Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Which distro/os/flavor do you prefer?
Gentoo 16 22.54%
Red Hat/Fedora 19 26.76%
Mandrake 5 7.04%
Slackware 6 8.45%
Debian 11 15.49%
SuSE 9 12.68%
OSX/mac 0 0%
YellowDog 0 0%
FreeBSD 2 2.82%
Other (please specify) 3 4.23%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-04, 07:36 AM   #1
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel
Default What distro do you use?

just curious -- usually a poll like this exists on message forums. being a gaming forum with linux, i feel a poll of what distro/flavor/os you like best would be helpful in deciding which distro to use for gaming.

me personally, i love gentoo linux. the customizability and seeing only 1 thing when i do lsmod makes me almost as happy as using 40mb of memory when i first boot and start the GUI. btw, stage one install; of course.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 08:43 AM   #2
netviper13
Treehugger

Default Re: What distro do you use?

I use Fedora, and am currently downloading Core 2.
netviper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-04, 12:49 PM   #3
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

Used Redhat, Mandrake and Slackware before I tried Gentoo. Now, I'm never going back. Gentoo rocks, period.
Old 05-19-04, 03:06 PM   #4
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

heh, i totally agree. btw, i've probably tried more distros than most have... i've tried redhat, mandrake, suse, slackware, freebsd, knoppix (is that considered "trying a distro"?), and debian. -- so my opinion isn't based on a "i'm used to this distro so i use it" basis; like many are ;/
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Old 05-24-04, 08:47 PM   #5
utanja
Debian All the Way

i have used RH since v. 5 thru 9 and fedora1...but i settle into debian....i like the minumal amount of bloat and hate RH ne w policy about service and support...
- Goethe, Maximen und Reflexionen
Intel 3I-core 2d.gen -3.1GHz;8 gig ram;PureDebian SID[3.2[custom kernel] 8 Debian workstations
plus HP Win7 64bit Wireless Laptop Network/Citrix/NX/VMware
Mozilla/Firebird browsers
my american friends call me tonya
utanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 08:48 PM   #6
paulmer2003

i use Slackware. ive tryed Redhat, shedrake (mandrake), redhat, freebsd. i hated redhat and mandrake there 2 nooby and bloat'y for me. i then tryed freebsd and it was okay, it was fast, but i had 2 learn a new os (unix/bsd) and that was a pain in tha ass then i tryed slackware and i loved it. moral of stopry, use slackware
paulmer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 08:50 PM   #7
paulmer2003

also, on mac os x. so x is VERY nice and it would b toe and tow w/ linux. i love mac's. but the problem is that they are so damn over priced, it is amazing. someday i will get a mac...i hope
paulmer2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-04, 03:40 PM   #8
Imek
Fanatical apathist

I'm using Gentoo- I've tried many distros, and it's the one that appeals to me most. Though I am also planning to try FreeBSD and Debian soon.

Old 05-31-04, 06:54 AM   #9
sorinakis

I'm using TFM (Alpha Desktop Preview), so I voted "other"
sorinakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 05:31 PM   #10
kurt454

Using Slackware 9.1 on one machine. Playing around with Fedora Core 2.
8800GTS 640 EVGA Graphics
Vista32 Home Premium
kurt454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 10:06 PM   #11
dschueths
just another dibert

Send a message via Yahoo to dschueths

Poll should separate RedHat from Fedora....not many users of RedHat anymore.
dschueths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-04, 10:15 PM   #12
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschueths
Poll should separate RedHat from Fedora....not many users of RedHat anymore.
that's actually why i combined them *shruggs*

if you like i suppose i could fix it