Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-06-04, 04:57 PM   #1
sebmil

Default Xv not working anymore after viewing many videos

Hello,

I would like to submit a problem i've found no info on, and which has been showing for several driver versions. When viewing videos, my player (Xine) uses Xv extensions, which works great most of the time.

The problem appears after having viewed many videos (like 80-90 videos, no matter the video length). When viewing those 80-90 videos, everything works great, but when i quit the player and launch another video, the Xv window does not show any video, only a large dark blue rectangle covering all the video area.

When this happens, i can't view any video anymore, using any player. There are only two solutions :
- use something other that Xv to display the video, but the result is slow or crappy or not working
- shutdown the Xfree, unload the nvidia module then start Xfree again (if i shutdown and launch Xfree again without unloading the nvidia module, the problem is still here)

The problem appears in fullscreen or windowed video playing.

It happens only when :
- launching a new video : quitting the player and launching it with another video
- switching desktop : if the video is playing or paused on one desktop, switching to another and coming back on the video one can make the problem happen (video turn all dark blue)

It never happened while viewing a video, staying on the same virtual desktop.

My config :

Celeron 1300Mhz, 512MB SDRAM on an Asustek TUSL2-C motherboard
Leadtek GeForce 4 Ti 4200 VIVO (BIOS version 04.25.00.30.00)
Slackware Linux with 2.4.24 kernel
NVIDIA driver version 5336 (problem was already present in version 4496)

If it is of some interest, my box has an uptime of 18 days and i encountered this problem two times in this period.
sebmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 05:13 AM   #2
sebmil

Default Re: Xv not working anymore after viewing many videos

No idea ?
Old 05-15-04, 06:01 AM   #3
SuLinUX

Have you updated Wine because it is used to play certain video formats and can stuff your videos.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 06:27 AM   #4
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Have you updated Wine because it is used to play certain video formats and can stuff your videos.
Huh? wine? What are you talking about? xine does not use wine to play any movies. (And neither does mplayer, vlc and so on...)

@sebmil
I've had this problem myself now and then, and I don't know what's causing it, I guess it's a bug in the nvidia drivers. A restart of X solves the problem.
Old 05-15-04, 06:31 AM   #5
Evil Penguin

Well, I believe both _can_ use win32 dlls, and when doing that I believe they use something wineish...
However, neither use this for any of the most common video formats, and I doubt they invoke wine... probably use some wine derived code or some library...
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-04, 07:02 AM   #6
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by connyosis
Huh? wine? What are you talking about? xine does not use wine to play any movies. (And neither does mplayer, vlc and so on...)

@sebmil
I've had this problem myself now and then, and I don't know what's causing it, I guess it's a bug in the nvidia drivers. A restart of X solves the problem.
I resently came acrosss this problem, updating Wine coursed Xine and Kaffine to not play any movies, just sound, how do you think QT and WMF play?, yes they are dll and the package of Win32 codecs.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
Old 05-15-04, 07:03 AM   #7
connyosis
Eggplant

@Evil Penguin
Hmm, well the win32 codecs aren't really win32codecs anymore. They're hacked so they will not work in windows anymore. (According to mplayers homepage that is)
I doubt any wine code is used, but then again I'm no expert. My point though is that upgrading wine will have no effect at all on sebmils problem since as you say neither mplayer or xine invoke wine when using the win32codecs
Old 05-15-04, 07:06 AM   #8
connyosis
Eggplant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
I resently came acrosss this problem, updating Wine coursed Xine and Kaffine to not play any movies, just sound, how do you think QT and WMF play?, yes they are dll and the package of Win32 codecs.
Well then something is seriously weird with your system. updating wine has never caused any effect on other programs for me or any of my friends using it. And yes, xine uses win32 codecs but they're not usable in windows, hence even if xine used wine (Which it doesn't), wine would not be able to use the codecs.

Old 05-15-04, 07:10 AM   #9
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by connyosis
@Evil Penguin
Hmm, well the win32 codecs aren't really win32codecs anymore. They're hacked so they will not work in windows anymore. (According to mplayers homepage that is)
I doubt any wine code is used, but then again I'm no expert. My point though is that upgrading wine will have no effect at all on sebmils problem since as you say neither mplayer or xine invoke wine when using the win32codecs
This same problem happened only last night to me, the only thing I updated is Wine(just to see if I could play one game proper) and the problem started. I had to reinstall the original Wine and restart X to solve it.

connyosis

Coincidence indeed, I think it's down to.
Old 05-15-04, 07:22 AM   #10
connyosis
Eggplant

@SuLinUX
I suppose it could be something SuSE specific that happened to you, in my experience binary distributions like RedHat and Mandrake can be a nightmare when trying to update a certain app.
Old 05-16-04, 10:44 PM   #11
sebmil

Thanks to all who have answered.

My thoughts also go to some bug in the driver like some ressource leaking, and when this ressource lacks the video doesn't play anymore.
I rebooted my box a week ago and the problem is not showing for the moment, having played about 30 videos.

About win32 codecs : i don't use them, all my videos are played by the ffmpeg codec (mostly xvid). And i wonder how a codec problem could hurt the system so bad to ned reloading the nvidia module.

Are there any nVidia staff member watching/answering in these forums ?
If it's a driver bug, maybe i could help digging it the next time it shows.
I did not try reproducing it manually, but i think it's possible since it always happens after a number of use.
Old 05-17-04, 02:41 AM   #12
Evil Penguin

If you want to try to reproduce it (if it really has to do with how many times the Xv extension is initialized) I guess a loop like "while true ; do mplayer -vo xv -frames 1 file.avi ; done" might be a convenient way to do it...
Evil Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote