Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-04, 02:34 PM   #13
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: Fedora Core 2: Solution without compiling kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
i totally agree with what you said, except for "why not use them?" -- if you're having problems, just build your own. if you can get away with using an RPM and not have to compile the kernel, then all the better.

point is, if you've having trouble with it, just compile the kernel.
That is reasonable if you are talking about one single computer, however inability to use the driver also afflicts people with multiple machines (i.e. a whole computer lab). So to "just compile the kernel" for a computer lab is not an option. Just wanted to point that out.
Old 05-27-04, 02:51 PM   #14
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
That is reasonable if you are talking about one single computer, however inability to use the driver also afflicts people with multiple machines (i.e. a whole computer lab). So to "just compile the kernel" for a computer lab is not an option. Just wanted to point that out.
i suppose, but then again, if you are running a computer lab you will likely not want to keep the latest version of the kernel. also, you *could* recompile it once, then copy the bzImage over to the other computers... providing everything works out fine.

lastly, every computer lab person should have a ghosted pre-configured OS, so you could just get it working on one then ghost all of the computers without overwriting /home.

besides, i see no reason why you would need linux or opengl to work in a lab -- i'm sure some do exist, but that's kindof rare. those that do exist would probably benefit from not using a distro that isn't well tested; probably use RHE.

like i said though, i don't want you all thinking i'm a "elitest prick" as they call them. i have written how-to's whenever i can, and i always offer help when i can.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 03:00 PM   #15
pzgren

Quote:
If a computer lab is usinging a just released 2.6.5/6 kernel and I hope for him the admin has the knowledge to compile a kernel for *his* machines self and not downloading and using for this lab from an untrusted place, which are only for a little stack problem, most its compiling with regparm and not 4kstack, with windows centrino drivers or only *one* nVidia binary driver.

If someone has this position he should doitself or from the supporter, or he has the false job choosen... sounds like wintendo admins.

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 03:01 PM   #16
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Good points. I would hope noone thinks you're an elitist prick just because you compile kernels from stock kernel tarballs... I fall into that category myself (there are 4 or 5 configured kernel trees on my system atm as well as multiple rpm kernels) and I'm nothing of the kind. It is just good to remember that although one can work around a package system.. and sometimes it is very helpful/efficient to do so... it is also by nature a breakage of the system and is best to avoid when possible -- especially for those new to linux.
Old 05-27-04, 03:08 PM   #17
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzgren
If someone has this position he should doitself or from the supporter, or he has the false job choosen... sounds like wintendo admins.
Unadulterated flamebait -- to which comment is not necessary
Old 05-27-04, 03:12 PM   #18
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Good points. I would hope noone thinks you're an elitist prick just because you compile kernels from stock kernel tarballs... I fall into that category myself (there are 4 or 5 configured kernel trees on my system atm as well as multiple rpm kernels) and I'm nothing of the kind. It is just good to remember that although one can work around a package system.. and sometimes it is very helpful/efficient to do so... it is also by nature a breakage of the system and is best to avoid when possible -- especially for those new to linux.

lol, i accidentally got this post mixed up with another one that's about the exact same subject... i got a little pissed off and said something i probably shouldn't have. oh well. if you're interested for some reason, here it is:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...4&page=4&pp=15

just get mad when people point fingers; especially at a company that has some of the best linux support available when it isn't their fault, lol.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 03:38 PM   #19
hlslaughter

Thumbs up Re: Fedora Core 2: Solution without compiling kernel

ok, this worked for me.

X now works mostly fine, THANKS

only problem i have is my usb mouse which worked fine is no longer working. but i'm going to slap the psaux converter on it and it should work.

i suppose the 2.6 kernel screwed up USB.

man i hate being an early adopter. should have probably stuck with FC1. put too much trust in the fedora crew. they're no better with releases than redhat was.
hlslaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 04:03 PM   #20
pzgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlslaughter
only problem i have is my usb mouse which worked fine is no longer working. but i'm going to slap the psaux converter on it and it should work.
i suppose the 2.6 kernel screwed up USB.
Not the linux kernel, you do it. http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/docs/po...loween-2.6.txt

USB devices in kernel 2.6
/etc/modprobe.conf
alias usb-controller ohci-hcd
alias usb-controller1 ehci-hcd

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlslaughter
man i hate being an early adopter. should have probably stuck with FC1. put too much trust in the fedora crew. they're no better with releases than redhat was.
the Fedora developer are the same as in RH before...

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-04, 04:04 PM   #21
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamel
just get mad when people point fingers; especially at a company that has some of the best linux support available when it isn't their fault, lol.
*nods*
Old 05-28-04, 07:09 PM   #22
snowman156

Thanks for the link cabrillo. It got my twinview working on my Geforce FX 5200 although it does prompt some error messages when I start trying to tweak the second desktop settings. But, I had these same issues w/ FC1 and I'm willing to deal.

Here's the error mesg I got:

"Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.

X server version data:
The X.Org Foundation

If you report this situation as a bug, please include:
- The result of xprop -root | grep XKB
- The result of gconftool-2 -R /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/xkb"

I'm not having any issues w/ the keyboard or mouse, any thoughts?

Last edited by snowman156; 05-31-04 at 09:27 AM.
snowman156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 11:31 AM   #23
DWL
David Legg

See http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...179#post332179
DWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 06:58 PM   #24
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman156
Here's the error mesg I got:

"Error activating XKB configuration.
Probably internal X server problem.
<snip>
I'm not having any issues w/ the keyboard or mouse, any thoughts?
Early xorg-x11 packages did not have this symlink which can cause that error.
cd /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xkb/rules
ln -s xorg.lst xfree86.lst

It could also be caused by having an incorrect reference to XFree86 in the X config for the keyboard map. Look for Option "XkbRules" "xfree86" and either remove it or change to read Option "XkbRules" "xorg".