Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-04, 04:38 PM   #1
Alpha2

Default Best Driver for GeForce 420 go?

Hi, I'm hoping someone on this forum might know.

I have a Toshiba Sattelite 2415-S206 with the Nvida GeForce 420 go (16mb) Graphics controller, and I was wondering whats currently the best driver I can use to get the best result with games? I currently have version 4.5.9.1.

I've been playing City of Heroes and I see all these screen shots of nice shiney outfits but yet everything is so flat on my screen. I get shadows and reflections on glass but the clothing effects are nowhere to be found (I've adjusted all the setting I can in the game with no effect) and all and I feel almost certain my machine can pull off stuff like this because I've actually SEEN it do better.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.
Alpha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 05:10 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Best Driver for GeForce 420 go?

You're probably not getting them because 1) your graphics adapter only has 16 mb of video memory (most modern games require 32) and/or 2) your adapter is nothing more than a glorified GeForce2, which doesn't support any of the programmable shader functions that likely are used to render the game at the highest detail settings.

Also, can a mod move this to the correct forum?
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 05:50 PM   #3
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

*yoink*
Old 05-29-04, 06:18 PM   #4
Alpha2

Sorry for posting in the wrong section. It seemed like a suitable subject for the software forum.

Anyway, I did wonder if the 16mb was part of it but as I said the game runs so well as it stand now that missing that one effect seems like a ridiculously minor an effect to not have. Plus before soming here I'd searched for about an hour trying to figure out what the latest driver for it was and I kept getting the impression that there were different versions with varying degrees of effectivness.

I would still like to know if there are newer drivers than what I'm using though as it never seems as if any one source stays on top of the ones i need.
Old 05-29-04, 06:43 PM   #5
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha2
I would still like to know if there are newer drivers than what I'm using though as it never seems as if any one source stays on top of the ones i need.
For laptop support, you need to download drivers from your laptop manufacturer. NVIDIA does not provide direct support for laptops. But you can force-install any reference driver on a laptop. Do a search on this forum for posts made by me and GeForce4 440 Go - you should come up with something. I'd do it myself, but I'm drinking and can't be bothered to look.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 11:45 AM   #6
Alpha2

hehehe, Far be it from me to be a buzz kill. Thanks for the help!