Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-17-04, 04:19 PM   #1
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

I am thinking of selling my d875pbz w/3.0c for $200 and then getting one of the new s939 boards, the Asus A8V and a 3500+ CPU for it. I have the intention of upgrading to an FX53 or 55 around christmas time and I would hopefully be ready for it with this motherboard.

Here are my worries... Does anyone know much about this motherboard? I dread the idea of hooking it up and running into issues like GlowStick was having or other wierdness. VIA hasn't been rosey in the past, though I know this is a whole other enchilada. Still, this makes me nervous... Am I likely to run into all sorts of stupid little idiosyncracies with this motherboard/cpu combo? I don't want to be buying myself fifteen hours worth of work to get windows to load if you catch my drift... I've been burned before, by the SiS648 so I don't want a repeat of that time killer.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 04:30 PM   #2
PaiN
Don't make me MAD!
 
PaiN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CT, USA
Posts: 2,111
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Its always a roll of the dice when you change hardware, especially a major platform change and early adoption.......You can always hold off and wait for afew more 939 boards and some mature time..
or
Buck-up little camper and go bravely in to the unknown
__________________
Core i5 2500K @ 4.2ghz | EVGA Superclock M020 | Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 | 8gb G.Skill Ripjaws X PC1600 | EVGA GTX760SC | SB X-Fi Xtremegamer | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w PSU | (2) WD Black 640gb in RAID"0" | MSI SATA DVD-RW | Saitek Eclipse kb | Logi G5v2 mouse / Steelseries QcK | Antec P182 "Gunmetal" | Logitech 5300a THX 5.1 speakers | ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD
-Windows7 64bit
PaiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 04:48 PM   #3
{Sniping}Waste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 264
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

A new bios was released for the A8v and it looks like the problems are gone.
The pci/Agp lock works with the new bios and have heared ppl hiting HTT of 270 and up with a 3500+ stable.
{Sniping}Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-04, 05:28 PM   #4
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

I was just about to mention I had read a few reviews and found out the PCI lock was busted. Glad it's fixed. Now I just have to resist the urge to order one of these things. Might be difficult.

Early adopter... I know I'll regret it, but why do I still feel compelled to do this? Could it be... Satan?
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 08:41 AM   #5
Gator
Unreal Tournament Gamer
 
Gator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 2,279
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Well I can assure you that the Athlon64 is bug free by itself. These chips are just fantastic, my father has been running one for months with no problems, and mine is the mail right now. So have no fears about the CPU, and yes it will out perform your current P4 so it's worth it.

Now as for the motherboard, fresh silicon is always nerve racking, and I gotta tell ya there are only two s939 board available as of today and they're both VIA chipsets. And I agree with you I've had bad experiences with VIA in the past. VIA is supposedly much more stable now though, but if I were spending all that money for an s939 cpu, I'd want some reassurence that it'll work well. My advice is to wait a few more weeks for the Nforce3 250 s939 boards to hit the stores, in fact they could be here any day now . You'll sleep easier I think.
__________________
Athlon64 3200 Clawhammer / Asus K8N-E Deluxe / 1GB Crucial DDR400 / Geforce 6600GT 128MB AGP / Windows XP Pro
Gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 10:29 AM   #6
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,138
Send a message via AIM to Dazz
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Well i am going to try this PCI lock thing then. as i am having problems gettering over 227MHz without my RAID Array falling over.
__________________
"Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 10:48 AM   #7
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,138
Send a message via AIM to Dazz
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

The PCI lock an't fixed i dropped my multiplire down to 9 and increased my FSB to 250MHz dropped my HTT to 400MHz and manually set my memory setting to 2.5/4/4/7. I am using PC4000 and i know it can easily do 533MHz I even increased my Vcore just incase, nothting. As such the PCI lock an't fixed, this is with the 1003 BIOS too.
__________________
"Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 11:24 AM   #8
Riptide
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 8,303
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Yeah, I've been hearing elsewhere that it isn't really fixed either. Sounds like the K8T800 should be avoided.

Actually, I've temporarily shelved my plan to upgrade to the 64 for now. I saw this:
http://www.beyond3d.com/reviews/amd/939/

And I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed. It'll cost me upwards of $850 to get an FX53 and a motherboard for what, at best a 25% speed increase overall vs. what I have now? That's not worth it to me.

That said, I know other people like Sazar who have personal experience and swear up and down not to listen to those benchmarks, that it really does feel MUCH faster, etc.. But I dunno... Seeing as it's a bad time to buy right now w/regard to the chipset situation (need that nf3 250 for s939 badly) and also that I don't have enough cash quite yet I think I'm going to hold out until the FX55 is released. Then I might pull the trigger...
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-04, 11:31 AM   #9
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,138
Send a message via AIM to Dazz
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

I just got this board to last be till PCI EX 16x comes out with a NF3 Ultra.
__________________
"Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 11:36 AM   #10
|JuiceZ|
Registered User
 
|JuiceZ|'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Louisville
Posts: 3,286
Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
And I guess I'm just a little underwhelmed. It'll cost me upwards of $850 to get an FX53 and a motherboard for what, at best a 25% speed increase overall vs. what I have now? That's not worth it to me.
Thats exactly why I went the nf3 250/s754 route. It'll hold me off until PCI-e goes mainstream, which even then won't be that big a deal since we still don't max out AGP8x.

And in respect to the feedback from Sazar, its really the initial jump to the a64 platform that makes the biggest difference overall, not just specficially the s939 socket.
__________________
primary MBP Core i5 2010 | HR | OCZ 120GB SSD
gaming Core i5-2500K @ 4.1GHz w/ CM Hyper212+ | MSI N560GTX-Ti TF II/OC | MSI P67A-GD55 | Silverstone FT02 | X360 250GB + Kinect
htpc IONITX-A-U | 2GB | M350 | XBMC Linux | SABnzbd, sickbeard, couchpotato | NAS Synology DS411J | 4TB
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 11:53 AM   #11
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newcastle, United Kingdom
Posts: 5,138
Send a message via AIM to Dazz
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Well as soon as the A64 3500+ & any S939 board came out i bought it i have been waiting for this platform for sooooo long. Very happy with my A64 3500+ although a better o/cing board would of been nice i.e locked PCI/APG.
__________________
"Never interupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-04, 12:37 PM   #12
{Sniping}Waste
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 264
Default Re: Thinking of going AMD64.. Have a few ?'s

Read this thread with a person with a working lock with a new bios.
http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=328743
{Sniping}Waste is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thinking about switching back to Windows if I can't get this to work!!! dungscooperdave NVIDIA Linux 7 08-15-02 09:29 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.