Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-12-04, 08:59 AM   #1
kirbata

Default PLEASE help!! GeForce FX 5200GO on Inspiron 5150: 3d problems!!

I have gone through the past 30ish pages of posts, so I think that my problem is worthy of its own post.

I have recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 5150, and decided to install SuSe 8.2 (professional). When I reached the graphics configuration for the setup, the sax2 dialog detected my graphics card as:

VESA - Framebuffer Graphics

The monitor was detected similarly, as:

VESA - 1024x768@60HZ

I still have the invoice of what I purchased, and I know that my laptop has a GeForce FX 5200 GO graphics card (64 mb). This card is not listed in SaX2.

I still had a graphics driver from my main computer, which uses SuSe 8.2, also. It is the following file:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run

I installed this, and used SaX2 to configure my card. Again, I couldn't find the graphics card. I tried using:

sax2 -m 0=nvidia

This set some default graphics, but didn't select the nvidia card, and 3d support was not enabled.

I tried doing NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-4496-pkg2.run --extract-only, and doing a make install from the directory, but this would not work, either.

I used this same process, with the following file:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5336-pkg1.run

I still cannot get 3d support to work.
I read on the forums that the GeForce FX 5200 Go is actually called "0x0332" in sax2. I read somewhere else that it is called "0x0338".
I went into runlevel 3, and tried using sax2 to configure the card with 0x0332. This will work, but I still cannot get 3d support. It turns off, the first time I start x. I decided to try with the 0x0338, but it is NOT LISTED. I have tried with other various cards around that area (0x033A, 0x33B, etc.). These cards will WORK, but NOT with 3d support.

Later, I decided to try the 'NVIDIA_GLX' and 'NVIDIA_kernel' rpms. Still, no luck with 3d support.

Basically, I have tried installing various nvidia drivers, and have tried configuring them in various ways, using SaX2. I can typically get X to start, but I can never get 3d support. If I start SaX2 IN X, and try to enable 3d support, I get a long message saying:

3d capable card detected: NVidia 0x0322 (or whatever card driver I last tried to get to work).
It says a bunch of other text, and at the bottom, it says:
Do you want to enable 3D for this card?

I choose "Yes", restart the laptop, and it is always turned off again, by the time I get back into X. I thought 3d support might actually be enabled, even if it said it was not, but I can test this with a kde game, like tux racer. when i try to start this game, it says that my 3d settings have not been configured, yet.

Here are the relavent sections of my /etc/X11/XF86Config file:

Section "Device"
BoardName "0x032B"
Driver "nvidia"
Identifier "Device[0]"
Screen 0
Option "Rotate" "off"
VendorName "NVidia"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Option "CalcAlgorithm" "CheckDesktopGeometry"
HorizSync 27-60
Identifier "Monitor[0]"
ModelName "1024X768@60HZ"
Option "DPMS"
VendorName "--> LCD"
VertRefresh 40-60
UseModes "Modes[0]"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
Load "freetype"
Load "extmod"
Load "glx"
Load "v4l"
EndSection

Hopefully, someone can help me with this. I would really like to have 3d support for my card.

Thanks,
Kirbata

P.S. My kernel version is 2.4.20-4GB
kirbata is offline   Reply With Quote