Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-30-04, 08:45 PM   #97
kali2004

Default Re: Coolbits 2

don`t like this version..I`ll stick with the overclock and agp reg strings...........from the old version,I like the gaming....settings too much.I`ve run all the old version coolbitz..upto 62.50 and they all work............wot you talking about?
kali2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 10:26 PM   #98
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNT™
My memory clock frequency doesn't always stay at the oc'd speed after rebooting, but sometimes it does. I dunno.
Yup your right.. i just looked again and it didnt stay Sometimes it does though.. this sucks, I really like the whole coolbits small app thing... kinda like radclocker
Old 07-30-04, 10:28 PM   #99
OWA

Are you doing the trick where you set your overclock setting, apply, set the 2d setting apply and then I go back and set the 3d setting one more time.

If you don't do that, it gets reset after a few reboots if things haven't changed with the 6x.xx series of drivers. I haven't tried *not* using the trick in a while so I'm not sure. There's an explanation for why you have to set the 2d also but I can't remember what it is at the moment.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-04, 10:30 PM   #100
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Ok I just tried that.. hopefully it works I am using the 61.77's ATM.
Old 07-31-04, 07:09 PM   #101
Gar
I like cats.

I installed coolbits, added the 1 to enable profiles, but now I lost my OGL tab??? Is there a way to uninstall Coolbits if I care to stop using it?
Old 07-31-04, 10:36 PM   #102
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

To completely uninstall Coolbits 2 you will need to uninstall/update your graphics driver. The reason being, is some of the values are in default global registry keys. Deleting them could potential cause some issues, such as missing control panel or driver functions.

FYI, I have tested Coolbits 2 from Detonator 44.03 to Forceware 62.20 (on Geforce 4+) and all seems well.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ˝TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-04, 11:27 PM   #103
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gar
I installed coolbits, added the 1 to enable profiles, but now I lost my OGL tab??? Is there a way to uninstall Coolbits if I care to stop using it?
Just manually update your driver with the same driver thru Hardware. Running the setup.exe will probably work also.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-04, 10:37 PM   #104
mrgoodcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWA
Are you doing the trick where you set your overclock setting, apply, set the 2d setting apply and then I go back and set the 3d setting one more time.

If you don't do that, it gets reset after a few reboots if things haven't changed with the 6x.xx series of drivers. I haven't tried *not* using the trick in a while so I'm not sure. There's an explanation for why you have to set the 2d also but I can't remember what it is at the moment.

I've been doing that trick for a while now and my OC always stays after reboot. The only time it reverts back to stock is when I install new drivers, then I have to do the 3D/2D/3D trick again.
mrgoodcheese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-04, 08:08 AM   #105
SoylentGreen

Smile FYI: Rewt

I had a problem wiith Coolbits2. After installing I tried to run Call of Duty, but it would not load. After beating on it for a while I modified the registry entries to exclude the following three entires:

"NvCplTvLocaleAutoDetect"=dword:00000001
"NvCplAllowForceTVDetection"=dword:00000001
"NvCplExposeWin2kDualView"=dword:00000001

This fixed the problem. I have not tried to isolate the problem beyond this point so I don't know if one, all three, or some combination of the three is the problem. I don't plan on using a TV or Win2K so this is as far as I plan on going with this.

PentiumIII 733
Win98SE
PNY FX5700Ultra
61.76 drivers
2X AGP
M/B Chipset: VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
PC133 SDRAM

Thank You Very Much for sharing your knowledge
SG

Last edited by SoylentGreen; 08-02-04 at 08:22 AM. Reason: khkhkh
SoylentGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-04, 07:30 PM   #106
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Those are all default registry keys in Windows 2000 (and higher) Forceware drivers. It seems they may not be supported in Win 98 drivers. Good work in solving the problem, and thanks for the info.
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ˝TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-04, 08:38 AM   #107
Trevelyan

Default Re: Coolbits 2 works with new nVidia driver 61.77

Quote:
Originally Posted by tr7man
Good news. Coolbits 2 works with the newest nVidia driver 61.77 where as the original Coolbits does not. Awesome app.

I'm using this driver version on my PNY 6800 GT. I didn't know about Coolbits2 at the time, so I tried to overclock with Coolbits yesterday. I read instructions on another website about increasing the clock speeds by 5 mhz incrementaly until it's unstable, then scale it back a bit. I tried this for a bit, and the only way I knew to test, was the option to "test changes" that came in the coolbits overclocking tab, at the bottom. Eventually I became curious of the "Detect Optimal Frequencies" tab right next to the test changes tab. I decided to check that out in Performance 3D setting, and after a minute it came back with 438mhz and 1.17, as opposed to the stock 350mhz and 1.0.

This blew me away since it's higher than the 6800 ultra speeds by a good amount. So, I'm very very excited to start playing some games (I was getting Doom 3 in a couple hours!), so I booted up UT2k4 (which ran extremely well on stock settings). Then all my joy went up in smoke....

It loads UT2k4 and before it gets to the menu of joining mulitplayer or single player games, the video/monitor just goes white. It looks like it doesn't want to render anything 3D anymore. I still hear the sound from the game, and if I move my mouse over the icons on the menu, I can hear them beep, so the game isn't frozen. Same thing happened with my far cry demo. I then tried the demos that nvidia gives you with the card and they worked (?). I also tried the game Tribes 2 and it worked. I decided to get rid of overclocking and deleting the coolbits registry key, just to at least be able to play those games again. Same thing continued to happen. I then reinstalled the video card drivers (61.77 again), and same thing with those two games.

A little later I received my copy of Doom 3 and decided to install it even after this dissappointment, and low and behold, it worked fine and ran great, although it could be tweaked some, and I definitely still want to overclock the card. Other games still didn't work. i was hoping it screwed with the Direct X settings, but Doom 3 installed Direct x, and it didn't help or effect anything.

Basically, the next thing I'm going to try is to just reinstall the games that don't work and see if that fixes it, cause like I said, the card is back to stock speeds, but those games don't want to cooperate with the video card still.

If this fixes the problem, what do you guys reccomend? Use coolbits2? Don't use the detect optimal frequencies?

Thanks for any help!!
Trevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-04, 07:27 AM   #108
Trevelyan

Ok, I figured out how to fix the "whiting out" when trying to get in games. It seems that Direct3D was effected by by attempt at overclocking because there were some errors coming back. I got driver cleaner 3.2 (I think), and uninstalled everything nvidia in add/remove programs. Then I read the "readme" in the driver cleaner files and went through the process. I guess this reset everything and now I'm fine.

So I still have a question. Since OC'ing didn't work exactly right for me the first time... should I use Coolbits2? Also, should I not use detect optimal frequencies in the manual tab? Would I be safe just setting the frequencies to Ultra speeds?

Thanks again!
Trevelyan is offline   Reply With Quote