Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-24-04, 10:45 AM   #1
zero0w

Question AGP drive strength: What's the deal with it?

This is probably a shot in the dark, but if there's any nVidia employee reading this, I would like to ask what's the deal with AGP drive strength?

The reason I ask this is because I have been trying to install nVidia Linux driver 1.0-5336 on my old system (VIA Apollo 133 + PIII 667) with a GeForce 2 MX + a CMV CT-522A LCD monitor. The X server failed to start and instead, I was faced with some text garbages on the screen. I reverted back to the "nv" 2D open source driver and started reading some documentation, and there is a part about adjusting AGP drive strength between the range EA - EF. I tried manually changing to all 6 values of them one by one, and the X-Server still failed to start.

On frustration, I changed the AGP drive strength setting back to [Auto] as it was the default BIOS setting. For some reason, I was hoping miracle would happen, and then, it REALLY happened. Having saved the BIOS setting, then booting my Mandrake 9.2 system and X-Server suddenly started with "nvidia" module! I did not know what happened exactly, so if someone can enlighten me what AGP drive strength is all about (and why my problem was resolved this way) I really appreciate it.

Thanks.
zero0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 07:29 PM   #2
delt

Send a message via ICQ to delt
Default "official support" ...

> if there's any nVidia employee reading this

maybe so maybe not, but they'll ignore you either way. and then they call this "official tech support".

Last edited by delt; 05-24-04 at 11:47 PM.
delt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 07:54 PM   #3
SuLinUX

Default Re: "official support" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt

either they hired a bunch of brainless monkeys for their "official customer support" or they decided to completely ignore cash-paying customers.
Or the brainless monkeys cannot install a nvidia driver or troubleshoot the issue, can they say 'Google' or 'motherboard manual'
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 08:38 PM   #4
delt

Default Re: AGP drive strength: What's the deal with it?

i did everything i could to troubleshoot these errors, spent hours reading google search results, tested dozens of (changes to) xf86config files, my motherboard's manual doesn't specify anything that relates to this issue, the video card comes with a ****ty manual, all the online specs i could find weren't much help either, neither was this so-called "support" message board or e-mails to nvidia tech support.

any more smart suggestions?
Old 05-24-04, 09:44 PM   #5
dpw2atox

nvidia doesn't officially support linux.....sucks for us right now but the fact that they are even releasing drivers is good. its one of those things where you just gotta keep digging around. one day when linux is bigger and more popular these problems should be much more sparse.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 11:38 PM   #6
delt

Yes they do officially support Linux, it says so on the packaging and advertising of their products, and also on their website. Hardware manufaturing companies who don't, are simply deficient and shouldn't even be in the business. Linux is way past the point of being some "obscure university project by some guy in Finland".

and yeah i'm pretty damn sick of being frowned at on the basis that i use a real operating system.
Old 05-25-04, 03:24 AM   #7
Evil Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw2atox
nvidia doesn't officially support linux.....sucks for us right now but the fact that they are even releasing drivers is good. its one of those things where you just gotta keep digging around. one day when linux is bigger and more popular these problems should be much more sparse.
At least they claim to officially support Linux....
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 08:23 AM   #8
zero0w

Bump.

Anyone has any idea on AGP drive strength and how it affects the Linux nVidia driver?
zero0w is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-04, 10:37 AM   #9
ghostwalker

When you drive strength? You mean voltage to the agp slot? By adjusting it from auto to a specific value you may be disclosing a voltage problem of you PSU (power supply). This happens when you have a lot of peripherals. What it the wattage of you PSU. Most are 350W or above for a good desktop.
ghostwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 10:41 AM   #10
Evil Penguin

http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/Speed..._Guide_02g.htm has some info on what the AGP driving strength settings do.
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 11:45 AM   #11
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

It might be prudent to check if there are any BIOS updates for your motherboard .
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 05:50 PM   #12
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: "official support" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by delt

maybe so maybe not, but they'll ignore you either way. and then they call this "official tech support".
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux.html

For an external resource on Linux topics, visit the discussion forum at nvnews.net
This forum is clearly linked from the official nVIDIA Linux Driver download site as an 'external resource' -- 'official tech support' is not used anywhere there. The only 'official' technical support avenue listed with these drivers is email correspondence via linux-bugs@nvidia.com.