Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How many FC2-8Kstacks threads will there be until nvidia releases a new driver?
2-5 2 5.88%
6-20 5 14.71%
21-100 9 26.47%
100+ 18 52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-04, 06:26 PM   #1
ogetbilo

Default How many FC2-8Kstacks threads will there be until nvidia releases a new driver?

Yet another 8kstacks thread.
I got kinda bored. Everyonce when I check the site with a hope of seeing the new driver release, there are at least 2-3 threads with the same topic. My screen crashes when bootup, blah blah blah...

I'm not blaming all those people although they could have had a look at the forum before posting a new thread. They are looking for immediate help.

One could stick one of the related threads on the top, so every newcommer can see it rightaway.

Another irony is it has been almost one month since the release of FC2, and no developer cared to drop couple of lines over here. There are at least 15 FC2 threads, and still counting...
ogetbilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-04, 09:02 PM   #2
LordMorgul
Electrical Engineer

Default Re: How many FC2-8Kstacks threads will there be until nvidia releases a new driver?

This may not be much, but it is from an nVIDIA dev -- http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...19&postcount=4 (better than nothing mentioned at all)
Old 06-13-04, 12:33 AM   #3
dschueths
just another dibert

Send a message via Yahoo to dschueths
Default Re: How many FC2-8Kstacks threads will there be until nvidia releases a new driver?

I counted about 15 threads. I think the thread count won't get to 20 before the driver is available to the general public.
dschueths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 11:58 AM   #4
gilboa
Linux addict...

Just compile the kernel or just download an nvidia-kernel.

Come-on people!
I just upgraded 4 workstation to FC2... took me less then 2 hours including kernel compile, script patching, personalization, etc, etc, etc...

I rather see nVidia take their time and release better performing driver then having them rush an half-baked driver that locks SMP machine every 5 minutes, slow as hell, but works with FC2!

Cheers,
Gilboa
gilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 12:48 PM   #5
CrLf
Linux Power!

They could simply add some info on the next driver to the drivers page on nvidia's site. They could put there "next driver will work with 4k_stacks" and then update it once in a while with some minor information. This way people would get a feeling of motion inside nvidia and not complain so much. Now people feel that the next driver is going to support 4kstacks but that nobody inside nvidia is actually working on the drivers now... This is called expectations management, and it is as important for consumers (and yes, linux folks are consumers, my nvidia card costed me money) as brand management.
Old 06-13-04, 12:52 PM   #6
CrLf
Linux Power!

BTW, for the millionth time, hardware manufacturers should pay more attention to linux users. I bought a nvidia card because it works better on Linux. If I weren't a linux user I would probably have bought ATi, they were cheaper and work just fine on Windows.
Old 06-13-04, 02:30 PM   #7
samwyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrLf
I bought a nvidia card because it works better on Linux. If I weren't a linux user I would probably have bought ATi, they were cheaper and work just fine on Windows.
I would also have bought ATi, but at that time there were no 3d-accelerated drivers for ATi for linux. So I bought a Geforce 4 and I've been happy with the drivers from Nvidia.
samwyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 04:14 PM   #8
SuLinUX

Your nvidia card does work but you just cannot be arsed to recompile or use the 2.6.6_Proper, people really should stop crying wolf with there nvidia card.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-04, 06:46 PM   #9
m4rgin4l

The NVIDIA driver does NOT work. The NVIDIA it's going to be INCOMPATIBLE with the linux-2.6.7; I don't care if the 4K-Stacks is on or off, the option is there and NVIDIA should respect the kernel mantainers' decisions. It's not up to NVIDIA to choose for the users either. The only choice NVIDA has, is providing the drivers for linux or not.

Apparently they decided to provide the drivers. It's up to us to sit (quietly) on our asses and wait, or buy a new graphic card (from "the other" manufacturer).

Presonally, I couldn't care less if they ever provide a working driver, but there are a lot of people out there that are counting on NVIDIA.
m4rgin4l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 08:17 PM   #10
SuLinUX

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4rgin4l
The NVIDIA driver does NOT work. The NVIDIA it's going to be INCOMPATIBLE with the linux-2.6.7; I don't care if the 4K-Stacks is on or off, the option is there and NVIDIA should respect the kernel mantainers' decisions. It's not up to NVIDIA to choose for the users either. The only choice NVIDA has, is providing the drivers for linux or not.

Apparently they decided to provide the drivers. It's up to us to sit (quietly) on our asses and wait, or buy a new graphic card (from "the other" manufacturer).

Presonally, I couldn't care less if they ever provide a working driver, but there are a lot of people out there that are counting on NVIDIA.
Nvidia are going to support 4k_stacks, so it's a case of waiting or using 2.6.6, it's no big deal.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 08:30 PM   #11
Kster

Hey, all you i386 people just be thankful...

You could be waiting for AMD64 driver which simply supports the 2.6 kernel... let alone 4K stacks.
Kster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-04, 09:02 PM   #12
m4rgin4l

I trade you my AthlonXP 2600+
m4rgin4l is offline   Reply With Quote