Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-04, 05:11 PM   #1
dami0n

Question geforce FX Hardware MPEG-2 Decoder

Hi,
I finally upgraded my viideo card to a FX5200, and was wondering more details about the "Integrated Full Hardware MPEG-2 Decoder".
Does this require special software/drivers to enable it to work ?
Or does it just always kick in when there's a mpeg-2 stream directed to the overlay?

I'm running the 5336 Linux drivers straight to the SVIDEO out, and haven't really noticed any performance increase.
dami0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 06:47 PM   #2
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default Re: geforce FX Hardware MPEG-2 Decoder

not sure, i seriously could never tell in windows if the card was doing the rendering or if it was the computer; so i really don't think it makes too much difference; though i could be wrong.

on the other hand, if i were guessing, the drivers will be all you need for this feature should the feature be supported in the release of the drivers you have installed. the driver gets to the video before it's put on your screen even in 2d mode, so i'm sure your drivers are "aware" of the movie overlay. that's only a guess, don't listen to me, lol.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-04, 09:40 PM   #3
MontoyaSG

it's to reduce the cpu load when decoding MPEG2 streams
MPEG2 streams are processed on the GPU rather than the cpu thus lighter cpu load on older systems
MontoyaSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 08:04 AM   #4
dami0n

Oh, it would seem I misposted this.
maybe i'll try again over in the video card forum.
dami0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-04, 04:11 PM   #5
Thunderbird

The geforce4mx and geforcefx contain mpeg2 decoding support (the support in the geforce4ti is less advanced). On linux the mpeg2 decoding isn't automaticly used. To use the mpeg2 decoding capabilities your mediaplayer needs to take advantage of it using the "XvMC" extension. Recent versions of xine and mplayer have an xvmc renderer, so when you use that cpu usage can drop a lot. (Note you need to enable xvmc)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote