Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-02-04, 03:50 AM   #1
angelic
GeForce4 Ti 4200

Default Want to understand: 64-bit Linux + OpenGL games

I'm going to leave aside my frustration at lack of FC2-compatible nVidia drivers for a moment and ask a different question.

I have an AMD64 motherboard and nVidia graphics card. Until now I have been running with FC1 in 32-bit mode and have been able to play all my favourite Linux-compatible OpenGL games (Quake1/2/3, UT/2k3, RTCW, NWN etc.) without any problems.

I'm thinking of moving to a 64-bit kernel when I finally upgrade to FC2.
Is this going to stop me from playing my 32-bit games? I know e.g. UT2k4 is available in 64-bit but obviously the others are not, and I guess they are not likely to become available as they are older releases now. My understanding is that you can't mix 32/64-bit libraries though, so presumably this means these apps will not be able to run?

As you can probably tell, my understanding is incomplete so I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. Any experiences running AMD64+nVidia+Linux?

Thanks.
angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 04:35 AM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: Want to understand: 64-bit Linux + OpenGL games

You are correct... 32 bit opengl games don't work on a (i)AMD64 o/s. At this stage. It is the only reason I'm holding back too. Enemy Territory sometimes goes okay for me, even though it is 32.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 05:16 AM   #3
angelic
GeForce4 Ti 4200

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
You are correct... 32 bit opengl games don't work on a (i)AMD64 o/s. At this stage. It is the only reason I'm holding back too. Enemy Territory sometimes goes okay for me, even though it is 32.
Thanks, and interesting... two points:

"At this stage" - if it technically isn't feasible, surely this is going to prevent it from ever working.
"ET sometimes goes OK" - how can this be?!
angelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 05:34 AM   #4
ogetbilo

I would just create another partition on my harddrive, and install the 64bit linux there.

Is it only the kernel that is different from 32bit packages? If so, you can load a 64bit kernel on the same partition and give it a try.
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 06:37 AM   #5
blueworm
[DEADAGAIN]blueworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogetbilo
I would just create another partition on my harddrive, and install the 64bit linux there.

Is it only the kernel that is different from 32bit packages? If so, you can load a 64bit kernel on the same partition and give it a try.
No that is incorrect, it is not only the kernel but all the binaries and libs also.
In other word pretty much everything.
You can make several other partitions to install 64bit on. The ones you can share are /boot, swap /home it really all depends on what you use a partition for.
So far the comercial games that run ok in 64bit using 32bit emulation are.
quake2, quake3, RTCW, EnemyTerrtory but take note that there is a large performance hit and a quality hit also. It is not really worth it. Dual booting is more advisable.
Games that run natively in 64bit are ut2004 which you allready mentioned, but quake2 will build. There is a small performance hit since it is not optimized for 64bit code. But the maps load instatly where as in normal 32bit they do take a while...
Registered linux user #271604 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org/
lianLi PC60, OCZ powerStream 520W PSU, Asus P5N-E SLI, Core 2 duo E6550, 2Gb GEIL, XFX 8800GT, TB SantaCruz
blueworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 09:15 PM   #6
tamran

A lot of games can be "fiddled" to work under an amd64 kernel in 32bit emmulation. I've got Quake1,2 and 3 all working (actually, quake1 and quake2 compile amd64 native). I don't know this for a fact, as I've turned off x86 support in the kernel, but I'd assume all or most quake3 based games would work by tweaking the settings. No GL mode though ... yet .

Regards,

Tamran
tamran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-04, 10:52 PM   #7
whig
550Ti

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelic
Thanks, and interesting... two points:

"At this stage" - if it technically isn't feasible, surely this is going to prevent it from ever working.
"ET sometimes goes OK" - how can this be?!
I'm just hoping for 32 compatibility, I don't know if it is possible. IIRC it was to be attempted.

ET sometimes went just fine. Other times the colours were screwed up with lots of black. What causes it to happen either way I don't know.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote