Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-04, 07:55 AM   #109
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
you are right about conmplaining. i shouldbnt be vcause the game sure is fun. but what kinds of FPS do yuou get on your 9800pro?
Erm, you misunderstood. It wasn't directed at you specifically. It's just that widespread feeling about the game being ****ty in general just because it's performance is up and down. I say bash the game, but for the right reasons. To say for example that it's graphics are worst than Doom 3, an unrealeased game that we don't really know a lot of stuff about its performance either, is a tad premature. I too expect it to be better btw, but i'll prefer to see it first. After all, i remember a game named IW that would be king, but turned out to be a bit terrible.

I didn't count my fps, but i run the game at 800x600 with AA/AF/bloom off and it was smooth. Had the same problems with shadows using the 4.5's so i used 4.4's. Weird thing is it never crashed, nor did i had any problems re-assigning the keys to my liking like some other people. Same with the demo.

In any case, performance isn't perfect but it's another thing i'm worried about: feeling. And Thief III definately hasn't got that Thiefy feeling for me. There are some great levels after that terrible start (ex the cradle) but overall, lots of things are missing. Things that the good old Dark Engine could do. Go figure
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:24 AM   #110
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCA M12
Erm, you misunderstood. It wasn't directed at you specifically. It's just that widespread feeling about the game being ****ty in general just because it's performance is up and down. I say bash the game, but for the right reasons. To say for example that it's graphics are worst than Doom 3, an unrealeased game that we don't really know a lot of stuff about its performance either, is a tad premature. I too expect it to be better btw, but i'll prefer to see it first. After all, i remember a game named IW that would be king, but turned out to be a bit terrible.

I didn't count my fps, but i run the game at 800x600 with AA/AF/bloom off and it was smooth. Had the same problems with shadows using the 4.5's so i used 4.4's. Weird thing is it never crashed, nor did i had any problems re-assigning the keys to my liking like some other people. Same with the demo.

In any case, performance isn't perfect but it's another thing i'm worried about: feeling. And Thief III definately hasn't got that Thiefy feeling for me. There are some great levels after that terrible start (ex the cradle) but overall, lots of things are missing. Things that the good old Dark Engine could do. Go figure
i wish this game would have been more stable from the get go. i'm not having problems, but for people who havent played to orginals (poor souls) this game was gonna put thief on the map. oh well, and doom 3 has me worried cause.. if the thief 3 designers felt this was a great game.. they werent totally accurate.. what about the doom 3 guys? i hope they remember what makes games fun... originality and storyline. cross our fingers..

by the way.. i am still debating on a 9800.. i am only holding out cause of doom3 and everyone saying it is gonna love the 5900
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:27 AM   #111
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
i hope they remember what makes games fun... originality and storyline.
If that's your criteria, then Doom 3 is going to disappoint you. What's going to make it great is the gameplay and atmosphere.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 09:59 AM   #112
zoomy942

true that saturn. once i step out of the circle then i relaize that the things that make a game great depend on the type of game it is.

by the way, i cant wait for doom 3 . it better be as much fun as i am drermaing it is cause i am holding onto my 5900 just for that!
Old 06-02-04, 03:39 PM   #113
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Quote:
true that saturn. once i step out of the circle then i relaize that the things that make a game great depend on the type of game it is.

by the way, i cant wait for doom 3 . it better be as much fun as i am drermaing it is cause i am holding onto my 5900 just for that!
Cudos to Doom3; hopefully it will be soon.

As for Half Life 2; I think by the time it's out, we will be playing holographic gaming systems.
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 08:43 PM   #114
zoomy942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_0126
Cudos to Doom3; hopefully it will be soon.

As for Half Life 2; I think by the time it's out, we will be playing holographic gaming systems.
just think... by the time dukem numkem forever comes out... we'll be able to step into the game.
Old 06-04-04, 06:59 AM   #115
zoomy942

whats the point of factions? i have the hammerites allied but they still attack me in the clocktower? makes me want to just kill them since it doesnt matter anyway
Old 06-04-04, 08:24 PM   #116
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

Your faction status is pointless in actual Missions like the clocktower. Regardless what your faction status is with any group, they will see you as an enemy when a mission involves infiltrating one of their strongholds. The good news is since it's a mission, you can kick their asses and it won't affect your faction status.

Currently, I'm allied with the Hammers and the Pagans sees me as neutral. None of them mess with me at in the city. I can enter Ironwood without a problem because they know I'm there to kill undead. In the city, Hammerites often rescue me from Watchers!

But if I get the idea of tossing a wrench into their clocktower, the Builder won't be pleased ...

Old 06-05-04, 12:09 AM   #117
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wow, that faction thing is pretty cool, I really need to pick up this game (eventually). I played the demo and thought it was quite fun, but it sounds like the game gets better as you go on. Wonder if they'll be making a Thief Rebirth texture pack for it, I thought the default textures were alright but seeing them in 4x the resolution...
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 06:17 PM   #118
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

HELP! the game keep crashing to desktop after loading Auldale's map ...
i'm about to start the mission where you have to search Gamall's house , now i cant get any further since it crash as soon as the map is loaded !!!

i tried uninstalling the game .. disbaled EAX done everything ! i tried some other older savegames but still no luck !

i cant start the game all over again!! help!

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 07:12 PM   #119
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Wait...it still has the problem when you load older savegames? But it still crashes at the SAME place, right? Hmm, that's kinda strange, almost sounds like the map file is corrupt or something. Not sure what else you can try, have you unpluged/disabled any joypads?
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 07:22 PM   #120
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Wait...it still has the problem when you load older savegames? But it still crashes at the SAME place, right? Hmm, that's kinda strange, almost sounds like the map file is corrupt or something. Not sure what else you can try, have you unpluged/disabled any joypads?
Yeah the same place .. exactly a sec after the map is loaded .

i'm not using any joypads .
i dont know if its maybe a dispaly drivers related ?? i'm using 4.4 .

if there is a cheat for mission skipping , or someone has a savegame after this place .. i'm sure that would help .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote