Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-04, 02:32 AM   #1
moyix

Default Freeze when trying to switch to console

Hullo, I'm a (mostly) happy owner of an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with 128 M of RAM. However, I've noticed the following problem: after starting X, if I try to switch to a VT (Ctrl-Alt-F1), I will get a hard lockup with a blank screen. Sometimes I can successfully switch once or twice, but after a couple tries, it always eventually locks up.

Video card: GeForce FX 5200
Driver version: 1.0.5336-9 (the -9 is the debian revision level)
Distribution: Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid)
Kernel version: prepackaged Debian kernel, version 2.6.5-1-686-smp
Video BIOS Revision: 04.34.20.18.00
Processor: Pentium IV 2.8Ghz w/Hyperthreading
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000, Intel 864PE chipset
XF86Config: attached

Any ideas of things to try? Is this a known problem?
Attached Files
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (4.4 KB, 107 views)
moyix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 03:18 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Freeze when trying to switch to console

Remove the loading of GLcore and dri modules from your XF86Config.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 03:21 AM   #3
russofris

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyix
Hullo, I'm a (mostly) happy owner of an NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 with 128 M of RAM. However, I've noticed the following problem: after starting X, if I try to switch to a VT (Ctrl-Alt-F1), I will get a hard lockup with a blank screen. Sometimes I can successfully switch once or twice, but after a couple tries, it always eventually locks up.

Any ideas of things to try? Is this a known problem?
Usually, this occurs when a video device is connected to the S-video output of the graphics adapter. Disconnecting the s-video cable, or disabling the device in the XF86conf usually does the trick. I have seen reports that updated firmware can resolve the problem as well.

If you don't have a device connected to the card and disabling the vidoe-out doesn't work, then you may have an unrelated problem.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 04:33 PM   #4
moyix

Tried commenting out the "GLcore" and "dri" extensions, no effect. When I tried disabling TV out (by adding Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"), X froze on startup--but not quite as badly as before; I could ssh in from another computer. I found that the X process was hung in state D (uninterruptible sleep, usually waiting for input), and no amount of kill -9 could rectify that. I was, however, able to change the config back and reboot ok.

So now it seems I should update my video BIOS. I've never done that before--does it need to be done from within Windows? Where could I find the update or utility to flash it?

Thanks,
Brendan
Old 05-29-04, 05:45 PM   #5
pzgren

Turn off the debian kernel framebuffer. And do not forget why there is standing:

Debian GNU/Linux unstable

Marcus
pzgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 06:32 PM   #6
moyix

So I should add vga=normal to LILO?
Old 05-29-04, 11:45 PM   #7
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyix
So I should add vga=normal to LILO?
yes... i have framebuffer on, and it takes about 4 seconds to switch from the regular console to X. turning it off makes it nearly instant, so turning it off would likely help.

i would make 2 entries in lilo, one with framebuffer and one without. or, you can always do vga=ask
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 04:03 AM   #8
moyix

Passing vga=normal to the kernel seems to make everything work quite nicely. Thanks all! :)

Old 06-01-04, 04:55 PM   #9
balk

Adding
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"
to /etc/X11/XF86Config also worked for me
balk is offline   Reply With Quote