Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-07-04, 03:11 AM   #121
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows Thread

Hmm, it seems a bug related to reloading the game and difficulty settings has been found. Basically when saved data is loaded (which obviously includes savegames, but also map data for an area you have already been to), the AI's attack damage and auditory/visual preception is reset to Normal difficulty regardless of what it's supposed to be set at. If you're playing the game on Expert and have reloaded a save game rather than restarted the level, you'll mostly be playing at Normal difficulty (except for enemy hitpoints, those stay at the appropriate levels). Here's the full thread:

http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthrea...8&page=1&pp=25

Oh, and SH64, this got me thinking: what if the problem has something to do with data that's being loaded from your savegame? Is that an area of the game you've been to before? If so, the only thing I can think of is that the save file for that map became corrupt and when it loads it the game crashes. If it's a new area, then I'm not sure what can be causing it, aside from an error in the map data (maybe try exchanging your copy of the game for a new one? Worth a shot). Only other workaround I can think of is to quickly press ESC as soon as the level loads to go to the menu, then try Restarting the level and seeing if that fixes it (assuming that you have enough time to get into the menu).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 05:17 AM   #122
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

SH64, although i never experienced it myself, i heard some people had problems with corrupt saves. I believe that would happen only with the quicksaving function, normal saves would always work. Try reloading a previous save (not a qs).
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 08:42 AM   #123
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Oh, and SH64, this got me thinking: what if the problem has something to do with data that's being loaded from your savegame? Is that an area of the game you've been to before? If so, the only thing I can think of is that the save file for that map became corrupt and when it loads it the game crashes. If it's a new area, then I'm not sure what can be causing it, aside from an error in the map data (maybe try exchanging your copy of the game for a new one? Worth a shot). Only other workaround I can think of is to quickly press ESC as soon as the level loads to go to the menu, then try Restarting the level and seeing if that fixes it (assuming that you have enough time to get into the menu).
The map is Auldale & i already been there before . yeah i have the same feeling that there is a corrupt or something causing this .. maybe because when you leave the map & the guards after you .. they stay there & when i return back & the map is loaded i get into the same spot that the guard is waiting on & that cause the corrupt ??
i get only one sec in after the map is loaded & i can do nothing in that short time .
however i see i f restarting the game from other spots may do something with it .. thats my last chance .

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCA M12
SH64, although i never experienced it myself, i heard some people had problems with corrupt saves. I believe that would happen only with the quicksaving function, normal saves would always work. Try reloading a previous save (not a qs).
i did try all my saved games .. i always save my games in different spots & ensure that between each saved game theres a lot of changes ... but this time none work . whenever i go there i get the same problem .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 09:14 AM   #124
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hmm, odd...well I wonder if it's possible to delete the save data for only that map and have it be played at default. Maybe check the threads on save game corruption at the Ion Storm forum, maybe there's a fix of some kind...maybe.
Old 06-07-04, 11:26 AM   #125
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy

I just went to Creative's website to use their AutoUpdate web-utility on my Audigy 1.

Good news = fixed major EQ/ENV issues with the SurroundMixer.

Bad news = COMPLETELY BROKE EAX IN THIEF 3!! (no sound whatsoever)

I didn't create a savepoint beforehand ...
Old 06-07-04, 09:34 PM   #126
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

WOOHOO Finally fixed my problem !!

Thanks to Edge & NAZCA's tips ... i waited for the map to load then quickly got to main menu & saved the game (then as usuall it crashed) so i started the game again & loaded the last saved game and tadaa ! .. it worked !!

Last edited by SH64; 06-08-04 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-08-04, 12:28 AM   #127
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Cool, glad you got it fixed. Ahh yes, I remember the good old days of trying to get by bugs by coming up with creative solutions...it's kinda like a puzzle game except unintentional.
Old 06-09-04, 06:57 PM   #128
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Good news .
EIDOS is preparing a T3 patch !

http://www.avault.com/news/displayne...=692004-141148

Quote:
Eidos has confirmed the existence of the Thief 3 A.I. bug mentioned in this report. A public relations representative for the company told the Adrenaline Vault a patch for the PC version will be made available "soon." No word on an Xbox update.
well i just finished the game so i dont think i'll be needing it anymore

Old 06-10-04, 05:43 AM   #129
NAZCA M12
Master Thief

Glad it worked for you. Ah, look what we gamers have to do sometimes to make these high-tech games work properly I'm eager to replay the game with the patch and see the AI's full potential (consistently heh).
P4 3,2@3,85GHz - Asus P4C800-E - 2Gb DDR-500 OCZ - 2x WD Raptors (Raid 0) - Creative Audigy 2 - ATI AIW 9800Pro - Antec 550W - LG GSA 4163b - NEC ND-3540A - Viewsonic VG700 - Antec Plus 660 AMG - Creative Inspire T7700 - Win98SE/XP
NAZCA M12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 05:38 PM   #130
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

New patch!
Fixes the save game bug:

http://www.3dgamers.com/games/thief3/
Old 06-22-04, 08:53 AM   #131
RaggaMuffin

I like this game a lot more than Deus Ex:IW. It hasnt crashed yet and I havent had any stuttering yet even though the framerate could be better.

I actually find the graphics a real relief. A lot of this is because in my view thief 1 and 2 had the worst graphics going. worse than quake 1. The AI seems better as well.

my only complaints would be that the play areas arent as big as they could be, though definitely bigger than Deus Ex:IW. Also the gameplay seems to get a bit monotonous but i suppose its not an action title.

I actually find the performance less of an issue than far cry. In that game speed is a necessity because of all the long range shots being aimed at you when youre in exposed positions. In this you can sneak off to some shadows and chill for a bit instead of having to run manically about.

overall a good game. If i like it enough i may even play through thief 1 and 2 to see what the storys about and maybe even then onto all the previous looking glass games.
ATI Radeon 9700
120gb IBM HD
Audigy 2 OEM
RaggaMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-04, 05:03 AM   #132
SH0DAN
SGIRealityEngine

Send a message via ICQ to SH0DAN

I just did a re-install of xp pro and accidentally erased my save games for the full game not the demo,could anyone here who has save games starting from the
the mission where you have to retrieve the paw from the pagans get into contact with me.TIA.
When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves, in the course of time, a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it. -Fred Bastiat-

The last official act of a corrupt government is to loot the nation.

When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.
P. J. O'Rourke

------------------
Q6600 g0 @3.20Ghz 1.30 VOLTS||Tr ULTIMA 90I + ||2X1Gb Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC6400 4-3-3-7@ 400 x 8
BFG 260gtx MAXCORE55 @ 690/1420/2377 ||Asus P5K-Deluxe WiFi AP||Corsair HX520||Nec 2470WNX-BK + LG 1751S|
Lian Li PC-65B + II||Western Digital 150GB RaptorX|| Samsung 750Gb HD x3|| WD 2500KS ||Samsung 183s||SB Audigy 2 ZS||Audio Technica ESW9's +red RSA Predator|G11+MX518
SH0DAN is offline   Reply With Quote