Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-31-04, 01:29 AM   #1
Nuclear

Question how to make nvidia driver work on Red Hat 9 updated kernel (2.4.20-31)

As it´s written on the title. I have no problem installing nvidia on RH9 custom kernel (2.4.20-8), I know why, the kernel sources for this versions are installed. But once I upgrade it to 2.4.20-31, using RH official rpm, it stops working(if it was installed before upgrading kernel) or doesn´t install (of course, i don´t have the sources...).
Either I find a way to obtain the sources for 2.4.20-31 kernel or I find a working rpm to install the nvidia driver.
I tried the one from ATrpms.net, could install it without problems, even load the module with modprobe, but couldn´t make XF86 find it.
I tried putting the whole .o driver path, create a simbolic link in modules.conf, but nothing... I´m quite a newbie, so I must also have done something wrong...
Any help would be apreciated. Staying with .20-8 is not a valid option...
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 02:01 AM   #2
Dragoran

Default Re: how to make nvidia driver work on Red Hat 9 updated kernel (2.4.20-31)

you must reinstall the driver after updating the kernel
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-04, 04:43 AM   #3
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Unhappy Re: how to make nvidia driver work on Red Hat 9 updated kernel (2.4.20-31)

You have to have the kernel sources to install the driver, or you must use the precompiled kernel module from an RPM.

The kernel source:
ftp://updates.redhat.com/9/en/os/i38...-31.9.i386.rpm

Links to the kernel in case you don't actually have that specific kernel can be found here, where I got that one:

http://www.threatfocus.com/alert_det...rt_id=20040637

I'm not sure what you mean by XF86 couldn't find the driver when you installed with the RPM from ATrpms... if the kernel module could load.. I suspect you didn't install all the packages. You need more than one:
The main package: http://download.atrpms.net/productio...h9.at.i386.rpm
The libs package: http://download.atrpms.net/productio...h9.at.i386.rpm

And a kernel module package (assuming you're using an i686 kernel) http://download.atrpms.net/productio...h9.at.i686.rpm

Install all three and you *should* be set. Just modify the config to use 'nvidia' rather than 'nv'. Make sure you have matching nvidia driver version numbers (for these that is 5336) and you have the right kernel version selected.. there is a separate package for each kernel build type, bigmem, smp, etc). All the nvidia-graphics RPMs are on this page: http://atrpms.net/dist/rh9/nvidia-graphics/

(been along time since I installed ATrpm nvidia-graphics into RH9, this could be slightly inaccurate) :\
Old 05-31-04, 09:25 AM   #4
Nuclear

Lightbulb Re: how to make nvidia driver work on Red Hat 9 updated kernel (2.4.20-31)

So there is a source. I´m gonna try it even thought my kernel is i686, but after trying the steps with the atrpms. Thanks for your help.
Old 05-31-04, 02:35 PM   #5
Nuclear

Default Re: how to make nvidia driver work on Red Hat 9 updated kernel (2.4.20-31)

Nope, I can´t make the atrpm to work . Installed all three packages, installing the main package after the 2 others. Still said there was dependency on some nvidia-help package. I installed it anyway with nodeps option. Modprobe loads it okay, but XF86 can´t initialize it (it says it can´t find it, yes i edited the XF86Config, put "nvidia" on right place).
I believe all is installed but I don´t know how to setup it.
Gonna download the kernel source, will there be any problem since my kernel is 686 and the source is 386?
Old 05-31-04, 07:07 PM   #6
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The kernel-source package *should* be i386 for you, that is expected (the i686 kernel is built from that source).

Please post the logfile of X attempting to start.. after it 'says it can't find it'. It is difficult to make suggestions without some clear information to work with (no offense intended.. I realize it is hard to describe these things.. that is why we have logs). Attach /var/log/XFree86.0.log to a forum post using the 'manage attachments' button.
Old 06-04-04, 06:50 PM   #7
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

The nvidia-graphics-helpers package can be found here: http://atrpms.net/dist/common/nvidia-graphics-helpers/

Sorry I missed that before, perhaps if you have had no success you can try the RPMs method again.