Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-10-04, 02:01 PM   #1
technikolor

Default XFree86 vs Xorg: Performance

Has anyone out there done some testing between XFree86 and Xorg on the same system?
I recently switched from XFree86 4.3.0 to Xorg 6.7 (on Gentoo X86), using the same NV driver
(5336) on Kernel 2.4.26. I thought I'd pick up the advantages of KeithP's work and probly some performance to boot. I haven't, I've taken a massive performance hit! Games are unplayable slow even though my frame rate is (at the least the counter says so) ok. GLXgears frame rates have dropped by almost 1000 FPS! So after 3 days without a decent round of Q3 I'm heading back over to the XFree86 camp for now.

This now means that 2 things I'd like to run I can't due to speed/stablity: NV FrameBuffer support (causes lockups with RivaFB) and Xorg.

Any ideas? Is anyone else seeing this? Please don't bother posting if you haven't run both on the same system and simply reply with "works okey for me".

Thanx.
XFX 6600GT AGP
TrueCombat: Q3A Mod - truecombat.com
technikolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 02:28 PM   #2
ViRgiLiO

Default Re: XFree86 vs Xorg: Performance

I have the same problem here. MDK 10.1 (Cooker) and X.org server. Usually XFree gets 1970-2000 fps with my GFX200, and now no more than 1300. I don't know exactly why, but maybe, as you pointed before, some new additions on Xorg server drops down performance on X. I think it should be investigated. Nvidia should take care that X.org will be probably as the new standard in future distros.
ViRgiLiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 03:12 PM   #3
dpw2atox

well i hate to burst both of your bubbles but XFree86-4.4.0 and Xorg-X11 6.7.0 are almost the same. in fact xorg is xfree86 4.4.0rc2 and a few other fixes which are not under the new license so any performance problems you have with xorg you will probably have with xf86 4.4.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 05:26 PM   #4
technikolor

Right....... it's not secret that it's the same base. But that only intensifies the question... what has changed between the two X servers that causes such a massive slow down? Are there possible configuration issues? I'll admit that since the config files are effectively the same I just renamed mine and made minor mods to it.
XFX 6600GT AGP
TrueCombat: Q3A Mod - truecombat.com
technikolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-04, 08:07 PM   #5
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

You should be comparing equivalent servers, so not XFree4.3 versus Xorg, get XFree4.4 and see how that compares to Xorg -- if those are similar then perhaps compare 4.4 directly to 4.3, just a better approach. I haven't seen any major performance differences from XF4.3 to Xorg6.7, my system seems to run about the same.
Old 06-10-04, 10:12 PM   #6
kgroombr
Using Linux Since 1995

I have found the Xorgs X server on Gentoo is excellent. Gentoo really needs to put it in the stable release. I had a minor issue with XFree (artifacts when moving icons), but Xorg so far hasn't had this problems.

If you are having 3D issues, I would highly recommend looking for some Mesa stuff still on your system. Just do an ldconfig -v | grep libGL to see if this is the case. Fixing it would depend on what you find.

Also when I changed to Xorgs server, I found that it appeared that the nVidia driver was still installed (the nVidia screen was still showing when starting X), but running the command glxinfo crashed the X server. I re-ran the NVIDIA*.run to reinstall everything and all is great now.

I didn't do benchmarks before I switched (probably would be a great experiment, but I have a test system with a Ti4200 that would work nicely). Maybe will do that tomorrow and then switch it to Xorg. Anyway, it didn't appear to slow my system down.

Ken
kgroombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-04, 01:43 AM   #7
dcstimm

I just upgraded today, using gentoo, the only problem I had, was some weird looking fonts in my gnome-terminal (only app with a problem), and my gnome-clock being messed up....

uninstalling it and emerging xfree fixed the font issue, but not the clock issue, I had to reemerge gnome-panel to fix it. In terms of 3d performance I was getting higher FPS in glxgears, not by much though 1800fps compaired to 1700fps.

Oh well, I switched back to xfree, Ill wait for the next release..
dcstimm is offline   Reply With Quote