Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-04, 04:48 PM   #25
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Default Re: Coolbits 2

I had the same problem with the 6x.xx forceware when using the ASUS bios on my card. Have you tried using RivaTuner to overclock?

I also notice that sometimes when I check "Apply at startup" the check boxes wont be checked next time I open the nV control panel. Not very serious because my card is already o/c by a bios mod, but I'm looking forward to this being fixed in the driver.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe Western Digital Caviar SE TB RAID 0/1 PowerLink LPK2-30 400W LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVDR/RW/ROM MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Last edited by rewt; 06-09-04 at 05:12 PM.
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 08:33 PM   #26
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Could be that you are using an ASUS Bios on an Asylum card! I've never had any problem overclocking my ASUS V9980 Ultra, but then again, I never have messed with the Bios on a GPU. I understand 5900 owners can get the 5950 settings doing so, but still. Another thing I've noticed on these forums is the talk about uninstalling drivers before installing new ones...why? NVidia drivers flat say that you don't have and I for one never have. That way, if you want to go back to a different set, just do it. Don't have to mess with reinstalling fresh. I did try that Driver Cleaner thing and I wasn't impressed. It's just as easy to uninstall and seems to me better, to do it in safe mode under Remove Programs in the Control Panel. This method seems to wipe everything clean. Matter of fact, after doing that is the first time I've seen Windows offer to install it as an ASUS with 56.55 drivers! Just a rant. If all else fails, after a format, just use the latest drivers from nvidia's site and add coolbits to it for overclocking. Doing so in Bios is tricky as well and not always the best way.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 02:53 AM   #27
Oranje

Hi;

Thanks for awnsering.

Yes I try it with coolbits and also wqith RT.

The driver itselfs is ok but in the minute i use one of these OC-tools the Clock-tab is present and i can chance clock but then evrything slowe terribly down.

Groetje,s Oranje
Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 07:09 PM   #28
Aranell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oranje
Hi REWT;

Iv,e had a Asus 5900nu retail where you can,t chance clock,s between 2 en 3D.
And eversince i want to update my driver to a 60 version i cannot overlock anymore.

Maby you have some suggestion?

Groetje,s Oranje
Hi,

I've already postet this problem in some other threats, but nobody really seems to have an explanation for it. For me it looks as if the card suddenly goes into temp-throttling mode after overclocking - the problem is: the card isn't getting any hotter than with 56.72!
Another interesting point is that you have to reistall the driver after overclocking - just switching back to the normal speeds doesn't work!

It seems as if there are no 60ies Forceware where a ASUS V9950 can be overl****ed with!

Aranell
Aranell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:50 AM   #29
russofris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aranell
Hi,

I've already postet this problem in some other threats, but nobody really seems to have an explanation for it. For me it looks as if the card suddenly goes into temp-throttling mode after overclocking - the problem is: the card isn't getting any hotter than with 56.72!
Another interesting point is that you have to reistall the driver after overclocking - just switching back to the normal speeds doesn't work!

It seems as if there are no 60ies Forceware where a ASUS V9950 can be overl****ed with!

Aranell
I has a different result with my PNY FX5600. I could OC, but when I pushed it to far to run morrowind (typical texture corruption fro OC'd ram), I couldn't back it down. Lowering the speed og the OC and selecting the option not to overclock didn't set the speed back (even after trying an "OK/test then reboot". I removed the coolbits and everything went back to normal.

Strange, but it seems that different vendors implement certain things differently (in hardware and gfx firmware), so that the reference tools don't always work as expected.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 05:37 AM   #30
PsychoSy

Send a message via ICQ to PsychoSy Send a message via AIM to PsychoSy
Talking Re: Coolbits 2

I just tried the Auto Detect overclock on my 5700 Ultra with the 61.11 drivers. The results are ...

Core = 538 Mhz
RAM = 1.03 Ghz

Gee, I wonder if it would be safe?

Haven't the guts to apply it!
Old 06-11-04, 06:16 AM   #31
radeonsux

Hi and thnx for he cool reg hack.
I have the Leadtek a380 ultra [fx5950] and last night i was trying to benchmark my card with different driver versions ie leadtek ones vs nvidia forcewares but was quickly dissapointed from leadtek ones because aside from lower perf compared to nvidias 56.72 leadteks o/c overclock utility had strange behavior so i run coolbits [v1] . Man the thing scared the hell out of me : i let autoverclock and using dual view i run 3dmark 03 on display one and riva tuner monitor on display 2 : Hold ur breath - sit back and read: Running 3d mark the card autooverclocked from 475 core TO 576 MHZ ON STOCK AIR !!! Memory was left unchanged from 950 - i couldnt believe it when the first game started - i was also scared to death since i never o/c my grafix cards but thinkin on buying the 6800u pretty soon i decided to let it run - temps went as high as 71c and no damn artifacts nothing! BUT: autodetect feature detected 481 for core and 956 for ram - why that difference - also [and it may sound like flaming] but autooverclock speeded the core to 576 in 3dmark03 and to 518 in c&C generals! The card never sported arifacts - temp higher than 75 and ANY mem clock INCREASE something i thought more propable in oc since its using hynix 2 ns which manualy has already been tested to 1.1 g - anyway. So which is more safe to trust ? autodetect which sometimes detects lower than default speeds OR autooverclock??? My god 576mhz speeed up in 1 sec was too much for me - but it works!
Also if i set for 2d a core clock of 75mhz [the minimum] do u think it would cause any problem i mean up and down so many mhz does it damage the core? any input on minimums [while on 2d of course!]
and last but not least if i set for mem the minimum in 2d this also applies for 3d mode - it doesnt throttle to the different speeds i set -wtf any info on this?? how does this autoverclock decide max clocks ? and how can it make make also ram clock increase?
many many tnx

a scared to death
radeonsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 07:51 AM   #32
kahloq

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoSy
I just tried the Auto Detect overclock on my 5700 Ultra with the 61.11 drivers. The results are ...

