Go Back   nV News Forums > General Forums > For Sale/Trade

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-06-04, 08:48 PM   #1
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default a video card donation to a worthy person (not me), pls read.

hello everyone. this is a different type of post, and i really was not sure where to post it. i am not sure how many of you are familiar with the enemy territory mod for return to castle wolfenstein, but this mod is an excellent work of art. this mod is free, and 100% stand-alone. you can download it at many sites and play it for $0.00.

anyway, the reason why it is free is because the developers gave up on it and just released what they had done (mp only). the game was full of bugs and totally crap. the developers are not being paid to release any kind of patches for the game or anything, so it has made the game a piece of junk basically.... that is, until a guy named bani (prounounced bunny) picked up the game and decided to make his modification for it; etpro. he has also been hard at work for ettv, similar to rtcwtv etc if you have seen any of those. anyway, this guy has done a lot of hard work for the community (website here: http://bani.anime.net/etpro/), and he doesn't even have a donations thing etc. btw, trust me... he's been working hard, as an active beta tester for his products, i have had a really hard time just keeping up and helping him beta test his new changes and patches.

anyway, to get right down to it, he's building a mod for a game that his computer is barely able to play. he has a geforce 4 mx400, and it is barely enough to play the game (if you haven't played it before, it takes a fairly hefty system to play it). what i'd like to do is make a fund for people to donate a dollar or two to, or maybe even if you just upgraded your video card and you've got a gf3 collecting dust maybe could use some good hands, please... reply here. this is what i'm kindof doing for the ET gaming community for bani as sortof a surprise. that's why i didn't post on any enemy territory forums (he reads them all, trust me, lol) or anything like that. my question is... if you've got a video card that may be better than his gf4 mx440 and wouldn't mind donating it, or if you think it would be a good idea to open up a paypal account or something like that for donations to this video card (if this is the consideration, it should be capped at something for a particular video card). the only real thing is that he develops completely on linux and really needs an nvidia card.

anyway, any ideas or suggestions regarding this issue is greatly appreciated. i am certainly open to them. also, if you have a card you don't need anymore you may want to donate to him, post what card it is. and, remember, i'm not asking that you post a 5900 ultra, or a 6800 or anything like that... a geforce 3 ti200 or something like that would probably be better than what he's got... and it wouldn't be very costly either. thanks very much for reading this sortof story about the life of a person who gives without expecting anything in return.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-04, 08:51 PM   #2
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg
Default Re: a video card donation to a worthy person (not me), pls read.

Honorable.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 07:49 AM   #3
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

i have a geforce 2 gts. its not great but it works
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-04, 08:55 AM   #4
ragejg
nV News Alumni

GF2GTS<MX400, sadly enough...

Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

Old 07-07-04, 11:49 AM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

well, thanks for the offer anyway, i do appreciate it.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 07-07-04, 12:02 PM   #6
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

I have a broken 4200 I accidently broke off a resistor while pulling off the HSF
Old 07-07-04, 12:46 PM   #7
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Well, if nobody ends up having anything for him:

jakup, if you were to send it to me, I could do the repair on it, and then fwd it to this guy.

If you're wondering if i've done thsi kind of stuff before, I've volt modded GF3's, replaced voltage regulator chips on GF3's, added multiplier switches to mobo's, and replaced an AGP port.

Old 07-07-04, 06:40 PM   #8
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

heh, nice... maybe you could even make an article about repairing it or something to shoot two birds with one stone.

Old 07-08-04, 09:02 AM   #9
Stoneyguy
Mechwarrior

Send a message via MSN to Stoneyguy

Well if I can ever figure out why my 9800 gets all blurry and wavy and fix the problem then I can put it in my girls' PC and send him my Radeon 8500.... if that's better then a GF4 mx 440.
Stoneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-04, 10:06 AM   #10
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Ok, well the thing is, the Geforce TI4200 I have actually works, but after I broke off that piece, I get lines all over the screen... But if nobody else has offers, I will send it to ragejd
Old 07-08-04, 02:24 PM   #11
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneyguy
Well if I can ever figure out why my 9800 gets all blurry and wavy and fix the problem then I can put it in my girls' PC and send him my Radeon 8500.... if that's better then a GF4 mx 440.
i really appreciate the jesture, but i don't think he would want it. the problem is that he does everything on linux, and ati's linux drivers are so dodgy that even a faster card than his would probably perform slower.
Old 07-14-04, 04:40 PM   #12
narab

I have a gfFX 5200 128MB I could donate. There is a problem with it, but it works fine. The fan on it is loud. The sticker on the fan fell off and become stuck between the fan blades. I removed the sticker, but am not sure how long it ran like that. The fan now raddles alot. Anyway, it works fine, just a little loud. The only think I would ask for is to be repaid for shipping.
narab is offline   Reply With Quote