Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-04, 02:01 PM   #1
The_Mercenary

Default Driver screwing up tty's 1-6

I have a severe problem using the Display driver 5336 with SuSE Linux 9.0.

The installer works fine and X runs without any problems with hardware accelleration etc.
But as soon as I load X, or sax2 using the nvidia module, the nvidia driver seems to srew up the textmode tty's so that i can only use X.

Using the default driver nv, detected at installation, is no help because it results in not displayable resolutions. I only see flickering as if the refresh rates are not displayable by the monitor. The only way to start X AND leaving the other tty's displayable is to use framebuffer graphics or BIOS graphics.

My configuration is as follows:

Asus A7N8X deluxe 2.0
512MB RAM
GEForce FX5700Ultra 128MB
SuSE9.0
Kernel 2.4.21-144 k_athlon

I additionally attached a picture of tty1 the way it looks after starting X

I hope there's a simple way to fix this
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0131.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	6221  
The_Mercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 08:02 PM   #2
jerickson314

Default Re: Driver screwing up tty's 1-6

Try removing the "vga=" option in your GRUB configuration (an easy way is with the YaST Boot Loader Configuration module). This will disable the framebuffer support for the consoles. Your consoles will be in 640x480 and with no graphical bootsplash, but they should work. I had the same problem with both a GeForce4 MX440 Card (I forget the hardware manufacturer) and with a GeForce FX 5200 card from Asus (but oddly enough not with a GeForce FX 5200 from AOpen). With the Asus FX 5200 the screen looked the same as yours does.
jerickson314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-04, 09:04 PM   #3
quadfour

I've always had this problem since changing mainboard and CPU. With a Leadtek Ti4200 and Leadtek FX5700 using various drivers, its all the same for me. The res changes to something like 120x80 (dpi) and I can see the username prompt, machine name etc but thats it. Ill grab a photo and put it here.
quadfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 05:08 AM   #4
The_Mercenary

Thanks a lot jerickson.
It helped me out of this mess and it was quite easy although I miss my 1024x768 console
(lot of space for text) since when it goes to configure my system eg. Samba, FTP or something, I don't like X, I prefer the good old console

But I think I can live with it
thanks
Old 06-06-04, 09:35 PM   #5
CrLf
Linux Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Mercenary
Thanks a lot jerickson.
It helped me out of this mess and it was quite easy although I miss my 1024x768 console
(lot of space for text) since when it goes to configure my system eg. Samba, FTP or something, I don't like X, I prefer the good old console

But I think I can live with it
thanks
You may not have to get rid of the framebuffer console. In Mandrake 10 I found that only the video mode that comes default (the one with the faded out logo on the console) caused problems. Adding vga=0x303 to grub.conf got my friend a 800x600@8bit console and no problems, maybe you could try vga=0x313 which, if I'm not mistaken, is 1024x768@8bit (just check the vesafb.txt file in the kernel's documentation dir).
Old 06-07-04, 11:25 PM   #6
erwos

It's probably best to simply disable the frame-buffer stuff entirely. Having two different drivers trying to control the same card doesn't lead to good results.

If you do a lot of console stuff, just open an xterm like everyone else.

-Erwos
erwos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 04:43 AM   #7
The_Mercenary

I gave the "vga=..." a try. I looked into the vesafb.txt for valid vesa modes, but none of them worked.
I tried 0x313, 0x317, 0x318 and some 8bit resolutions too, but none of them worked.

I think it's not that bad so I will stay with a standard text console and leave it working... like erwos said: "open an xterm like everyone else"
I think I will do so

So thanks to all, you guys helped me a lot...
Old 06-13-04, 03:17 PM   #8
squirrels

I am having the exact same problem...when I start X and it loads the "nvidia" driver, the framebuffer console is hosed from then on.

I can disable the framebuffer console and just use the simple VGA console as well and everything works fine, but I have no desire to work with the simple VGA console...it really is a major benefit to get things color-coded at the console and to be able to display more than 25 lines at a time, especially at startup time when trying to read the console messages or when running large scripts.

Saying, "Just don't use framebuffer mode" is a solution, but it's a major inconvenience. Using an Xterm window sucks for the same reasons...plus vi works differently under the console in X than the straight text console. Has anyone found a way to fix this so that the Nvidia driver WON'T hose the framebuffer console?
squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-04, 03:59 PM   #9
jerickson314

The problem DOES seem to affect only some cards, but it seems quite unpredictable which cards are affected. For instance, I have had problems with a FX5200 from Asus and an MX440 (I don't remember the vendor), but I had no trouble with an FX5200 from AOpen (besides the fact the card eventually overheated to ruin, but that could have been a problem from poor case ventillation). If you have an older card and are on a 2.4 kernel, you can use version 4363 of the driver. This version has no trouble with the framebuffer but is older and might not support a newer card. I don't know how the minion.de version works for kernel 2.6, if you need the framebuffer and are on kernel 2.6 it's probably worth a try.
Old 06-13-04, 04:08 PM   #10
squirrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerickson314
The problem DOES seem to affect only some cards, but it seems quite unpredictable which cards are affected. For instance, I have had problems with a FX5200 from Asus and an MX440 (I don't remember the vendor), but I had no trouble with an FX5200 from AOpen (besides the fact the card eventually overheated to ruin, but that could have been a problem from poor case ventillation). If you have an older card and are on a 2.4 kernel, you can use version 4363 of the driver. This version has no trouble with the framebuffer but is older and might not support a newer card. I don't know how the minion.de version works for kernel 2.6, if you need the framebuffer and are on kernel 2.6 it's probably worth a try.
I've got an FX-5200 and I'm running with an Nforce-2 chipset (I believe it's an Asus motherboard...A7N8X-E). I don't know if I can get support for that card using an older driver. I am on a 2.4.22 kernel right now.

What is the "minion.de version"?

Also, this doesn't have anything to do with the GART patch distributed by Nvidia with the Nforce audio and network drivers, does it? I didn't apply it because it said it only worked for 2.4.20 and .21 and as I said I'm 2.4.22.

I mean, right now I'm using the "nv" generic driver and it looks fine. I'm not sure if the official driver is necessary for more graphics-intense things.

I mean, if I NEED to run the Nvidia driver I can...it works great, it's just when I'm not using it that it screws stuff up. I can even type "startx" again on my garbled-ass framebuffer console and get back to a perfectly functional X environment. It just bugs me that it's one or the other and not both.
squirrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 04:31 PM   #11
jerickson314

I am not certain whether the motherboard is related, but I know that the AGP support (which GART deals with) is not the sole cause of the problem; the problem still occurs with it disabled. The FX5200 is old enough you can probably safely use 4363 (if it doesn't work you can always go back to the latest release). With a 2.4 kernel, just use the normal download from the archive. Minion.de is a site that releases drivers patched for kernel 2.6, it is not relevant to 2.4. It is the only source I am aware of for kernel 2.6 compatible versions of old drivers.

You only really need the nVidia drivers for OpenGL 3D support (you have to use software rendering with the nv drivers for 3D, which is extremely slow.) For other uses, nv drivers should be fine.
Old 06-14-04, 07:04 AM   #12
mixer030

i use the 4620 nvidia driver and
# VESA framebuffer console @ 1024x768x256
vga = 773

i configured x with

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "TV"

after that my console wasnt busted when switching from x back to the console screens

t.

ps.: attached ... my xorg.conf
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (3.1 KB, 215 views)

Last edited by mixer030; 06-14-04 at 06:06 PM.
mixer030 is offline   Reply With Quote