Core = 538 Mhz
RAM = 1.03 Ghz

Gee, I wonder if it would be safe?

Haven't the guts to apply it!
You can try it just fine. Doesnt mean you'll keep it that way. I ran mine at 511/980 for a few hours and everything seemed fine, BUT, it did lock up. But Im thinking it may have been a driver issue, cuz I set it back to normal and let it run for a few hours after a reboot and it still locked up.

If you run 3dmark 03 you will know if the settings are two high cuz it will start to give noticeable slowdowns or other anomolies.

AS a note, on 3dmark03 vs 330, I got 4057(on 53.03 drivers). Using vs 340, it dropped too 2876(still using 53.03)

O/C'd the card to the autodetect settings of 511/980 and got 3302 on vs 340
OCZ pc3500 performance 2 gig memory
OCZ 520 watt PSU
Asus p4c800deluxe-e motherboard
2 x 80g Sata HD's / 1 x 60g IDE / 1 x 40 g IDE
1 x DVD / 1 x lite on cdrw
7 case fans plus vantec dual fan pci card
BFG 6800 Ultra OC 456/1.28 Stock air
3.2P4(no OC)3dmark03 score :13570
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195131
3.2 p4 @3.472 217FSB 6800u@ 425/1.28 3Dmark03: 13738
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=3195221
WIFES PC: 3.2P4/BFG 6800GT/1 gig pc 3200
kahloq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-04, 01:35 PM   #33
mrgoodcheese

You'd be best off forgetting about the autodetect OC, it's too unpredictable to be called reliable. If you want to OC, use the manual option.

You should look around and see what others with your card, or 5950s in general are OCing to, then go for the average. IMO, from my experiences, I'd say a decent OC for your card, while remaining safe for longtime use, would be about 500-525 core / 975-1000 memory. Of course it will also depend the temperatures of the room your computer is in.
mrgoodcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 02:11 PM   #34
Shaitan

I run my 5950 at core 510/memory 1000 always when I game now. But I wanna get that Gainward watercooled 6800 Ultra for my next card. wOOt
WD VelociRaptors X 2 in RAID 0
BFG 295 GTX Rev. B
Enermax Galaxy 850 psu
CoolIT Systems Freezone
Samsung 2233rz
Shaitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 09:53 PM   #35
vläd
Who? Me?

Are there any issues having the orig CoolBits in the registry before adding CoolBits 2?
Optical: Pioneer DVD+/-RW, LiteOn CDRW ● Lian Li 6077 Aluminum Case
vläd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 11:50 PM   #36
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonsux
Hi and thnx for he cool reg hack.
I have the Leadtek a380 ultra [fx5950] and last night i was trying to benchmark my card with different driver versions ie leadtek ones vs nvidia forcewares but was quickly dissapointed from leadtek ones because aside from lower perf compared to nvidias 56.72 leadteks o/c overclock utility had strange behavior so i run coolbits [v1] . Man the thing scared the hell out of me : i let autoverclock and using dual view i run 3dmark 03 on display one and riva tuner monitor on display 2 : Hold ur breath - sit back and read: Running 3d mark the card autooverclocked from 475 core TO 576 MHZ ON STOCK AIR !!! Memory was left unchanged from 950 - i couldnt believe it when the first game started - i was also scared to death since i never o/c my grafix cards but thinkin on buying the 6800u pretty soon i decided to let it run - temps went as high as 71c and no damn artifacts nothing! BUT: autodetect feature detected 481 for core and 956 for ram - why that difference - also [and it may sound like flaming] but autooverclock speeded the core to 576 in 3dmark03 and to 518 in c&C generals! The card never sported arifacts - temp higher than 75 and ANY mem clock INCREASE something i thought more propable in oc since its using hynix 2 ns which manualy has already been tested to 1.1 g - anyway. So which is more safe to trust ? autodetect which sometimes detects lower than default speeds OR autooverclock??? My god 576mhz speeed up in 1 sec was too much for me - but it works!
Also if i set for 2d a core clock of 75mhz [the minimum] do u think it would cause any problem i mean up and down so many mhz does it damage the core? any input on minimums [while on 2d of course!]
and last but not least if i set for mem the minimum in 2d this also applies for 3d mode - it doesnt throttle to the different speeds i set -wtf any info on this?? how does this autoverclock decide max clocks ? and how can it make make also ram clock increase?
many many tnx

a scared to death
You're welcome!

The auto overclock feature does just what it says, auto o/c I've used it successfully on my 5900 before, but sometimes games would lock up. So it's still not a highly reliable method of overclocking, IMO. Especially with a flashed card.

The core is not damaged in any way when switching between frequency levels. *note: each frequency level must have sufficient voltage or too much heat and/or artifacting will occur!

The memory speeds on a 5950u are constant in 2D/3D. Once it's overclocked, it will stay at that level even after you leave any 3D application.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe Western Digital Caviar SE TB RAID 0/1 PowerLink LPK2-30 400W LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVDR/RW/ROM MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote