRIBL on for only a few minutes, I thought it'd be worth it.

So I got the NV5 silencer, noticed that it indeed was pretty badly built. I had to use alot of paste on some of the memory modules to get decent contact, and I had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink to avoid collision with the plastic casing. As for the core, I rubbed in a very thin layer of AS5 on the heatsink as it was a very rough surface, then applied a thicker layer all over the core. After trying it out only about half the core made contact, so I had to slap on more AS5 and figured this will probably not work out well at all.

But now i've been running RTHDRIBL at the highest settings at 863x907 res for about 20 minutes... and the core is still fluctuating between 62 and 63 degrees. That's over 20 degrees less than I had before! This is at 400/1100, and i'm thinking i'll have plenty of room for a voltmod and higher clocks now.

So, I strongly recommend the Artic Silencer atleast if you have the single-slot reference cooler. It doesn't look good when you're installing it, but looks can be decieving!

Hyperspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 10:05 AM   #2
mustrum

Default Re: NV5 silencer ownage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperspam
Hi.

After reading some horror stories about how badly constructed the NV5 silencer was on these forums, it was with much hesitation that I ordered one myself, to go on my reference-designed Gainward 6800 GT (yes, the scam-card).

I saw numbers here ranging from low to mid 70's after changing to the NV5 silencer, and considering with the stock heatsink my card ran about 83 degrees with RTHDRIBL on for only a few minutes, I thought it'd be worth it.

So I got the NV5 silencer, noticed that it indeed was pretty badly built. I had to use alot of paste on some of the memory modules to get decent contact, and I had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink to avoid collision with the plastic casing. As for the core, I rubbed in a very thin layer of AS5 on the heatsink as it was a very rough surface, then applied a thicker layer all over the core. After trying it out only about half the core made contact, so I had to slap on more AS5 and figured this will probably not work out well at all.

But now i've been running RTHDRIBL at the highest settings at 863x907 res for about 20 minutes... and the core is still fluctuating between 62 and 63 degrees. That's over 20 degrees less than I had before! This is at 400/1100, and i'm thinking i'll have plenty of room for a voltmod and higher clocks now.

So, I strongly recommend the Artic Silencer atleast if you have the single-slot reference cooler. It doesn't look good when you're installing it, but looks can be decieving!

This shows once more how crappy the reference coolers of current video cards are. Imagine what temps you'd get if there would be a cooler just like the NV5 but well made! I think it's unbearable since we pay a premium price for current cards and get so crappy cooling solutions.
Gigabyte 8800 GTS G92 (800/1944/2050)
mustrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 10:33 AM   #3
swsnyder

Installing the NV5 on my BFG 6800GT OC reduced my temperatures by 10C. That reduction is seen both when idle and under load. It also reduced my case temps by a couple of degrees.

My only concern about the NV5 is that the blades of the fan is so very very close to the card in the next slot, about 1/8 inch. I'm worried that if the NV5 shifts at all it will impact the adjacent network card.

Other than the positioning, I am happy with my NV5.
swsnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 11:10 AM   #4
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

I saw almost 20 degree's when I put one on my BFG.

My NV5 had no problems. It fit great.
I love my NV5.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 12:50 PM   #5
Decimator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrum
This shows once more how crappy the reference coolers of current video cards are. Imagine what temps you'd get if there would be a cooler just like the NV5 but well made! I think it's unbearable since we pay a premium price for current cards and get so crappy cooling solutions.
Exactly, the card manufacturers should spend a bit more in that area for their own good as well, they would get fewer RMA'd cards and a better reputation.
Decimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 01:58 PM   #6
Hyperspam

I was most surprised at the thermal pads or whatever the hell they were that were used for the memory. They seemed to be made of some sort of foam-ish material, no way they could have anywhere near decent heat transfer.

And the heatsink for the core is tiny, way smaller than what was on for example my GF2 GTS. The whole thing looks pretty solid until you remove that aluminum sheet with the graphics on it... Though it did seem to have decent thermal paste under it, looked and felt pretty much like Arctic Silver.
Hyperspam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 02:31 PM   #7
YOGIx213

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustrum

Not to discredit the NV5, I think it is a great cooling solution for the 6800 series, but I don't think the reference cooler is as bad as people say. With some minor tweaks using Expertool, my fan is quiet and with the eVGA copper heatsink rather than the aluminum stock heatsink, my temps are down from an average of 64c idle (around 85-90c under load) to 53c idle (around the 70's under load).

Windows Vista Home Premium 32bit
Intel E6750 @ 3.2
Asus P5N-E SLI Mobo
Kingston 2gb DDR2 pc6400Dual Channel Kit
Maxtor 500gb SATAII hd
eVGA 8800 GT 512mb (700/1750/955)
(Stock Air Fan)

3dMark 2006 Score: 12301
http://bf2s.com/player/yogix213/
YOGIx213 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 03:19 PM   #8
Cinders

Thumbs up Re: NV5 silencer ownage

Remember AS5 needs about 200 hours use before it's completely effective... I'm running mine at stock speeds for a month to bed it in before overclocking...

I don't think you can really slate the original heatsinks, my BFG Ultra OC overclocked to 464/1200 with the standard heatsink! I only got the NV5 because the original heatsink is so loud!...
My Rig Here :- http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=45323 - MACH II on it's way!...
Cinders is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-26-04, 03:27 PM   #9
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinders
Remember AS5 needs about 200 hours use before it's completely effective... I'm running mine at stock speeds for a month to bed it in before overclocking...

I don't think you can really slate the original heatsinks, my BFG Ultra OC overclocked to 464/1200 with the standard heatsink! I only got the NV5 because the original heatsink is so loud!...
That is correct.
My temps have dropped 4 more degree's on idle since
I installed my NV5 and AS5.
I hope it drops some more.
It's been almost 2 weeks now.
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 04:37 PM   #10
K007

"had to trim down the voltage regulator heatsink "

Indeed that was annoying, they never mention anything about this. I just screwed really hard because the new screws dont break off anymore.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 06:01 PM   #11
xrotanimret
gar gar gar

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007
I just screwed really hard because the new screws dont break off anymore.
/me looks at NV Silencer 5 he received last week that had one of the screws snap off during the first installation

Sure they don't, buddy. Sure they don't. Flimsy piece of ****.. and of course, nobody from Arctic Cooling returns any of my e-mails. 6 year warranty my ass..
xrotanimret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-04, 11:21 PM   #12
Ironmanstl

Glad it worked for you, I had no probs with my install either,
as long as you tighten evenly and don't crank the nuts down you'll be fine

check your detect optimal frequencies,mine increased 10 on my gpu running 1.4v with the addition of the nv5

also I noticed it might be wise to check the screws in a week or 2, mine loosened a bit, I think it was due to the settling of the as5
(I put excess on the mem chips to ensure good contact)

Iron
Ironmanstl is offline   Reply With Quote