Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-30-04, 02:42 PM   #73
Vapor Trail
the way out,is the way in

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows Thread

The don't call it "Deadly Shadows" for nothing!

Vapor Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 02:49 PM   #74
hordaktheman
Hans... boobie...

Default Re: Thief 3 Deadly Shadows Screenshots

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderDruid
By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is "bloom", and why does it have to be disabled when AA is running? Thanks.
What happens in this process is that the entire scene gets rendered as a great big texture that is displayed on the screen. Since multisampling doesn't antialias textures, but polygons, any forcing of antialiasing gets lost in the process.

Supersamping *should* work, however.

-Aristotle
hordaktheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 02:57 PM   #75
Nv40
Agent-Fx

mmm.. seems that the shadow problems with catalist drivers are in other games too.. like splintercell and farcry they kill the performance very easily .. the only way i was able to play UNreal2 was with shadows off in my geforce4

in SCandora tomorrow.. in HOCP benchmarks the R420 was a bit "faster" than the NV40 but their shadows were not working.THief3 is very intensive with shadows. more than anyother game outthere.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 03:04 PM   #76
Vapor Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by covertghost
I haven't had any problems mapping keys whatsoever.
Are you using the in-demo mapping option?? It doesn't work here at all. I can't use arrows for movement and changing some of the assignments drops me back to the desktop. Worse yet, I heard a strange clicking sound coming from my computer right after the game CTD'd.

I must admit that I'm not impressed when basic things like key mapping are so messed up.
Old 05-30-04, 03:20 PM   #77
ZenmasteR

no wonder ion storm is shutting down and what will remain is a PS2 games firm...

dues ex 2 imo and reliance on xbox killed it imo, theif 3 will be saved through non official hacking etc of the UW engine
ZenmasteR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 03:32 PM   #78
Vapor Trail

here's a fix for the controls issue.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Thief: Deadly Shadows crashes every time I try to change the controls.

This problem is usually caused by a gamepad or joystick being plugged into the system. Since Thief: Deadly Shadows does not officially support any type of game controller, it can cause the game to crash. You will need to unplug your game controller, and restart the game. You should then be able to change the controls without problems.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Silly me!! Why on earth would I have a gamepad or joystick plugged into my computer????

Old 05-30-04, 03:53 PM   #79
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trail
Silly me!! Why on earth would I have a gamepad or joystick plugged into my computer????

I agree. That is some seriously bad coding.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 03:58 PM   #80
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vapor Trail
The don't call it "Deadly Shadows" for nothing!

LOL
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-04, 04:06 PM   #81
mario64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner
Hmm, a bit lower then I hoped for. I get the same lowest fps (20) with my 9800 XT in 1280x1024x16AF. I hoped a 6800 could run this game at a minimum of 60 fps...
Yeah, me too. Those numbers are quite disappointing. I wonder what kind of fps a X800XT would get?

Mario64
mario64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 06:18 PM   #82
tb77

The game runs well on my geforce 6800 gt, at 1600x1200, every detail max and bloom enabled. It's not a shooter, so you don't need fps above 30 to play it well. If you get low frame rates, try to disable your sound card and see (with fraps) if the fps will be the same.

Thomas
Old 05-30-04, 07:30 PM   #83
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike89
If someone else would have made this game using a different engine it would have probably been a good game. If the makers would have been from Painkiller, Manhunt, or FarCry, it would have run right.

I'm so sick and tired of games that run like this one does. No matter how good the game content is, the whole thing gets blown by a game that runs poorly. At least this is the way it is for me. To me the 6800 Ultra (from Mike C's stats) is not even running it fast enough.

I tried the demo, already un-installed it, I'm done with this POS. People who make games that run like this should get out of this business period and let the ones who know what they're doing handle it.

I may install it one more time when I get my X800XT PE to give it one more spin. Mike C's stats are better but there is only so much a vid card can do if it's a game issue. I have never been a big fan of the Unreal engine to begin with. All these game makers want to concentrate on visuals and the latest do dads, fine, but give me a game that runs decent. Some of those guys got their priorities backwards. I guess that's a by-product of pressure, deadlines, and trying to make a buck.
I agree. I have the Xbox version, and it's a dog.

Yet, Ninja Gaiden runs at 60 fps 99.5% of the time.

Yes, I know it's to do with realtime shadows, but ion storm absolutely knows, like we all do, the older nvidia hardware can't handle shadows well.

So, when a guard runs up to you with a torch in his hand, it's a slideshow.

I wasted my $$$ on it for sure. It's trade-in fodder now.
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 09:54 PM   #84
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mario64
Yeah, me too. Those numbers are quite disappointing. I wonder what kind of fps a X800XT would get?
Actually, I was pleased with the results from the GeForce 6800 Ultra after having read a number of discussions concerning subpar performance. Thief 3 has a dynamic shadow engine, which interacts with a real-time lighting system. This feature adds a new dimension to gameplay and is the result of innovative game developers.

As gamers we demand increased realism, yet we are quick to judge the developer as incompetent when our systems don't perform as expected. Although my initial results were with level 4 multisampling (4X AA) enabled at 1024x768, I am also testing other settings.

I have an X800 Pro running on another PC and had planned to spend time testing Thief 3 on it. Performance looked encouraging, but there were a number of problems with the Catalyst 4.5 drivers. I could not enable AA at all and there were a variety of texture related issues.

The most annoying problem was with shifting textures. For example, I kept the player stationary as shown in the first screenshot below. While the player's up and down bobbing motion took place, the textures on the ceiling were continuously shifting from the right to the left.

I read that the Catalyst 4.4 resolve some of these issues, but I don't know if they support the X800.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote