Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 06:46 PM   #1
PCarr78

Default Doom3: Who Cares? v1.5

Doom3 will suck... blah blah blah... Engine first, game last... yap yap yap.... id=3rd rate dev... yadda yadda yadda... Doom3 will suck and I don't give a damn about it.

Well, that's what i pretty much remember from the v1.0 post.

Comments?

I actually agree with what the original poster said.
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 06:49 PM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

hehe, just had to start it up again, eh?

I think D3 is great step in the right direction!
We need devs to put out games for the enthusiats that bring out the best of our hardware, not just make games for the lowest common denominator (like GF2MXs).
It will sell a ton, and other publishers will push for games to push the limits, it's great for everyone!
Old 07-28-02, 07:01 PM   #3
PCarr78

Did you see the leaked E3 video?

The gameplay SUCKS! Run and Gun, just like Wolfenstein or the original DOOM.

Sure, the graphics are impressive, but they also went overboard with shadows.

I mean, you could run the game on an 8mb video card because 90% of the scene is pitch-black. No need for complex textures if all you see is BLACK.
Old 07-28-02, 07:24 PM   #4
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

I saw it, the level developers went overboard with their new toy (realtime shadows), just like they did with colored lighting when it first came out. The engine can only support one light source at a time (plus ambient light level) which doesn't help either. I think it could still be good though, it may play a lot like half life.
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 07:36 PM   #5
PCarr78

HL had pretty average gameplay, what saved it was amazing AI and Excellent level design.

Nice scripted sequences too
Old 07-28-02, 08:28 PM   #6
gravioli

Regardless of how the gameplay is, I will probably buy it anyway just to see it in action on my computer .
Old 07-28-02, 08:51 PM   #7
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

yeah, the gameplay was weak, I was mainly commenting on the engine...
And yeah, they also overdid it on the shadowing as well, but at least people are trying to make games for the enthusiast rather than trying to make something for everyone (which NEVER works).
Old 07-28-02, 09:29 PM   #8
SavagePaladin
info*****

the last ID product I enjoyed was doom 2. So....we'll wait and see.
I doubt they can pull their asses in and do some good single player content, and neither am I a huge fan of horror games.
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-02, 09:43 PM   #9
nin_fragile14
Fat Tuna

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
Did you see the leaked E3 video?

I mean, you could run the game on an 8mb video card because 90% of the scene is pitch-black. No need for complex textures if all you see is BLACK.
You can interpret all of this from a ripped video running at low resolution with more pixelation than software mode? I'm very impressed.

And you also automatically infer the gameplay sucks based on 1 minute jarring clips they showed? I agree that the gameplay didn't look spectacular, but to immediately infer that it SUCKS is pretty hasty, considering the source of information.
Old 07-28-02, 09:59 PM   #10
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
hehe, just had to start it up again, eh?

I think D3 is great step in the right direction!
We need devs to put out games for the enthusiats that bring out the best of our hardware, not just make games for the lowest common denominator (like GF2MXs).
It will sell a ton, and other publishers will push for games to push the limits, it's great for everyone!
but the doom 3 engine is targetting the geforce 1 as the lowest common denominator and the gf2mx and gf256ddr have roughly the same performance.
Old 07-28-02, 10:04 PM   #11
netviper13
Treehugger

Yes, but with the Doom3 Engine the 2MX will be the lowest type design it was designed to work with, rather than the highest.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 10:09 PM   #12
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by netviper13
Yes, but with the Doom3 Engine the 2MX will be the lowest type design it was designed to work with, rather than the highest.
nothing in the past year has been programmed for the gf2mx as the highest. the gf2mx chokes on any new game at 1024X768X32. my friend's system is so choppy playing WC3 at those settings it is hilarious.