Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-04, 09:05 AM   #85
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecel
Thanks jimmor, using your information I have successfully changed my fx5200 speed. Can you tell me where to look for gpu voltage and memory latency tables in fx5200 / fx5200 ultra bios? (I have both of them). Many thanks in advance.
It was only Because I own a 5900 card and could identify and test volts/speeds/latencies that allowed me to come up with a procedure that could be applied to all 59xx bios's ! My procedure was subsequently proven by modifying and testing very many 59xx bios's for successful use by other people.

The reason I posted my Guide to bios modding at the first post of thread was not only to allow people to mod their own bios's, but also to enable anybody to develop their own strategies for bios modding other cards ? And therefore I'm glad you found some usefull read accross to your card's bios !

However, my experiences of investigating and translating bios data have forced me to believe that the chances of success are enhanced considerably if you actually own, and have in front of you, the hardware involved ! And so I don't generally get involved with modifications for any cards/bios's I don't own !!!
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 11:54 AM   #86
cstring
makefile
 
cstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 115
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

jimmor,
was reading through the volt mod and am going for that next.
In the process I was thinking, what causes the card to throttle.
I am sure its set by temperature.
Is there some place in that mess of hex numbers it could be adjusted?
Also fast writes and sideband addressing, hex adjusting?
This is for that crappy bfg.
Its system is

Custom power supply I built 450w
MSI 6380LE mainboard
3x buffalo 128mb pc2100
AMD thunderbird 1.4 (not oc'ed)
cheesy compusa generic heatsink/fan
80gb western dig hd
lite-on cdrw
1.44 floppy
2 cheesy case fans
cheesy case
Its a cheesy system, well deserving of the cheesy bfg card. lol

As for the leadtek I probably wont touch it.
I am EXTREMELY satisfied with it.
Gonna play around with stock bios on bfg, if I cant
get decent oc from it, I'll try the ultra bios you recommended
but for now gonna see what I can do with stock bios.

BTW how did the hose work for you?
I like the sheer black :-)
cstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 12:25 PM   #87
pecel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmor
However, my experiences of investigating and translating bios data have forced me to believe that the chances of success are enhanced considerably if you actually own, and have in front of you, the hardware involved ! And so I don't generally get involved with modifications for any cards/bios's I don't own !!!
I understand, thanks anyway, you've been very helpful. I've downloaded fx59xx bios and was trying to follow your guide, so I knew the voltage table and mem latency table are located after clock speed table. Naturally, being different type, I couldn't find match patterns for my fx5200. Perhaps you would be so kind to describe the process of finding them in the case of 59xx bios?

Normally I wouldn't bother messing with vga bios, but I have intermittent flicker problem with my fx5200 ultra, that I wrote in this thread. It could be low quality components, or improper bios setting by the manufacturer. So I'm trying to solve it, in case it's the later.

Thank you again.
pecel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 02:13 PM   #88
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstring
jimmor,
was reading through the volt mod and am going for that next.
In the process I was thinking, what causes the card to throttle.
I am sure its set by temperature.
Is there some place in that mess of hex numbers it could be adjusted?
Also fast writes and sideband addressing, hex adjusting?
This is for that crappy bfg.
Its system is

Custom power supply I built 450w
MSI 6380LE mainboard
3x buffalo 128mb pc2100
AMD thunderbird 1.4 (not oc'ed)
cheesy compusa generic heatsink/fan
80gb western dig hd
lite-on cdrw
1.44 floppy
2 cheesy case fans
cheesy case
Its a cheesy system, well deserving of the cheesy bfg card. lol

As for the leadtek I probably wont touch it.
I am EXTREMELY satisfied with it.
Gonna play around with stock bios on bfg, if I cant
get decent oc from it, I'll try the ultra bios you recommended
but for now gonna see what I can do with stock bios.

BTW how did the hose work for you?
I like the sheer black :-)
Although I believe temperature is a the main ingredient for triggering the throttling function, I think it is more complex than just a temp threshold ? It is more likely to be at least a combination of both, temps, and a designed in set of conditions measuring the GPU's/Memory's ability to process data for given speeds of operation; a power throughput level if you like ?? A safety condition set either by Nvidia or the designers of the cards. And if so, then throttling can happen even when temps appear to be reasonable, simply because the bios/driver deems it not safe for the GPU/Memory to process at the level being asked while running at whatever speeds and/or temps prevail at the time ?

However I think it not unreasonable to assume that although throttling being a safety function could occur on all cards at any time, it is likely to happen less often at reduced speeds and/or when temps are kept down ! So, if throttling occurs, then just either reduce, GPU and/or Memory speed, or, temps, and it will stop triggering ? But also remember to reboot, to reset the throttling function !

