Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-18-02, 08:29 AM   #1
pelly

Default First?

I just couldn't resist.....

I suppose I should say something relevant eh?

Er.....Are there any flavors of Linux which are GUI-heavy as XP?
If so, I'd like to try it sometime....

I hate the idea of installing drivers on a command line...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 11:10 AM   #2
volt

Redhat 8.0 (very nice desktop distribution)
Mandrake 9.0 (same )
Suse 8.1 (Tried it once didn't really like it, although it was version 7.3. It has that XP look as well)
Debian (Don't recommend it for beginners)

There are many more with "good" desktop support but those are the ones I would recommend (in order they are written)
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 11:20 AM   #3
pelly

Do all of these rely upon CLI for the majority of their configuration or do they have a nice GUI approach for those of us who are lazy?

Actually......kind of funny reason for not liking CLI.......

I have ADHD ( Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder )...when I look at a command line for longer than 3-5min....I'm "lost in space" and thinking of something else...

I don't take meds for it b/c I don't want any side-effects.....Somehow, I graduated college ( BSEE ) and manage to write reviews...
Old 10-18-02, 12:35 PM   #4
drowis

it seems that most linux is best configured in the cli. what is your system??

it may not need much since the newest distrobutions see a lot more hardware off the bat and will get you up and running right away. without haveing to go into the cli to set it up.
drowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 12:56 PM   #5
pelly

Here's my system specs:
  • AMD 1600+ ( soon to be replaced )
  • OCZ Goliath 2 SE
  • MSI KT4 Ultra
  • 2) 256MB Corsair XMS PC3200 CAS 2
    or ( depending on test )
  • 2) 256MB OCZ PC3200 "special"
  • Western Digital WD800JB 80GB 8MB HDD
  • Lite-On 40X CDRW
  • Netgear NIC
  • Always changing cards: 9700 Pro, Ti4200-4600, etc...
Given my love of tweaking and testing the latest and greatest, using "default" drivers is not even a possibility...

Old 10-18-02, 01:03 PM   #6
drowis

you may want to try red hat 8.0 my cousin had a hell of a time with mandrake 9.0 he could never get his geforce 4 card installed ,but with red hat 8.0 it went without a hitch. I am running mandrake but i am running an intigrated geforce 2 on the n-force motherboard. (to compile the drivers you will also need to install thew kernel-source rpm so it has something to compile! this rpm has to be done manually since you cannot select it during the install)
drowis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-02, 03:45 PM   #7
volt

I just love the auto-updates

[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 10-18-02, 05:34 PM   #8
volt

Here is an intense review on Suse 8.1

http://www.ratedpc.com/review.asp?id=66&page=1

Old 10-18-02, 09:36 PM   #9
Nuggett

Thumbs up Redhat 8.0

I am almost a total nubie to Linux and I downloaded Redhat 8.0 at work to get a cheap mailserver for the office. We were using an OLD Mac with their mailserver software which couldn't be configured as anything but an open relay!!! Needless to say, suddenly it was locked up one day. We rebuilt it and "released the hounds" and discovered that we were spam central! Redhat to the rescue! We installed it on a spare intel box we had semi-retired. Sendmail can be configured properly so you have complete control of relaying.

In order to become more familiar with it (Redhat), I built a modest box out of parts I had laying around (which included a GeForce2 MX 400 based videocard) and voila, a nifty second box in my dungeon at home! KDE and Gnome can be configured many ways and look great. But, if you can't stand the command line, buy M$ XP instead. I have it on my other box with Windows 2000 (which I love).
Old 10-19-02, 09:50 PM   #10
crimsun

I assume by "flavors of Linux" you mean distribution? In this case you may wish to check out Red Hat-based ones (Red Hat, Mandrake, etc.), SuSE, Lindows, etc.

Really, any Linux distribution can be made to be as gui-"heavy" as Windows* -- just look at KDE 3 and GNOME 2. There are more slim desktop environments, too, like XFce. Also the slimmer window managers like Blackbox, IceWM, Ion, Pwm, etc. are all worth checking out.
crimsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-02, 02:43 AM   #11
kappax

Default Re: First?

Quote:
Originally posted by pelly
I just couldn't resist.....

I suppose I should say something relevant eh?

Er.....Are there any flavors of Linux which are GUI-heavy as XP?
If so, I'd like to try it sometime....

I hate the idea of installing drivers on a command line...

It is not flavors of linux, any linux flavor can have a heavey gui, and any linux flavor can have no gui. you should be asking the question of what WM or DE is as heavy as XP,
and i would say that maybe KDE or Gnome2 but not really they run fast as heck . but i use fluxbox witch is light.

http://yellowk.n3.net/~kappax/screenshots/ss30.png
kappax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-02, 11:27 AM   #12
alphajoe

Default Re: Re: First?

Quote:
Originally posted by kappax
It is not flavors of linux, any linux flavor can have a heavey gui, and any linux flavor can have no gui. you should be asking the question of what WM or DE is as heavy as XP,
and i would say that maybe KDE or Gnome2 but not really they run fast as heck . but i use fluxbox witch is light.

http://yellowk.n3.net/~kappax/screenshots/ss30.png
Is there someplace I can go where there is a directory of desktops that are available for linux?