Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-01-04, 05:20 PM   #37
toracat

Red face Re: Fedora Core 2: Solution without compiling kernel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caetzar
Hi,
Back to the Fedora Core 2/nvidia solution; in the case of recompiling where is the 4stacks option which I can change? I looked a few times in the .config file as well as in xconfig and couldn't see it. (If you can let me know of a good way to search for kernel options that might be useful for the future too!)
Fedora Core 2 comes with kernel 2.6.5 which does not give you the 4kstacks option (it is ON by default). You need to get 2.6.6 and the 4kstacks is in the "Kernel hacking" section.

toracat
toracat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 05:54 PM   #38
Caetzar

Default Re: Fedora Core 2: Solution without compiling kernel

Ah I see, thanks for that toracat!
Caetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 06:55 PM   #39
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabrilo
Different users, different needs. I compiled kernel several times and I know that it's not hard. In fact, I just recompiled kernel on my Slackware 9.1 machine. However, Fedora is running on my everyday-computer. Compiling a kernel would involve doing backups (I know that there is no real risk, but info is way too important), and possibly having the machine inoperable if there are glitches to be fixed - and as you know, there often are.

Cabrilo
well, what i always do when recompiling a kernel is make a seperate boot entry for it in grub, that way if for some reason it doesn't load when i restart, i can go into my old kernel. the only time this is dangerous is when you are modifying the modules... which is [one of many reasons] why i try to build as much as i can directly into the kernel.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 08:31 PM   #40
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Yeah, it is absolutely a smart idea to leave the previous (perhaps more than one) working kernel in place and undisturbed. But, there still exists data loss risk when using a different version of the kernel, even moreso when any changes have been made to the filesystem drivers or subarchitecture for your disks -- minimal but any data worth backing up at all.. is worth backing up for any risk level no matter how small (i.e. any time the data changes!).
Old 06-03-04, 07:00 AM   #41
Caetzar

Hi all, I figured out what the problem was after compiling a 2.6.6 kernel. FC2 had assigned sda3 to two different partitions and was getting confused on booting. The rpm worked perfectly once I sorted that out. Thanks for the help!
Caetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 11:47 PM   #42
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Update to my first post in the thread: It does appear that removing the 4g/4g split patch in the SRPM is the other issue that you need to build the Fedora devel kernels for yourself.
-- remove nostack patch
-- remove 4g/4g patch
-- change config options REGPARM and 4KSTACKS

Rebuild kernel from the modified specfile -- you can substitute in a custom config if you like. This is all that is done in the linuxant kernel and it works on 2.6.6-1.427 and probably keep working on Arjan's newer kernels.
Old 06-17-04, 03:02 AM   #43
SupGori11

Hi there !
As I was running Fedora Core 2 with the default and updated 4k stacks kernel, I decided to try this 8k stacks kernel rpm. At first I was quite doubtful cuz I didn't see the kernel 2.6.6-1.427 8k stacks source rpm on my system. So I yum installed kernel-source 2.6.6-1.427 and then I was ready to compile the Nvidia kernel module. Changed xorg.conf and restarted. No appearance of the Nvidia splash screen but I continued through the graphical boot. I then tested glxgears and 3d acceleration was ok !
Happy I was and installation of my favourite games followed. I play with them once and then for some reason I had to reboot the computer. In grub I choosed the 8k stacks and then suddenly games began to freeze (Frozen Throne ) 3d acc was away
I don't know what happened but it seems that there is something very unstable with this build
kernel
SupGori11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 06:50 PM   #44
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Reinstall the driver. Because the nVIDIA driver installs by replacing Mesa GL libraries it very often can get damaged.. often by updating part of the X system. The first step in getting it working again is to just reinstall it.

If you don't like that idea -- I don't.. its a very poor method -- then you should relocate the libraries and change the library loading order in /etc/ld.so.conf to load your lib directory. The Livna.org and the ATrpms driver rpms both do this and it works very well.