Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-04, 03:11 PM   #169
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows thread

I completely agree with you Severian126.... when I saw CS:S I just thought somebody screwed up and put CS shots up . It is just a little higher poly than the original CS and then they have reflections and new water.... which look very out of place to me with all of the other stuff.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 11:38 PM   #170
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
Honestly, besides the shadow's, Thief feels and looks like an older engine.
Er, that's basically true of every engine (but you forgot about the bump-mapping). Play Doom 3 and disable shadows and bump-mapping, it looks almost exactly like Quake 3, but that doesn't mean the engine isn't advanced. And really, I don't see how you could play CS:S and then say that Thief 3 feels like an old engine...CS:S practically looks like CS with pixel shader effects (and of course higher-poly models, but that's hardly engine-specific).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 06:45 PM   #171
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Well, finally put some time into this one and beat it. Fun game, better than I thought it was going to be, especially considering I thought I had gotten out of the whole stealth-game mood (I never did beat Splinter Cell). The last mission is really easy, but at least it was fun. Ending left a little bit to be desired as well, actually almost all the cutscenes were kinda boring except for one of the later ones, but overall not bad. The Cradle was certainly an interesting level, kinda reminded me of Silent Hill. It did seem a little short and the city sections and factions seemed a little underdeveloped, but I still got a good 11 hours out of the game (and I did most of the side-jobs).

Oh, and did anyone else actually prefer to play the game WITHOUT the high-detailed texture pack? At first I had it installed, but after I reformatted I forgot to reinstall it, and really the main thing I noticed was that my loading times were cut down from 30 seconds to 15 seconds. You rarely ever get close enough to a surface to see that much detail, about the only things that I really saw an improvement on was Garret himself and the ratbeast. Maybe when I get my 6800 card (someday) and play the game at 1600x1200 it will make a bigger difference, though.
Old 09-19-04, 07:02 PM   #172
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Hmmm... my load times weren't significantly changed with the texture pack.

And about the ending... it was sort of for fans of the older games (play Thief 1 and you will know).
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 07:37 PM   #173
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah, I played both the other Thief games (been a while though), but I still thought the ending was a little anti-climatic. It was alright, but it just seemed like nothing really changed after you beat the game, aside from defeating the big bad enemy of course. Oh well, I guess that always leaves the game open to the sequel