Old 10-17-02, 03:50 AM   #1
linuxnewbier

Default its true its true

i am a windows user right now but i have that feeling that
it is time to start using LINUX

my pc is celeron 633 mhz
384 sd ram
geforce 2 mx/mx400
CREATIVE SOUND BLASTER 16 (yes the oldest in history but i love it)
MERCURY CDROM
LG 8X6X32 CD REWRITER

so is it compitable and how can i install linux ?
treat me like i dont know anything abt linux and i promise u guys i will understand everything fast
Old 10-17-02, 06:11 AM   #2
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer

that system sounds like it will make a nice Linux box, get yourself a copy of RedHat and you should be all set
Old 10-17-02, 07:57 AM   #3
Fluke

I recommend Mandrake. Redhat is over-rated. With Mandrake and your system, after an installation you will be virtually totally configured, with Redhat you wont, you will have to tinker with things.

Why you would want to go with Linux anyhow is beyond me, personally with that rig of yours I'd install Windows 98. At least you will have more software to choose from. To each his own, I guess.
Fluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 08:02 AM   #4
i2host

While Mandrake is good, it can be a bit sluggish on older systems. I recomend Suse Linux. It is easy to configure and doesn't come with all of the overhead that Mandrake does.
i2host is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-02, 08:08 AM   #5
Fluke

Overhead? You can manually select packages in pretty much any Linux distro... Suse I know to be good though...forgot that distro...
Old 10-17-02, 08:29 AM   #6
i2host

What I meant by overhead is that Mandrake incorporates a lot of additional "eye candy" and "user-friendly" features.

There was a great article about this in the September issue of CPU Magazine.
Old 10-17-02, 08:46 AM   #7
Fluke

with Linux, I think the more user friendly, the more success you will have using it. No? The biggest problem with Linux is the fact it is not user friendly in the first place. But Mandrake is one of the top rated choices for Linux from what I have been told. But then Suse is also good. Redhat is more commerically advertised compared to the others.
Old 10-17-02, 09:34 AM   #8
volt

-MOVED TO OPERATING SYSTEMS-
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-02, 09:42 AM   #9
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by Fluke
with Linux, I think the more user friendly, the more success you will have using it. No? The biggest problem with Linux is the fact it is not user friendly in the first place. But Mandrake is one of the top rated choices for Linux from what I have been told. But then Suse is also good. Redhat is more commerically advertised compared to the others.
You can't say that about todays distros.
It's VERY simple point-n-click action. The only thing that is tricky is partitioning, but if you use a dedicated linux drive it's a piece of cake.
Linux has changed A LOT since last year. Not only things are simpler than before, but more convenient and flexible. I remember when I first installed Mandrake, it was a total nightmare (that was about 2-3 years ago). I kept reinstalling until I got it right. I have never fooked up my windows partition by the way! . I was watching TechTV last night, and the Apache co-founder was being interviewed. Basically he said that open-source has improved a lot in the past few years, and I have to agree with him.
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 10-17-02, 09:45 AM   #10
i2host

When it comes down to it, it all depends on which distro you like the best. Everyone has their own opinion and as far as I'm concerned each person's opinion is just as valid.
Old 10-17-02, 09:48 AM   #11
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by i2host
When it comes down to it, it all depends on which distro you like the best. Everyone has their own opinion and as far as I'm concerned each person's opinion is just as valid.
You should not choose a distro based on likes and dislikes. That doesn't work, it will only create more problems. You have to ask your self what are you going to run on linux system, and how are going to use it, then choose your distribution. I my self have a Linux desktop (Redhat 8.0) and a Linux server (Slackware 8.1). I never do two the same things on both machines.

Old 10-17-02, 10:40 AM   #12
linuxnewbier

now i am tottaly lost hey guys i told u i am a real newbie so i need fixed answers but now i think it is getting complicated

red hat
or mandrake
or else