And, barring info being available direct from the designers of the card, only experience over time will support or refute this belief ?

Apart from the above, your only other recourse with throttling is to set it same as 3D, so that if triggered it wont change GPU speed ! However most important you also set throttling GPU volts to be same as 3D GPU volts !!! Otherwise GPU speed may drop back just because not enough volts to sustain required speed ?

EDIT:

haven't purchased my hose yet !
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.

Last edited by jimmor; 06-07-04 at 02:34 PM.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 02:33 PM   #89
cstring
makefile
 
cstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 115
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

doh!
I hate it when they string out 1 setting into 3 or several.
Makes it work. lol

I'll try setting gpu throttling and 3d volts to same.
maybe that will do the trick.

What , you havent bought yer hose yet?
Think legs dude go grab a pair of Leggs (with the woman still attached)
watch out for the backhand though. lol
cstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 02:40 PM   #90
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecel
I understand, thanks anyway, you've been very helpful. I've downloaded fx59xx bios and was trying to follow your guide, so I knew the voltage table and mem latency table are located after clock speed table. Naturally, being different type, I couldn't find match patterns for my fx5200. Perhaps you would be so kind to describe the process of finding them in the case of 59xx bios?

Normally I wouldn't bother messing with vga bios, but I have intermittent flicker problem with my fx5200 ultra, that I wrote in this thread. It could be low quality components, or improper bios setting by the manufacturer. So I'm trying to solve it, in case it's the later.

Thank you again.
maybe too simple a question, but have you tried flashing your 5200u card with the 5200u bios of another manufacturer ?? Remember a lot of current 59xx card owners are getting better and more stable performance from just flashing with other equiv card manufacturers bios's ! It appears that some manufacturers tweak bios's better than others ???
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 03:59 PM   #91
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecel
I understand, thanks anyway, you've been very helpful. I've downloaded fx59xx bios and was trying to follow your guide, so I knew the voltage table and mem latency table are located after clock speed table. Naturally, being different type, I couldn't find match patterns for my fx5200. Perhaps you would be so kind to describe the process of finding them in the case of 59xx bios?

Normally I wouldn't bother messing with vga bios, but I have intermittent flicker problem with my fx5200 ultra, that I wrote in this thread. It could be low quality components, or improper bios setting by the manufacturer. So I'm trying to solve it, in case it's the later.

Thank you again.
you can only find the voltage table when you know what volts you are looking for, by first measuring it on a card !

From my 5900 card I knew I was looking for 2D volts of 1.2, throttling volts of 1.3 and 3D volts of 1.4 ! Then it was just a matter of looking for a table with these volts, obviously allowing for volts being binary number ! If, for arguments sake, we assume your cards GPU volts in 2D is 1.3v and 3D is 1.4v then you are looking for a table which shows stepping options like in my guide with options, and 82 (for 1.3v), and 8C (for 1.4v), where these are just the hex representation of volts, as I show in the guide ! But that is the easy part, as finding important data in a bios is not usually that straightforward. Finding a lot of it is actually based on hunches determined by relationships to other known data locations ! If it was easy, then everybody would be modding every bios that ever existed !

so if you are not confident with finding and changing the right data, or accepting the consequencies of changing the wrong data, then I would leave it alone, and wait for someone else to eventually find the info you want ???

Obviously if we lived in an ideal world, then the easiest way to get the info would be to get your hands on the original bios software data that Nvidia gives to the OEM's. But thats unlikely to ever happen unless someone from Nvidia is personally known ??

and your flickering problem is an interesting one, and from what you listed in the post, you seem to have changed or checked just about everything possible ?? You don't however indicate if you checked anything monitor related ???

After every driver install, did you set OS refresh rates for given resolutions using something like RefreshForce, which is best program for winXP. All refresh rates must be within spec of monitor, regardless if running desktop or game !!

did you also always install your monitor with manufacturers own driver AND NOT either of the OS "default" or "plug and play" drivers ?

You did try with Vsync ON, but that only works as long as OS set refresh rates are meaningful to monitor ?

also, did you ever try another monitor, just in case, because of some fault condition, certain specific circumstancies simply cause its display to flicker ??
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 04:06 PM   #92
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstring
doh!
I hate it when they string out 1 setting into 3 or several.
Makes it work. lol

I'll try setting gpu throttling and 3d volts to same.
maybe that will do the trick.

