Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-02, 02:50 AM   #1
linuxnewbier

Default now 2nd step

ok i chosed to install linux
now i will tell u guys what i will do and u tell me if it is right or not
1st format my hd
to 20gb and 20gb two drives i mean
one of them i will install win98 on it and the other linux(i will ise fdisk command to format them)
then i will start the installation but how is it auto bootable or i need some kinda startup disk?

and then forexample i wanted to delete or lets say uninstall linux how can i do that ??

thanks for helping me guys i appreciate it
Old 10-18-02, 12:46 PM   #2
drowis

first install windows. on one of the drives. Windows will format this drive for you. reboot your computer. make sure you are booting off the cd. have the first linux disk in the drive. The install will kick in it will install a boot manager that will bring up a screen so you can choose what os you will be useing during this session. It will also format the linux drive. I recommend you go with mandrake 9.0 and run through the automatic config since you may not know the specifics, it is easier to let it do it's thing for you. P.S. when it askes you what packets you want to install make sure you select the devlopemental packet. this has your compiler and if you need to compile a driver you will need it.
drowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 11:03 PM   #3
FishTech

Hi linuxnewbier,

If you install Mandrake 9.0, go into bios (hold down delete as you boot up) and make your CD-Rom the primary booting device (so you can boot from CD), and turn off boot virus protection, and turn off Plug an Play (after installing windows), and write down your Modem Com Port and Irq, and turn your printer parallel port to ECP+EPP... And spend alot of time at the Madrake Linux site at http://www.mandrakelinux.com/en/ and check out the demo at http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/demos/.

Hope You do well, and Love You!
FishTech
Old 11-05-02, 01:26 PM   #4
jegeren88

Send a message via Yahoo to jegeren88
Default installing Windows + Linux

Hi,

just read trough the thread, and I just wanna give U one good advice.
This is valid for Mandrake 9.0 combined with any windows version or even DOS.
I've been installing Linux several times trying to have my machine dual boot into either Windows or Linux (actually I've been experimenting with triple and quad boot as well, if that's what one could call adding more OSystems, ha ha)

Make sure your bios is set to booting from CD as first choice, and your MASTER ("win"c: drive)disk as second boot choice.

After installing windows U have to set the disk that is dedicated to Linux as MASTER on your Primary IDE controller(and connect the windows disk as slave on the same controller).
When U do that and install Mandrake 9.0, Mandrake will automatically recognise the Win boot sector for your slave (containing any Win installation) and auto configure the bootloader with an option to boot into windows (this works, I did it 4 days ago)

What happens if U don't do that :
If your Linux disk still is connected as slave during installation, Linux have to put it's boot sector on the MASTER disk of the PRIMARY IDE controller, this means that your Windows boot sector is being overwritten, which really isn't that bad... until U wanna go back to only having Windows as an OS on your beloved computer. U can format your Linux drive as much as U want afterwords boot LILO or GRUB (depending on which boot loader you choose) will still come up when you boot your windows drive... That's actually the best that can happen, the worst case is that your windows disk even might get unbootable and U have to reinstall...

If U do it the way i described just before, U can when ever U want to just swith back your Windows drive and Linux drive, setting the Windows drive as MASTER on your PRIMARY IDE controller and the computer will boot into windosw only, as if there was never any other OS there...

I was kind of in the same situation as U before I converted to Linux, I wanted to dual boot + being able to delete Linux again if I wasn't satisfied, and I did it wrong so many times, and ended up having to reinstall windows again, whih is really anoying, so I ended up putting a lot of effort into this dual boot thing and how to get it "right"...

I've got several more ways for U to do this, but if you're a newbie to this dualboot thing, I see this solution as the safest and easiest one

good luck man,
and may Tux b with U

Jegeren88
jegeren88 is offline   Reply With Quote