Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-19-02, 02:53 PM   #13
bwkaz

The CONFIG_AGP_AMD and family were just selecting which chipset families the agpgart module would support.

MTRRs are Memory Type Range Registers. They're registers on the processor, and they control caching policy and how memory is accessed (uncached, write-through, write-back, or write-combining). If your kernel doesn't have support for them (presumably because your kernel was configured without them for portability), the only thing you might see is slightly reduced performance.

That alias was probably incorrect -- it should probably have been alias /dev/nvidia* NVdriver, with the asterisk after the /dev/nvidia rather than before. It was so that if you use devfs/devfsd to manage your /dev files, the module would load correctly when it was needed, when some application tried to open any file in /dev whose name started with nvidia -- not on boot. The other alias line (alias char-major-195 NVdriver[/b] also isn't so that the driver loads on boot, it's so that the driver loads the first time it's needed (the first time a program sends a request to the nVidia device files -- if you don't use devfs, then the files are always there and this kind of handling works well).

agpgart is only loaded when either a program makes a request to /dev/agpgart (if you aren't using devfs), or when a program tries to open /dev/agpgart (if you are). If you have the NvAgp option set to 2, then the X driver should make its AGP requests to the /dev/agpgart file, and after the first one, the module will be loaded. Just out of curiosity, is there an agpgart.o file in the /lib/modules/<whatever kernel version you're currently running>/kernel/drivers/char/agp directory?

That original line was for NVdriver. Like I said above, it's not being loaded at startup, but it is being loaded whenever it's needed.

For the next question, again, you don't load anything by just putting an alias in modules.conf. That just tells the kernel (basically) when it's needed so that the kernel will load it. When you modprobe stuff, you're explicitly telling the kernel "I want this loaded now".

X is working then, right, using the "nvidia" driver? Or not? Does glxgears give decent frame rates now? (~1000-2000 fps is decent)
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-02, 09:43 PM   #14
chrono86

wow thanks for clearing the modules.conf file up for me, i was really confused about that. Alright i guess i got it, i am using DevFS so that is probably why all those special settings are there. I can't check if agpgart.o is in that folder you were saying, but it probably is. As far as i know agpgart works. I tried loading X without AGP, but still nothing worked except i got the same blue flashes and a whole bunch of characters and a hard freeze, haha. I'm guessing the problem is not completely AGP related, i think some of it is my kernel and system setup too (damn mandrake 9). ALthough i am still curious why AGPGART or NvAGP couldn't verify AGP usage, it doesn't make sense. I mean my comptuer recognizes my card as an AGP card when i do a "cat /proc/pci" hmm. There is one interesting thing i noticed though, and this information my be why X isn't working with the nvidia driver. When i do a "modprobe NVdriver" (also it "taints" my kernel whatever that is) so that it makes status entries in the /proc filesystem, when i check the /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status file it says that AGP is disabled or not currently functioning (those aren't the exact words but a good approximation). What exactly does that mean? and if i do enable it will the nvidia driver for X finally verify AGP usage? Also my other question is, Is MTRR based on how my kernel was compiled or is it a part of my motherboards capabilities? Like if my "system" can't support chaning MTRRs is that a limitaion of my motherboard or my kernel configuration? that is all for now, thanks.
-rian

ps. REPEAT X IS NOT WORKING WITH THE NVIDIA DRIVER YET REPEAT, hehe.
chrono86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-02, 10:41 PM   #15
bwkaz

Oh, OK. X isn't working then. Right.

The message that says the kernel will be "tainted" should direct you to a web page that explains what that means.

I do know that the "agp disabled" message and the "could not verify AGP" message are related, but I don't know what causes each one, or if one causes the other, or what. It's not that the chipset's unsupported; your Via isn't all that new. Maybe a search through X's source... Hang on a minute... nope, nothing. Must be a message from the nvidia driver instead? I don't know what would cause that though -- no source.

Yeah, if you get one to work the other should as well. I just don't know how to do that...

The MTRR stuff is processor- and kernel-specific only. It really doesn't have anything to do with your motherboard. It's probably set up to be disabled because of Mandrake's policy of compiling for Pentium Classics. Those chips didn't have MTRRs, so Mandrake's default kernels won't have support for them either.

You might be able to grab a kernel off www.kernel.org and see if it works better. Maybe... it's a sort of long shot.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 04:20 PM   #16
chrono86

yeah thanks bwkaz, i might just do a LFS, or try recompiling a kernel (although this job seems a little scary since i'm terribly new to Linux). ACTUALLY i think i'll have a try with DEBIAN hehe. i'm sure i can accomplish something. Thanks for all your help, i really appreciated it.
-rian

Last edited by chrono86; 10-21-02 at 04:27 PM.
chrono86 is offline   Reply With Quote