Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-27-04, 11:29 AM   #1
pgrimes

Default nvidia driver install redhat 9, 2.4

Hi... big time linux newb here.

I'm trying install the nvidia driver (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run) so I can get out of 800x600

I'm just trying to follow the instructions on nvidia/in the readme file. My problem is with logging out of x-server (is this the same as x-windows?) I'm comfortable enough with the command line to run the installer (sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run) but... I have no idea how to exit x-server (as seems to be required to install the driver). I've read that I need to simply "log-off" or hit Ctrl+Alt+BkSp... when I do this, I am brought back to the redhat login prompt and, when I login, I'm brought back to the gui. How can I start up in a terminal window? Is it possible that the redhat version I have (9.0 w/ 2.4 kernel) or the install options I chose will not allow me to be in a "terminal login"?

Please help!

Thanks,

Paul

Last edited by pgrimes; 05-27-04 at 12:41 PM.
pgrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-04, 12:37 PM   #2
pgrimes

Default Re: nvidia driver install redhat 9, 2.4 exit x-server?

Ok... I've made some progress (I think).

I found this post:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29161

I exited xserver using Ctrl+Alt+F1 changed too "user root" (su) then, installed the nvidia driver package mentioned above. I also edited the XF86Config file. I restarted and the driver seems to have been installed (I see an Nvidia logo during startup which, I didn't see before) but, I'm still limited to 800x600 as my max screen res.

The post I read said to remove 'Load "dri" ' so, I commented it out. It also said to change 'Driver "nv" ' to 'Driver "nvidia" '... my config file had "Driver "vesa" ' so... I commented that out and typed in 'Driver "nvidia" '. Here is what my XF86Config looks like (in the video driver section):

Section "Device"

# Driver "vesa"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "Videocard vendor"
BoardName "VESA driver (generic)"
VideoRam 32768
EndSection

Do I need to change the "BoardName" and "VendorName values? "Identifier"? Do I need to change any values in the "Screen" section? Or anywhere else? The "Screen" section still says "Modes '800x600" "640x480" '.

Thanks for any feedback...

Paul
Old 05-28-04, 12:42 AM   #3
pgrimes

Ok... after 40+ views and no replies, combined with a lot of searching on the web for a solution, I'm beginning to think that there is a compatibility issue with redhat 9 and my video card.

Should I go with a different distribution? I have mandrake, slackware (I've heard that's for more experienced users) and fedora. Any recommendations? Think I'll have a better time with a different dist.? I'll be using the system for C development (school) and I'll probably dabble around with a webserver... basically, I'm just trying to branch out from the microsoft world.

Feedback would be great.
Old 05-28-04, 12:55 AM   #4
harman

You have configured your system to boot up in init 5.

In order to boot to init 3 ( command line only )

Edit your /etc/inittab and change the following line :

id:5:initdefault:

to

id:3:initdefault:

and reboot or send HUP to init.

Once you have installed the nvidia drivers you can change the 3 back to 5 or leave it as it is and log in as user and type in startx to start up X.

Hope this helps. Btw.. you might wanna look into Fedora.

Harman

Sorry didnt read your second post...

To change the resolution to 800x600, edit the following in your XF86Config..

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "800x600" <--- -Change this to the desired reso
EndSubSection
EndSection

This is not sorta complete answer but will point you to the right direction.

HTH
Harman
harman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 01:08 AM   #5
pgrimes

Quote:
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
Modes "800x600" <--- -Change this to the desired reso
EndSubSection
EndSection
Thanks for the reply, I've changed that to multiple resolutions, sometimes it'll crash when I startx, other times it will load up ok but, the res remains at 800x600 even though in the Display panel (system settings) it says 1024x768 or whatever I had set it too.

Any other ideas?

thanks.
Old 05-28-04, 02:58 AM   #6
hppnq

Please post your XF86Config and the X log (probably in /var/log).
hppnq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-04, 03:30 AM   #7
pgrimes

Thanks... I've attached the files
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (3.3 KB, 300 views)
File Type: txt XFree86.0.log.txt (28.6 KB, 174 views)
Old 05-28-04, 03:53 AM   #8
hppnq

First, comment out the dri module in your XF86Config, so that the line

Load "dri"

reads

# Load "dri"

Then, restart your X server if necessary (using CTRL-ALT-BCKSP for instance). The Nvidia driver doesn't play nicely with DRI, so you have to get rid of that.

Your modeline problem is that the X server cannot find any valid modelines other than 800x600 and lower. I suppose your monitor is good enough to support at least 1024x768, so it is only a matter of finding the right modeline.

The easiest is to start X (in 800x600 mode) and then configure your display using the GUI tool. You can do this by selecting it from your menu (I don't remember where, but it should be under Preferences or System tools, I think, or try right clicking somewhere on your desktop) or by running the command "redhat-config-xfree86" from a terminal.

You should be able to adjust your display settings now.

After you have done that, check whether your XF86Config still uses the "nvidia" driver, and not "nv" or something else, and change it back if necessary.

Everything should be fine then. Keep a copy of your XF86Config somewhere if everything is okay. ;-)

Old 05-28-04, 04:35 AM   #9
pgrimes

Thanks for your help... I'm still having the same issue though. I have commented out the load dri line. In the Display gui, it still shows the correct driver info (nvidia, etc.) But, I've attempted to set the screen res to every available option, logging out each time and starting x again... each time it goes back to 800x600.

I have also tried manually changing the modeline, entering various screen res.' but, that has no effect either.

I'm working on a Toshiba Satellite M35-S359, I have XP pro on another partition and the video drivers are working fine there.
Old 05-28-04, 04:50 AM   #10
hppnq

Okay, here is someone with your laptop and a working XF86Config: http://nieder.host.sk/m35/XF86Config-4.

It looks like he adjusted the hsync and vsync settings a bit. Check the site
(http://nieder.host.sk/m35/tosh.html) first before you try this XF86Config. I guess this should get you going though.

There are some more sites where you can find information about running Linux on this laptop, just google "M35-S359".
Old 05-28-04, 03:44 PM   #11
pgrimes

Great! The card seems to have been accepted! (I fell asleep last night and when I woke up, the res was at 1280x960)

Being the noob I am though, I seem to have created somewhat of a catastrophe. Everythingś working fine on my user account but, I can´t startx with the root account. When I try to, it starts to load, then shuts down... mentioning a few errors.

Is there anyway to enforce the settings from my user account onto the root account?

Iḿ not particularly concerned about it at the moment since I´ve found that most things I need to be logged in as root for, I can do from the command line.

-Paul
Old 05-28-04, 04:48 PM   #12
hppnq

I don't know what exactly is the problem. Please post the error messages, so we can have a look.

(You hit the nail on the head though -- it is not a good idea to run X as root. Just su when you need root privileges.)