Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-04, 03:14 PM   #1
mthome

Default Debug performance problems?

There is lots of discussion on getting things installed and working - how about a thread on identifying and solving performance problems of more complexity than having the mesa libraries getting in the way.

For instance:
- what is a good, basic benchmark to use to determine if you are getting reasonable performance? glxgears seems to be the typical one used, but perhaps there are better ones?
- given a benchmarking program (or set), what are reasonable numbers to be getting in different situations?
- what external factors are expected to cause performance impact? Any particular driver/kernel combinations problematic? does SMT/HT help or hurt? SMP?
- what can (non-fatally) go wrong if your performance is way off from what is expected?

cheers,
-mik
mthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-04, 05:56 PM   #2
energyman76b

Default Re: Debug performance problems?

Hi,

> - what is a good, basic benchmark to use to determine if you are getting reasonable performance?

ut2004demo?
ut2003demo?
quake3?

>- given a benchmarking program (or set), what are reasonable numbers to be getting in different situations?

don't know, their was at least one thread about ut2004demo fps

>- what external factors are expected to cause performance impact? Any particular driver/kernel combinations problematic? does SMT/HT help or hurt? SMP?

Sometimes HT hurts (a lot) and sometimes not. SMP is in general usefull.

>- what can (non-fatally) go wrong if your performance is way off from what is expected?

nothing, what should happen? Your box is slow....
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-04, 11:52 AM   #3
mthome

Default Re: Debug performance problems?

Well, I wasn't actually looking for answers - rather, I was trying to stimulate interest in maintaining a performance/tuning-faq with actual numbers, both for tuning your existing machine and for planning upgrades/purchases.

That said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
> - what is a good, basic benchmark to use to determine if you are getting reasonable performance?

ut2004demo?
ut2003demo?
quake3?
All reasonable choices, though I was thinking of something simpler - gears/glxgears seems to be a typical choice for a first cut, though it obviously doesn't go beyond the trivial basics.

Quote:
>- given a benchmarking program (or set), what are reasonable numbers to be getting in different situations?

don't know, their was at least one thread about ut2004demo fps
True, but the performance points aren't grouped in any useful way - the various review sites come closer to what I'm looking for, though they lag way behind on linux benchmarks.

Quote:
>- what external factors are expected to cause performance impact? Any particular driver/kernel combinations problematic? does SMT/HT help or hurt? SMP?

Sometimes HT hurts (a lot) and sometimes not. SMP is in general usefull.
My point exactly - I (for one) would like to know under which conditions HT helps or hurts. The evidence doesn't seem to be sufficiently detailed to help. Example open questions: does the 2.6 HT scheduler help in general?

Quote:
>- what can (non-fatally) go wrong if your performance is way off from what is expected?

nothing, what should happen? Your box is slow....
"your box is slow" is not exactly a helpful answer, when the real problem might vary well really be "you should back up one kernel revision" or "don't use that driver/kernel" combination. My point is that without some basis for comparing performance numbers on similar hardware, one has no idea what "slow" or "fast" really means, let alone how to fix any particular problem.

cheers,
-mik
mthome is offline   Reply With Quote