Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-20-04, 08:24 PM   #13
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Excellent deal on 3800+ socket 939!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagrant Zero
Sazar, whose OC is that?
there was a thread for oc'ing results with the msi nf3-250 sckt 754 board on the msi forums

I was just browsing through it and this one stood out... there are other results that are also almost as good and probably some that are better but that result shown is an excellent oc i think
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-04, 09:15 PM   #14
Son Goku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Yeah it is their fault and they probably should honor their price as a matter of principle.

But if it's not exactly some huge giant superstore, this could be a huge loss for them if they got say 1,000 orders in that day. I kinda doubt that but you know... If you own the place and this runs you out of business then most people would not honor the price, right or wrong.
Not honoring the price could cost one customers though. This happened to my mother once. It was a grocery store, they had one price on the shelf to a gallon of milk. She got up to the register, they charged a lot more, my mother pointed it out. The person said "oh that's just the shelf price, that doesn't matter". From what she said, she had to use the bathroom, and in the stock room one had to walk through, it was also extremely filthy around the food, though that's another matter.

She might have walked out and left the entire order I don't think she ever went back to that store again Though it can cost, sometimes from a customer service stand point, it is best to honor one's mistakes and be doubly careful next time Hopefully you'll luck out with this...
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-04, 09:53 PM   #15
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Yea... I didnt think it was legit in the first place. Since I work in the retail computer industry, I know that on an item like that, we would really only make about $50 on it. It was curious to me how they bought them from AMD for that cheap, but I guess it was just a mistake.
Old 06-20-04, 10:49 PM   #16
Son Goku

Yeah, at the end of the chain, much profit isn't made. I used to know some people who owned a computer store, first in Albuquerque, and then they moved to Los Lunas (after their store was robbed, they called the cops and the officer told them "You don't need our protection, you're just a business". :lol )

On the systems they built, they only got 10%, and of course there is lighting, rent, etc... Matters were also worse, with Intel's (they were Intel authorized dealers, as well as having built both Alphas and UltraSPARCs), as for them sub-$500 PCs that the Compaq's, Dell's, etc were selling; they indicated Intel was charging them below cost for the CPUs. Then in getting the boxed processors (as part of the program), the extra cost was put on them, along with other small businesses. Can't say AMD does that though, or even that Intel still is...

Still, as a matter of principle it wasn't either Fred's or Carol's intent to screw over their customers. As Fred once said "for our good customers, we'll bend over backwards. But if someone insists on playing hardball with us, we're not incapable of the same."

Just to put this in perspective, when a friend of mine bought a system with a PII 266, there was no reason at the time to believe this didn't have ECC. My friend here latter found something on the web concerning his stepping. Intel had not told them of this through the developer channels, and Fred was less then pleased. He called up Intel and inquired. He was able to pull a meeting off, using some people (and perhaps favors) who knew who worked inside Intel...

When the meeting came off, he questioned on this, and got the "you don't need ECC". Unbeknownst to Intel, they were speaking to a computer engineer, who had been doing this for a very long time, and was arguably quite qualified, considering some of the stuff/projects I heard him talk about from NASA to elsewhere). He not only told them the benefits of it, but also what is wrong with Intel's implementation, and how they could make it better, perhaps speaking a bit over the Intel reps heads, in responce to their challenge.

In the end, my friend got a PII 300 (which included this), but Fred never told him (but he did tell me years latter) what went down. They finally agreed to replace the CPU, but as a trade in, in which the the difference between the devalued amount of the old CPU would be subtracted from the cost of the new, and Intel suggested my friend pay the difference. Fred discussed this with Carol, and they decided they couldn't, in good conscience pass this along, also not agreeing with Intel on this. They traded the CPU, and never told him the wrote up the difference as a business loss, after discussion.

Needless to say, I continued to go there, until they got so fed up, they bailed, and Fred went back to California to work for a hardware firm again. He only got into this, to help out a life long college buddy, who had acquired this business... There's a little more though IMO it's best not stated publically.
Son Goku is offline   Reply With Quote