Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-04, 07:59 PM   #1
monkotronic

Default new driver for fedora core 2?

seems the new kernel for fedora core 2 does not even have the option of compiling for 8k stacks. seems to be the future. any idea when nvidia will have a driver for the 4k stack 2.6 kernels?
monkotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-04, 09:56 PM   #2
elektronisch

Default Re: new driver for fedora core 2?

No, next time read the other 1000 other 4k stack threads.
elektronisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-04, 11:36 AM   #3
cacruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkotronic
seems the new kernel for fedora core 2 does not even have the option of compiling for 8k stacks. seems to be the future. any idea when nvidia will have a driver for the 4k stack 2.6 kernels?
A nVidia person (somewhere on this board) mentioned that the 4K version of drivers should be out relatively soon..... All you can do is wait for an announcement or hack it for now (install last kernel.org kernel).
cacruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 01:39 PM   #4
monkotronic

ummm i did read the other 4000 posts, but no one is estimating a date for the new driver, hence my question remains unanswered. just trying to avoid having to check nvidias driver download page everyday until it is posted.
monkotronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 02:07 PM   #5
cacruden

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkotronic
ummm i did read the other 4000 posts, but no one is estimating a date for the new driver, hence my question remains unanswered. just trying to avoid having to check nvidias driver download page everyday until it is posted.
The estimate is ...... soon

cacruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 04:38 PM   #6
reyawn

my guess is that the nVidia Linux driver team really isn't the top priority for nVidia right now. They probably only have a couple full time developers working on it, porting and adapting whatever code they can over from the windows versions. Just be patient .
Old 06-10-04, 04:59 PM   #7
m4rgin4l

Guys...don't worry...when the driver finally comes up we'll be able to play Duke Nukem Forever in all its glory!

It's pretty obvious that Linux isn't a priority for NVIDIA. I guess we have to learn to accept crappy support, sloooooow driver development process, etc. This is the price we all have to pay for using closed-source propietary drivers.
m4rgin4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 05:25 PM   #8
sehh
GFX 5600 VideoSuite

Cool Re: new driver for fedora core 2?

Hey, you dont like closed source drivers?

Then code your own

This is open source, if something doesn't exist, you have the opportunity to code it.

You can't code? well too bad for you...

thats why linux (etc unix) has such a crappy interface, its made by coders, not
designers who know proper Human Computer Interaction design principles

But hey, you can use the open source 'nv' driver... eh? what? doesn't support
3D? oopps guess you'll have to code your own implementation...

or.. why not buy another video card brand?

oh btw, i forgot to say that nvidia doesn't have to support Linux, since they
never said anything about Linux support...

not to mention.. that we are a minority... what... 3% of the total computers
in the world? i'm sure *nix advocates will jump and say we are a lot more
but trust me, their estimates are not real human users, they count servers
and ISPs. Since server rooms and ISPs aren't in nvidia's client base, i'm sure
we get pretty minimal attention.

so let the flame war.... BEGIN!
sehh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-04, 09:19 AM   #9
m4rgin4l

I could code the driver if I had the info. I doubt NVIDIA will be giving anytime soon the application notes for their GPUs.

Linux has crappy interface? You've been living under a rock for the last couple of years?

I also have a Radeon...sigh...don't get me started with ATi.

I don't have a problem with NVIDIA's position about Linux, in fact, I'm used to that kind of stupid behavior from hardware providers, but what really drives me crazy is their silence. The least they could do is put up an H1 banner on their site saying WE DON'T GIVE A FSCK ABOUT LINUX USERS, THE DRIVERS WILL BE READY WHEN THEY'RE DONE.
m4rgin4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 10:01 AM   #10
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rgin4l
I could code the driver if I had the info. I doubt NVIDIA will be giving anytime soon the application notes for their GPUs.

Linux has crappy interface? You've been living under a rock for the last couple of years?

I also have a Radeon...sigh...don't get me started with ATi.

I don't have a problem with NVIDIA's position about Linux, in fact, I'm used to that kind of stupid behavior from hardware providers, but what really drives me crazy is their silence. The least they could do is put up an H1 banner on their site saying WE DON'T GIVE A FSCK ABOUT LINUX USERS, THE DRIVERS WILL BE READY WHEN THEY'RE DONE.

Heh, crappy interface, he must having been living on the moon for the last godknows how long. Even though the drivers work great for me 5 months is a hell of a long time, I do wonder if there maybe something else at work in delaying the drivers.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:09 PM   #11
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

If they did not care they would not be employing Linux developers -- take a look at the forum for a sticky requesting applications. If you've got the skills get your ass over there and help. They have promised a driver and have obviously been interested in improving their Linux team -- wait patiently and see what they deliver.

You do expect this new driver to support the 6800s don't you? I would like it to...
Do you see any 6800s on the open market yet? I don't... I think those clearly coincide.

Last edited by LordMorgul; 06-11-04 at 01:28 PM. Reason: spelling
LordMorgul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:23 PM   #12
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordMorgul
They have promised a driver and have obviously been interested in improving their Linux team -- wait patiently and see what they deliver.
In 5 months I really hope that it's not just bugfixes, I would expect a rather large performance boost and new features. Guess it's hard luck if they dont.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote