Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-04, 10:06 PM   #145
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows thread

I've never played the original Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 was my first Theif experience, and man, the game is great! I've beaten it twice now...I love everything about the game. The voice acting, the story line, the atmosphere, I think everything was done right.

Also, the Shalebridge Asylum aka The Cradle level has got to be one of the spookiest level I've every played. I had to stop playing once or twice, and whenever I pick locks, I constantly had to stop and turn around because I heard a noise. Freaky. This level ranks up there w/ Fatal Fram 2 and the Silent Hill series as one of the scariest gaming experience.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:21 PM   #146
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Do yourself a favor and pick up the first 2.... nowhere near as nice graphics but they are great games regardless. Plus you can see rope arrows and swimming which people complain about since they were in the first 2 and not in 3 :\.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 12:13 AM   #147
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Do yourself a favor and pick up the first 2.... nowhere near as nice graphics but they are great games regardless. Plus you can see rope arrows and swimming which people complain about since they were in the first 2 and not in 3 :\.
I will do just that! I've been meaning to pick up those two, but with Fall 04 school semester coming up, I might just have to wait until the holidays to pick them up and finish them.
Old 08-23-04, 09:16 AM   #148
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

i'm replaying Thief3 (@1600x1200 res) now in "Expert" mode , lets see if i can survive till the end or not !

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:45 PM   #149
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

I'm going to install Theif 3 again and beat it in the hardest difficulty also. This game is so much fun.
Old 08-27-04, 11:07 AM   #150
Ghosthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian126
I've never played the original Thief 1 and 2. Thief 3 was my first Theif experience, and man, the game is great! I've beaten it twice now...I love everything about the game. The voice acting, the story line, the atmosphere, I think everything was done right.

Also, the Shalebridge Asylum aka The Cradle level has got to be one of the spookiest level I've every played. I had to stop playing once or twice, and whenever I pick locks, I constantly had to stop and turn around because I heard a noise. Freaky. This level ranks up there w/ Fatal Fram 2 and the Silent Hill series as one of the scariest gaming experience.

I just finished the cradle level..to be perfectly honest i found that level the most annoying out of any so far..and was not scary at all...then again i am a a paranoraml investigator IRL so takes a lot to scare me.
G.Skill 16 GB Ram DDR3-1600
EVGA GTX 680 SC
Crucial M4 128 GB SSD
2x Samsung 1 TB Spinpoint 7200 RPM SATA HD103SJ
WD SE16 7200 RPM SATA 640 GB
SAMSUNG 22X SATA DVD Burner
CORSAIR 750TX PSU
LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B
Asus 25 inch VE258Q
Win7x64
Ghosthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 09:51 AM   #151
stonesy

I believe Theif 3 to be the best shadowing I've ever seen in a game. And to think that the shadow movement is pre-rendered is utter stupidty. The shadows react to your movement as to your interaction with the enviroment. As in this screenshot I was bludgening a hanging lamp which created shadows no matter which angle I smacked it at. And if I moved at the same time it cast an accurate shadow in the right direction you would expect too see one in real life.
stonesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 10:09 AM   #152
stonesy

Thumbs up Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows thread

I believe Theif 3 to be the best shadowing I've ever seen in a game. And to think that the shadow movement is pre-rendered is utter stupidty. The shadows react to your movement as to your interaction with the enviroment. As in this screenshot I was bludgening a hanging lamp which created shadows no matter which angle I smacked it at. And if I moved at the same time it cast an accurate shadow in the right direction you would expect too see one in real life. On the screen with Garret has a bow out, If I could upload fraps files I would, anyone with a brain cell could see just how good the shadows are. If you have this game get in a shadowed area, go 3rd person and whip out a few weapons one after the other. The shadows on the wall should be accurate in showing the exact weapon you've got out and in real time. Screenshots were taken with everything on full, 1280/768 resolution. No bloom.

Running a 2.66Ghz P4, 512Ram, GF6800 GT O/C (452mhz core clock/1200Ghz Memory speed)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	theif-shadows3.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	7718  Click image for larger version

Name:	theif-shadows4.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	7719  

Old 09-03-04, 10:36 AM   #153
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Stonesy... do yourself a favor and grab some of John P.s GREAT high res skins over at http://www.graphics-by-john-p.com/te...DS/index.shtml .... makes the game look a million times better.

It is a great looking game though.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 11:35 AM   #154
stonesy

Thanks for the link, only down side I can give theif really is the low res textures,, hmm and the short story. Argh hmm I just looked at the screens I uploaded lmao... they dont do the game justice at all. Stupid Photoshop compression, there anyway of uploading bigger files other than just 100k?

Last edited by stonesy; 09-03-04 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-03-04, 12:08 PM   #155
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

dude, photoshop jpg compressions suck. they're only good for saving large files. i'd use paint shop pro, it allows for finer jpg compression.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-04, 12:13 PM   #156
stonesy

Damn these skins are fine, once i've downloaded them that is blast 56k... stupid BT! hmm but they do look bloody good. One thing I'd like to know.. is that if I had a worse off GFX would they still look as good?