Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-24-02, 02:22 AM   #25
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I've heard flux is nice, a bit smililar to blackbox :>
Is that a joke that's over my head
http://www.fluxbox.org
It's based off of Blackbox's 0.61.1 code (whatever THAT means) LOL

kappax, are you running that on top of KDE, or by itself?

I just scrounged together some junk in my closet to make a full computer, but the only problem is the HDD I have is just 720MB, can I have anything but X-Windows on Linux with only 720MB???
Old 10-24-02, 02:52 AM   #26
Euphoria
--- ephor ---

Yes you can install it on 720MB. Actually I've installed Linux on 365MB, and you can also find a 100MB version of Linux that would run of a ZIP disk.
You can either search the web for that version, or you can go and do a custom install and just pick the kernel with only packages that are required, dont install extra stuff.
Euphoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-02, 11:30 AM   #27
de><ta
prodigy

Yeah you can do with 720mb. But that would mean your swap partion wont be too big if you start chucking in fancies.

I have the 100mb version of Linux. Its real nifty just the basics. Lowest system i have seen linux running on was a 486 with 12 mb of some ancient ram.

I personally prefer kde over gnome (i dont know just my personal taste). KDE is a heavy weight ui but it is just as tastefull as gnome but it does not stress my rig too much. Applications in gnome seen to be a lot slower compared to KDE eg. coderight and forte.

My only qualm is that the latest version of KDE does not work on the suns!!! It should be able to load but it keeps doing massive core dumps and goes back to login.

I also changed my system. Now i have a sunBlade258. My custom version of kde works but gnome does not.

Fluxbox looks very nice. I like its simplicity and its style. I will chuck on a high resz screen of my work environment soon. I am using KDE2.1.1.

///m-powered | Intel i7 920 | EVGA x58 | 6GB DD3 1600 | EVGA GTX 285 SSC | 150GB VelociRaptor

Drag racing is for fast cars. Autocrossing is for fast drivers.
de><ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-02, 05:17 PM   #28
kappax

Quote:
Originally posted by Matthyahuw
Is that a joke that's over my head
http://www.fluxbox.org
It's based off of Blackbox's 0.61.1 code (whatever THAT means) LOL

kappax, are you running that on top of KDE, or by itself?

I just scrounged together some junk in my closet to make a full computer, but the only problem is the HDD I have is just 720MB, can I have anything but X-Windows on Linux with only 720MB???
Nope, NO KDE no Gnome loaded, all fluxbox i love it small and fast!!
kappax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-02, 12:01 PM   #29
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom

http://www.fluxbox.org/zoom.php?shot...id_fluxbox.jpg
http://www.fluxbox.org/zoom.php?shot...f_fluxbox2.jpg
http://www.fluxbox.org/zoom.php?shot...no_fluxbox.jpg
looks very nice

Last edited by doom; 10-26-02 at 12:12 PM.
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-02, 05:01 PM   #30
doom

Send a message via Yahoo to doom

Euphoria... just really curious, how do you get right-side system stats thing in kde?
doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-02, 01:12 AM   #31
alphajoe

Quote:
Originally posted by de><ta
I have the 100mb version of Linux. Its real nifty just the basics. Lowest system i have seen linux running on was a 486 with 12 mb of some ancient ram.
I remember the old days before KDE and Gnome, when the only GUI options were Motif and a couple of other managers. I was running on a 386 with 8 meg RAM. That was Slackware 1.0.x. I still have the CD here. It would run on any 386 and only used about 32meg of HD space. There was no GUI installer and if you wanted a GUI interface, you had to manually run the configuration from the command line. Things have come a long way...
Old 11-02-02, 12:06 PM   #32
mtrr

Send a message via ICQ to mtrr

Euphoria: where the heck you got this backdrop image from?

I'd love to have this here

cheers
mtrr is offline   Reply With Quote