Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-26-04, 08:05 AM   #1
salute

Default Problems with Mozilla OpenGL Plugin

Hi,

I am developing an OpenGL Plugin for Mozilla (using GLX). Generally there are two possibilites to get an OpenGL Window in the WebBrowser:

1. Acquire GLX Context for Mozilla generated plugin window.
2. Swallowing of an X11 application.

I tried it with the first method. The OpenGL Scene shows up and works perfectly ... but when I switch to another page (Unload of plugin (shared library)) then libglcore.so.1 is not unloaded. Thus when attempting to visit the page again mozilla crashes.

What could be the problem with the plugin? Is it a driver problem? When using MesaGL everything works perfectly. Or could it be that there is an issue with the dynamic loading/unloading of the plugin?

I use Suse 9.0, NVIDIA Driver IA32 53.36.

If it can help further I can give you more information about my system and/or the source code of the plugin.

Any help is appreciated!
Giovanni Salute
salute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 08:50 AM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: Problems with Mozilla OpenGL Plugin

interesting idea. i am no developer myself, but with the symptoms you described, it sounds like mozilla is choking when trying to unload the so... what i am *guessing* is happening is when mozilla tries to unload the module, either the so is malfunctioning or the mozilla plugin window is. and what i'm guessing is causing the crash is trying to load a second instance of the same thing. it's inefficiant to do this, but i would try making it stay in the memory and not load once it goes to the website... just for trouble shooting of course.

also try different versions (if possible). afaik the plugin support is the same between moz/firefox/galeon. i would try all 3 and see if the results are the same.

good luck, that's about all i can say... sorry if i wasn't helpful; again, i'm no developer
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 09:01 AM   #3
salute

> it sounds like mozilla is choking when trying to unload the so.

I'm just wondering why it works with software OpenGL drivers ...

> and what i'm guessing is causing the crash is trying to load a second
> instance of the same thing. it's inefficiant to do this, but i would try
> making it stay in the memory and not load once it goes to the
> website...

This actually works. As long as one site with the plugin is opened it
works. But when unloading the plugin ... it fails.

Thanks anyway for the hints.

Giovanni Salute
Old 05-26-04, 10:15 AM   #4
salute

OK ... now I could make the plugin stable.

The solution was not to use glu commands:

I replaced gluPerspective with glFrustum. So all OpenGL libs including
libglcore.so.1 (NVIDIA) unload correctly. My question now is whether this
is a Mozilla Problem or a NVIDIA Problem ... As I mentioned before there was no problem when using MesaGL. Who should I contact for further proceeding?

Giovanni Salute
Old 05-26-04, 10:40 AM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

heh, sorry. i guess i misunderstood the problem.

as far as who to contact, i'm really not sure -- however, if you have irc, you may be able to find help in #nvidia on irc.freenode.net

good luck.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 12:39 PM   #6
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

Blender (http://www.blender.org) had a plugin like this that worked fine with Mozilla (at least a few years ago when I played with it).

Not sure if it is opensource, but it may be and it might save you some work.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 04:11 PM   #7
salute

I had the same problems with the Blender plugin.

The code has not been updated since 2001 ... but there seems to be a problem with the shared libs. Next step is to try it with an ATI card. I suppose when it will work with the software driver (MesaGL) and also with another graphic card (ATI) then the probability is even higher that there is a problem with NVIDIA. Probably the shared libs are not unloaded in the correct order. But I think I have no influence how the libs are unloaded.

Any further comments are aprreciated!
Giovanni Salute
Old 05-27-04, 03:41 PM   #8
pzgren

Is it no possible to try it with the OGL Java Bindings?

https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-04, 02:22 PM   #9
salute

I have already already an sdk in C++ ... so switching to java is not really an option.