What , you havent bought yer hose yet?
Think legs dude go grab a pair of Leggs (with the woman still attached)
watch out for the backhand though. lol
Although I'll obviously watch out for the backhand, I am certainly hoping to obtain the required hose from a leggy woman !!
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-04, 05:12 PM   #93
cstring
makefile
 
cstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 115
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Although I'll obviously watch out for the backhand, I am certainly hoping to obtain the required hose from a leggy woman !!
Thats the ticket !

Oh yeah, almost forgot.
I found 03 78 01 82 02 8C 03 as the voltage, I guess, musta been cause
I changed it to 03 78 01 82 03 8C 03 and its working fine but I had to set clock 390/425/425/810 and its rock solid.
I dont mind if I cook the bfg card, I'd like not too as I can experiment with it, but if it happens, its not catastrophic to me
cstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 06:18 PM   #94
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstring
Thats the ticket !

Oh yeah, almost forgot.
I found 03 78 01 82 02 8C 03 as the voltage, I guess, musta been cause
I changed it to 03 78 01 82 03 8C 03 and its working fine but I had to set clock 390/425/425/810 and its rock solid.
I dont mind if I cook the bfg card, I'd like not too as I can experiment with it, but if it happens, its not catastrophic to me
with 425/810 as your main speeds it shouldn't cook, fry or die ! It will just keep you warm on winter nights ?

and for the volts table its always best to simply remember, whatever you do to the 3D parameters you must also do to those for throttling function !! So new volts table should as you say read, 03 78 01 8C 03 8C 03, which is GPU at 1.4v for 3D and throttling !

now that it is rock solid -----> I assume you have stopped swearing ???
__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 08:14 PM   #95
cstring
makefile
 
cstring's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 115
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

lol. yup I quit swearing.
Yes, the voltage table is correct.
its stable , finally.
But I'm disappointed that bfg are really chaintech cards.
Thats not very cool from a company that advertises "we're just like you"
I just thought more of bfg I guess, but its just like finding out , santa claus isnt real. lol (I'm gonna get prodded for saying that lol)
Anyways bfg should give you a cut of what I paid!
In my opinion bfg should've stayed away from the xt model.
In my eyes its hurt more then helped them.
I will be looking more toward leadtek from nowon.
Thanks a load for your help!
cstring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 10:26 PM   #96
pecel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6
Default Re: Basic FX59xxx bios changes

Quote:
you can only find the voltage table when you know what volts you are looking for, by first measuring it on a card !

From my 5900 card I knew I was looking for 2D volts of 1.2, throttling volts of 1.3 and 3D volts of 1.4 ! Then it was just a matter of looking for a table with these volts, obviously allowing for volts being binary number ! If, for arguments sake, we assume your cards GPU volts in 2D is 1.3v and 3D is 1.4v then you are looking for a table which shows stepping options like in my guide with options, and 82 (for 1.3v), and 8C (for 1.4v), where these are just the hex representation of volts, as I show in the guide ! But that is the easy part, as finding important data in a bios is not usually that straightforward. Finding a lot of it is actually based on hunches determined by relationships to other known data locations ! If it was easy, then everybody would be modding every bios that ever existed !
I get it now. Thanks.


Quote:
so if you are not confident with finding and changing the right data, or accepting the consequencies of changing the wrong data, then I would leave it alone, and wait for someone else to eventually find the info you want ???
You're right, I have no confidence at all in doing it. Seems I have to leave it alone for the time being. A sound advice jimmor, I appreciate it.


Quote:
and your flickering problem is an interesting one, and from what you listed in the post, you seem to have changed or checked just about everything possible ?? You don't however indicate if you checked anything monitor related ???
Yes, I did everything I can think of, including using other monitors that I know for sure are good ones, and using three other cards as well.

Well, since then I've put the fx5200u in my son's computer, and with his untrained eyes, he does not notice the flicker in his games. Besides, I already purchased a second hand MSI Ti4200 on the cheap (50 bucks), and with 10-30% speed improvement over the 5200 ultra, I couldn't be more happier

Sorry for being off topic, and again, thanks a lot jimmor!
pecel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asus Bios bug nforceuser NVIDIA Linux 3 10-06-02 04:15 AM
new bios my motherboard and got new feature IDE PCI BUS MASTERING what is it ??? b5fan CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 12 09-22-02 05:10 PM
BIOS doesn't recognize more than 32 MB(old P1 machines) Klaus-P CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 3 09-09-02 03:33 PM
bios flashing Gunslinger68 CPUs, Motherboards And Memory 7 09-08-02 12:20 PM
PC Games, CeleronII 566, CeleronA 300, BIOS Savior, Heatsinks, NES & Sega Items +pics TekViper For Sale/Trade 5 08-07-02 10:48 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.